Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'd like to put a rear rack on my bike so that my wife and I can do some multi-day trips this summer. I assume that I will need a rack to add luggage while riding 2.

Anyways, my local suzuki dealer said that I will need a mounting kit. The rack and the mounting kit come to about $400. That's too pricey for me. Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time..[/list]

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
My rear rack mounts at three points. Two on the licence plate/brake light frame and one at the anchor bolt on the rear seat. ('06 C50)

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
topazdog, it is nice to have the luggage rack to carry your stuff when riding two up. If your stealer is suggesting the rack and mounting kit, that prolly means that you do not have a sissy bar either. If you are packing your wife on a trip, she will prolly be more comfortable and feel a little more secure if you have a sissybar. Without it, you will need to get one of those T shirts that say, "if you can read this......."

So, go to JC Whitney and get sissybar brackets, sissybar and luggage rack. Then get a sissybar bag, and big saddlebags. Now you have enough carrying capacity to go on a week long trip.

BTW also get misunderstood's arm rest for the wife too. Pay your entry fee of $150., write an essay and win the arm rests.

Welcome from Lafayette, Indiana to this place where we show you how to spend many dollars for your bike. :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

This is a new member from Toronto, Canada. I just acquired a 2005 C50 and immediately put on a luggage rack and passenger floorboards.

I put this rack on my bike. It did not look like it would fit on the stock bags and backrest, but it fit pefectly once you took out the bolts. (The plastic washers were not the right size, but the bolts fit.)

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/d..._Rack___Suzuki_Boulevard___Intruder___Volusia

Blue-J

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Make your own !!!!

HappyDaze said:
Here's my homemade rack.........with a bit of imagination you can probably figure out how I did it. Materials used include 2 x 1/8" flat bar bent to the size you want, some threaded rod, a few acorn nuts, some chrome toilet water supply lines to hide the threaded rod, a bit of chrome door trim and voila.... a luggage rack extraordinare !!!! As an added feature I relocated my helmet lock to the luggage rack. You can see some other pictures of it in my gallery.

.......if you want the design sketch, shoot me your email address and I'd be happy to send it out to you, but it might take a bit of time because I have a week off next week and I plan to go cruzin'.

HappyDaze said:
I guarantee that they are not hard to make. If aVOL2 can make one, anybody can. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

:blackeye: ooops......sorry Julie - the devil made me say that.
I made one too,... but dont know where my picture is anymore...

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
blue-j said:
Hi,

This is a new member from Toronto, Canada. I just acquired a 2005 C50 and immediately put on a luggage rack and passenger floorboards.

I put this rack on my bike. It did not look like it would fit on the stock bags and backrest, but it fit pefectly once you took out the bolts. (The plastic washers were not the right size, but the bolts fit.)

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/d..._Rack___Suzuki_Boulevard___Intruder___Volusia

Blue-J
WELCOME to the VR site, new member.

Pete

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
another dumb question

OK...So I did some internet window shopping.

What's the difference between a luggage rack, a rear rack, and a billet rack?

I just fantasize about putting a bag on the sissy bar and assume that I will need a mechanical support below the bag.

The bags that come with the c50t are tiny for two people over a few days...

Thanks again...

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Nothing really. The terms have become almost interchangeable... with the exception of the billet rack. There are two basic types of racks: one that mounts to your sissybar and one that mounts to your fender in some fashion.

Billet refers to the making of the rack (or other item). Billet is usually made from a solid block or flat or metal. Therefore you have no joints and less flaws. It is usually considered better quality and therefore billet will be more expensive to buy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts