Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 C50 - if you want a softer setting on the rear shock, do you turn the ring at the top clockwise or counterclockwise? Actually, I couldn't turn it either way with Channel Locks. I could bend things but couldn't move it.

I used Search for the answer but the pictures had been removed, people said there were numbers that I couldn't fine, some mentioned arrows that I can't find on mine.

I think the easiest way for me to think of it is - clockwise or counterclock. I have a spanner but not the right one so you have to jack it up?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I cant remember the direction of rotation but if you turn it in the direction the spring compresses more the stiffer the ride. I keep mine on "2" 2nd softest.
taking pressure off the spring by jacking it up helps but its still hard to turn, I use a forged adjustable spanner wrench with a 12" pipe on the handle to turn it, you may want to put some duct tape on that handle so when (not if) slips off the spanner you don't mar up your bike.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Pretty much all motorcycle shocks that have a spring load adjustment you will see a nub that the notched collar sits on. Rotating the collar either loosens the spring or increases the tension. Having the rear tire off the ground will make it easier to adjust. Adjusting the tension will affect handling, ride, and ground clearance somewhat. I ride mostly 2 up and kept it in the stock position. A softer ride is nice but I found it too wallowy.

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
Ozrider is right, the lower the nub, the softer the setting. Your bike should have come with an adjustment wrench, if not, one is worth getting, they are cheap. Same rule for your shock. Just a note while you're at it, adjusting the rear shock does change handling a bit. Also, if you do two up riding or are an XL or XXL rider, this will not make your bike a happy turner.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2007 and no shock wrench is included in the tool kit. I used a Channel Lock on it and just end up bending the tabs on the adjustment ring and not moving anything under it. I'm beginning to wonder if moving it is worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts