Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Very new to MCs. I have an 2008 C50T. Enjoying it a great deal.
I just noticed something yesterday. When I turned the ignition key on, the rear lights did not come on. The headlight, front lights, turn signals (front & rear) and brake lights work fine.

Is it me or aren't the rear lights suppose to come on when the ignition switch is turned on? I am pretty sure they are suppose to, just asking before i go further.

Is this a fuse problem and if so, where is the fuse box located?

Thanks so much. Love this site.

Curtis

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yes, the rear running light is supposed to be on anytime the headlight is on.

I'm not sure when they switched to the LED rear light...mine is a 2012 and it has the LED's.

Before the C50's used LED's, they used a rear light bulb that has two filaments - one for running light (always on) and one for brake light. If your bike has the older bulb-type tail light, it's most likely you just have a burned out filament. Replace the bulb and see what happens. It's the cheapest and easiest thing to do first. If that doesn't fix it, then you can start tracing wiring, looking for opens, checking fuses, etc.

·
Registered
624 Posts
First, the rear turn signals are only on when turning, whereas the front turn signals are always on. So don't expect them to come on.

The rear taillight should light up with the ignition. Then when you squeeze the brake or brake pedal, the taillight gets brighter.

Are you sayings the taillight is off completely until you squeeze the brake, then it comes on? Sounds like you need a new bulb, because the low filament is burned out.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm not sure when they switched to the LED rear light...mine is a 2012 and it has the LED's.

Before the C50's used LED's, they used a rear light bulb that has two filaments - one for running light (always on) and one for brake light. If your bike has the older bulb-type tail light, it's most likely you just have a burned out filament. Replace the bulb and see what happens. It's the cheapest and easiest thing to do first. If that doesn't fix it, then you can start tracing wiring, looking for opens, checking fuses, etc.
2008 has 2 filament incandescent bulb

the front signals and the tail light are 1157 bulbs
the rear signals are 1156 bulbs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, the rear turn signals are only on when turning, whereas the front turn signals are always on. So don't expect them to come on.

The rear taillight should light up with the ignition. Then when you squeeze the brake or brake pedal, the taillight gets brighter.

Are you sayings the taillight is off completely until you squeeze the brake, then it comes on? Sounds like you need a new bulb, because the low filament is burned out.
GrapeApe: Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. The tail light is fine.
My issue is (for lack of a better term) with the 2 rear "bullet" lights, they do not come on when I turn on the ignition switch. The front one do come on.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
My issue is (for lack of a better term) with the 2 rear "bullet" lights, they do not come on when I turn on the ignition switch. The front one do come on.
Normal. Only the front turn signals are also running lights. The rear signals are not.

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
They're not supposed to. They only work when you have the turn signal switch engaged. If you want to run them as running lights too, you need to purchase a conversion kit. Check with your local laws, because these are often illegal to use on the street.

Reactions: cgattnylsc
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.