Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you mechs out there... I have a MC jack I borrowed from a friend of a friend. I jacked up the bike and followed the directions in the manual for the removal of the rear wheel but I can't seem to get the darn thing to come off. I can't get that rear wheel axle to budge and because the pipes are in the way I don't have room to use a broom handle and mallet to tap it out. I have seen the mechanic at the bike shop take off the rear tire without removing the stock exhaust pipes. How do you do that!? :blackeye:
Thanks.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I assume that you are asking about your Vol, not your Vulcan.

Can you turn the axle bolt head on the right side with a wrench? That may help. Some of the axles are stuck on pretty good.

You might also try putting the castle nut backwards on the threads (prongs facing inward). Turn it until it almost even with the threads, then slip a thin metal bar between the exhaust pipes and tap (pound?) on the back of the castle nut. Of course, you'll want to tie the bike securely onto the bike jack before trying this.

When you do get the axle removed, be sure to slather some moly grease on it before reassembling. Life will be much easier the next time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Assuming you have everything disconnected, and the weight of the tire is supported so it's not pulling on the axle, you should be able to stick a screwdriver inbetween the pipes. I put that on the axle and just tapped it out.

Also, it is fairly easy to just take off the top exhaust pipe. I take mine off just so I don't have to worry about scratching it with the screwdriver.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I used a socket to turn mine from the left while pushing from the right.

I use 2 tire chocks shoved under either side of the rear tire to take some of the pressure off the axle. Also helps when reassembling.

·
Registered
770 Posts
You can also use a pair of vise grips to grasp the head of the axle then stick a stout screw driver through this and pry it out. If this doesn't work a 6 or 6.5 mm Allen wrench can be used to remove the pipes allowing you to get to the other end of the axle and drive it out. Good luck.

·
Registered
624 Posts
why not just remove your exhaust it isn't that hard and it gives you better access to the job at hand

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
It is common for the axle bolt to be difficult to remove, especially after a long time between tire changes. The bolt actually corrodes a bit and that corrosion cold welds it to the bearing races. I have a very long screw-driver that fits between the pipes that I use as a drift to encourage the bolt out the other side. As a preventative, I always grease the axle bolt before reinstalling it to allow for easier removal the next time it is needed.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes, it's for the Vol and when I tried taking off the rear wheel it was up on the jack and the wheel was not supported. Doh!

This weekend I'll go with the above suggestions and hopefully it will come out. I could take off the top pipe but I'm worried about snapping off the allen bolt head (I read about that in another thread). That would really suck!

·
Registered
783 Posts
. I could take off the top pipe but I'm worried about snapping off the allen bolt head (I read about that in another thread). That would really suck!
Start shooting some WD 40 or PB Blaster on the allen bolt now. If it becomes necessary to remove that bolt, it will have had some soaking time already.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks buckeye, I'm going to try to do it without removing the pipe first. I've seen the mechanic do it before, I think my problem was not supporting the rear tire and all that weight pulling down on the axle.

·
Registered
686 Posts
This weekend I'll go with the above suggestions and hopefully it will come out. I could take off the top pipe but I'm worried about snapping off the allen bolt head (I read about that in another thread). That would really suck!
Just remove the muffler, not the entire rear pipe. I think it's just pinch bolt underneath and a couple bolts on the back bracket. Twist it off easily.

·
Administrator
52,284 Posts
Have You a piece of wood broomstick or 3/4" to 1" wood dowel?
Use that as a drift, driving it with a 32 ounce ball peen.

Another option is to use either an air powered or electric impact gun to drive the opposite side and break the corrosion between the axle/bearings/spacer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts