Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, got a screw in the tire. I'm gotta' take the tire off to take it in. I'm down to removing the axle. That *#&% is not budging! I've had my impact wrench on it, big f'ing crescent wrench.... I had to stop as I was afraid I'd bugger up the left side too much. What is the deal?

Indy shop changed the tire recently... ARG!

2009 C50

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
the axle wont move or you cant get the nut off ? i had to take my rear off once . had to get a new axle . it was very tight and it was the first time since the factory it had been out . very corroded .

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you are just trying to get the axle bolt out, get a prybar or long screwdriver and a rag. Wrap the prying device and pry against the exhaust to push the bolt out. It was a pain to take mine out for the DJ swap and it has been off last year for new rubber.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can barely get it to spin...

The only thing I haven't done is get a second set of hands on it. This should not be a two person job. :evil:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do I need a big socket to get on the right side nut with so I can try to break it free? If so, what size is that?

I can't get on it well with my 24" crescent. Well, I can get a good bite on it, but there isn't quite enough room to spin it from that side.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oooooh. You cant get the nut off!?? that's not good. That nut shouldn't be very tight... it's supposed to be torqued to ~50 ft lbs.

I believe it is a 24mm but might have been a 22mm. I used a box-end wrench on the nut.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If it's really jammed up that tight, you might need to take the exhaust off and use a wrachet, which sucks. They must have assembled it with an impact, which is overkill on an axle nut.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used my impact on the left side to try and back it out. It wouldn't even spin the axle. I believe that little impact delivers a little over 50lb.

Can I put the bike back on the floor so I don't have to worry about knocking it off the lift? Of course I'll have to lift it back up to actually slide the axle out... but just to break it loose?

I have a sandwich in me and have calmed down a bit at least. :smoking:

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
the axle wont move or you cant get the nut off ? i had to take my rear off once . had to get a new axle . it was very tight and it was the first time since the factory it had been out . very corroded .
Same here. It's like a dissimilar metal corrosion between the axle bolt & nut, they were like fused together. Had to cut the nut off with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel tool and replace the axle because I messed up the threads cutting the nut off. Used some anti-seize compound on the threads when I put it back together

·
Registered
192 Posts
If all you are trying to do is take the nut off, it'll be fine on the ground... just be SURE you don't tip it over. It's much easier to do on the kickstand. I'd rachet strap it to the walls or something. Once the nut is out, you can put it back on the lift and pull the axle bolt out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did the anti-seize do the trick? Or have you had it off again yet?

I had the Indy Shop change the tire for me just 5 weeks ago. They might not have addressed the corrosion issue when they had it off. I knew I should have done it myself. :boozin:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Did the anti-seize do the trick? Or have you had it off again yet?

I had the Indy Shop change the tire for me just 5 weeks ago. They might not have addressed the corrosion issue when they had it off. I knew I should have done it myself. :boozin:
Nah, it's more likely that they put the nut on WAY too tight.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Haven't had it off again. Nut was not too tight, I had had it off once before. You could see the corrosion on the threads of the nut & axle once it was apart.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I'm leaving on a two-week trip tomorrow and this week I wanted to grease the splines so I gave it a go and had the same trouble. That sucker wouldn't budge and I was getting concerned that the left side axle (bolt) nut was going to get stripped. After an hour trying to get it off in the stinking heat I gave up. I had to take it in to a shop the next day anyway to get a new tire put on the front so I just got them to do both. (sigh)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yep, this sux. You should always be able to do repairs using average hand tools.... I guess I'll have to plug the hole and limp the 30 miles to the nearest shop. :crying:

Travel safe Midnight! Cheers!

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Yep, this sux. You should always be able to do repairs using average hand tools.... I guess I'll have to plug the hole and limp the 30 miles to the nearest shop. :crying:

Travel safe Midnight! Cheers!
You can't use a plug unless you have tubeless tires.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can't use a plug unless you have tubeless tires.
That's 100% correct. I have the 2009 C50 SE model which comes with the cast wheels. I sought out this model specifically for the tubeless tires.

The tire is up and holding pressure. The glue will be cured by the time monday rolls around at least.

In other news, I think the axle is screwed. I buggered up the 17mm (left) side real good. Looks like I'll be checking for those who are parting out bikes... The size for the right side is 22mm btw.

I can't afford to have a shop fix it now, and I'll have to wait on an axle anyway so... I might as well get the six sided box end wrench I need, even if I have to order it. All the local chain dept stores didn't have one. They all had the star variety which will bugger a bolt quick and fast.

If that still doesn't do the trick... I'll drop the exhaust and get both impact wrenches out. At least I can put it back together to spec that way. *shrugs*

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dude, that SUCKS. I would definitely try some anti-seize when it goes back together. I worked with an old-school dude that used to put a drop of oil into every nut...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the frustration is over. :brick: :curse:

I couldn't sleep last night due to this ordeal... So early this morning I found the tool I needed in a good buddy's toolbox and went back at it.

Once I was able to get ahold (and turn) the axle nut on right, pop! ...and off it came. :applause: Needless to say, I'm thrilled!

I think the problem stemmed from:
1) last shop installed too tight.
2) the axle nut design does not use a cotter pin like I'm most familiar with. Instead, it uses a design similar to a nylon backed nut. This does keep it from backing off (while playing with it), and makes reversing direction very difficult.

Since all the initial leverage must be applied on the right side, I think the lightly buggered nut on the left will be ok, for now. I'm also thrilled about this... ah... time to party. :shades:

Well, after I lube the drive shaft (since I have it off).

Cheers!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Awesome!
I never thought about you not having a castle nut. Mine's an '03 and I still have a cotter pin. Makes all the difference, especially when it's over tightened.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts