Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I'm thinking you got the nut off but can't get the axle out. Like has been said they get corroded, You have to drive the the axle out from the nut side using a punch and a VERY large hammer (I used a 2lb dead blow). As the axle is driven out it scrapes the corrsion off the axle so it is very tough going, use a good punch (I used a "drift") and don'e be afraid to lay into it when you hit it, all your doing is driving it past that corrosion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Actually, it was the self-locking nut that wouldn't budge. The shop that changed my tires overtightened it. This was evident given the washer on the axle that it rests against. It was scored nicely from the nut being driven home on it.

This combined with the fact that those "captured nuts" don't like to be reversed in direction created a situation where I had to put a LOT of torque on it. WAY more than I thought I should have. I ultimately had to drop the exhaust to get a socket on there (the left side wouldn't budge at all). I ended up using the cast socket for my impact wrench because the standard sockets were flexing too much.

Provided I can get the exhaust back on with no leaks, I should be good to go. *I* will not tighted it up that much!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, check the manual for your model. With the castle nut, the torque is around 47 ft lbs. Basically, you just want to snug it. It may be a different spec for the self-locking nut.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I think I would go find me a castle nut and drill the axle out for a cotter pin. I don't know when Suzuki cheapened the original design but those capture nuts have to be really tightened down to achieve their function. To remove them you'd have to turn the axle. As you found out the axle head does allow for enough purchase to get a sufficient contact with a standard socket or wrench.
As mentioned the proper torgue is 47 lbs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'll agree with that Bob. After discussing the fishe for the 2009 c50 SE, I think I can swap in an axle/castle nut from a previous model. I'm going to give it a try and will report back with the results. I've used nothing but castle nuts on rear axles since I started riding... They make sense to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the axle wont move or you cant get the nut off ? i had to take my rear off once . had to get a new axle . it was very tight and it was the first time since the factory it had been out . very corroded .
I know this is an old string, but I have a 2009 C50 Boulevard and I'm down to the axle bolt. Got the nut off, but can't get the bolt out. It turns, with a 17mm, but it's stiff as hell and I have to use a 30" pipe to turn it. It's like it's glued in there and the glue isn't dry. HTF do I get it out without removing the pipes? That's a helluva job in itself.

Thanks for any help, Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is an old string, but I have a 2009 C50 Boulevard and I'm down to the axle bolt. Got the nut off, but can't get the bolt out. It turns, with a 17mm, but it's stiff as hell and I have to use a 30" pipe to turn it. It's like it's glued in there and the glue isn't dry. HTF do I get it out without removing the pipes? That's a helluva job in itself.

Thanks for any help, Bob
BTW, just sk'd with it some more, the fookin' bushing between the frame and the bushing is frozen on the damned bolt. I've been spraying and spraying with Kroil, still won't budge. Bolt turns but won't come out.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts