Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
  1. I've been absent from the site for a while due to a cancer battle then wrecking in Corning NY on the way back from The Cabot Trail.
I have not ridden since but still have the Volusia.

The website looks real nice.
Talk to you later.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Welcome back :)

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Well, that's certainly a rough way to spend a few months. Welcome back, a little wiser and older.... :)

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Welcome back, hope everything came out well. Are you still doing the modified drives? If so there are a couple of folks looking for one.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the warm welcome back.

I am happy to announce the doctors say the cancer is all cleared up. Thank you god!

My wife and I were involved in a accident on the freeway when the rear tire blew, could have been much worse as I suffered a broken scapula, 3 broken ribs, lacerated spleene and a concussion. The love of my life got a bit of road rash on her face and a concussion. Happy the bike went right into the ditch rather than left into traffic. Thank God again.

This being said I am on the fence weather to ride again. I'm not afraid and am confident in myself but was this a warning I know the wife is finished, she was a major influence on going for a spin.

I do have the parts to assemble 3 dj drives I'll put them together and post. What is the going rate these days?

Life sure is both humbling and beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,398 Posts
Awesome news on the cancer. Sorry to hear about the accident, but I'm glad you guys came out fairly well from it.

Only you can decide if getting back on a bike is the right thing for you to do or not. If you do, take it easy at first. A bad accident can mess with your head.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Your situation sounds a lot like another member her, Big Pete. He and Lillie were heading south on his Valk and his back tire blew on I79. A lot of us re-examined our helmet and gear choices after that wreck. It also pointed out the benefit of tire pressure monitoring systems.... Something I have on my CTX and won't ride without anymore...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For us helmets are a must even though we had half helmets.
The wife would have benefited from a full helmet in that incident.
We have geared ourselves up in the past to the point it took the pleasure out of riding. We settled on good helmets, heavy jeans, and good boots as our risk to reward ratio.

I tell myself just stay on the two lane roads but when I examine my past near misses the overwhelming majority was on the back roads.

Still have the dirt bikes and the back yard but the cafe' racers got to go. Still have the Volusia for now.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
After Pete's accident, I went ATGATT with a full face. Three weeks to the day later, I wrecked my C50 on I79 in a construction zone up in Erie. I have no doubt in my mind that the full face saved my life. The gear did it's job and I walked away with a broken wrist. That was 2009 and 11 years later, I still dress like a power ranger whenever I put a leg over the saddle. 30 years of riding and 2 serious accidents, both ATGATT, both I walked away from. There is a risk/reward to riding for sure. I find that reducing that risk is enough of a reward. Glad you're back!

·
Super Moderator
24,398 Posts
I always wear a full-face. I have no idea how people ride in half helmets. Too much wind and too many bugs. As for the rest of the gear, I always have a riding jacket on, mesh in the summer and leather in the winter.

For pants I wear the IronWorker Jeans from Cycle Gear. I've tried riding pants, but they're too obnoxious and I know I wouldn't wear them. Kevlar lined jeans on my body are better than armored mesh riding pants at the house.

I have a pair of TCX riding shoes that I usually wear. They are just high tops and don't go all the way to the calf, but much like the pants, good protection I will wear is better than great protection that I won't. Occassionally I will ride with just regular tennis shoes on, but that is usually when I'm just running to the store and only riding a few miles.

I always wear gloves, can't stand riding without them. I do have fingerless gloves that I will wear in the summer, but I got a pair of good mesh gloves that I really like last summer that have the finger to work a smartphone. After that, I did a much better job of wearing them instead of the fingerless.

As for which roads are safer, there's no contest, the interstate is much safer. Watch accident reports in the news. The overwhelming majority of them are caused by cars turning left in front of the bike or pulling out on them from parking lots. Those hazards don't exist on the interstate.

I do like Skrap's comment about the TPM system. Neither of my bikes have them, but you can buy an aftermarket system, and I know that I am bad about not checking my tires before I ride. I might just invest in a system after hearing both of you talk about having blow-outs on the interstate and going down.

·
Super Moderator
8,796 Posts
Motiv, I am glad, glad, glad you and your wife are doing OK, after your trying experiences!!

BearBait had a coworker who had ridden for years and years, but gave it up. When asked why, the guy said, "I felt like a fugitive from the law of averages."

As to DJ Drives, there isn't a 'going rate' because it's been a long time since anybody has offered 'em. There's a market -- new members ask about them -- so offer when you're ready, Motiv.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was considering installing a TPMS system on the Yamaha Venture but decided against it cause it would have created another potential leak point.
Checked tires every two days instead. Not sure if it would have helped in a blow out situation.

It felt like a death wobble but on the rear of the bike and happened so fast you just let instinct take over, can't train for this.

The guy who stopped told the wife that I did a good job for as long as I could to keep it under control before going into the ditch.

Funny thing, neither I or Julie remember the crash when it occurred, I do know I went through the windshield after serving the bike when I came to.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Riding is a "choice" only the individual can make. My wife was involved in a bike accident while riding with my father (before we were married). They were hit from behind by a drunk and were thrown into the ditch. My wife will occasionally ride short distances with me but is no way comfortable doing so. I'm okay with that as she doesn't say anything about my riding (I've got good life insurance) and have never had a serious bike accident. We make our choices and live (or die) with the results. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you all for the warm welcome back.

I am happy to announce the doctors say the cancer is all cleared up. Thank you god!

My wife and I were involved in a accident on the freeway when the rear tire blew, could have been much worse as I suffered a broken scapula, 3 broken ribs, lacerated spleene and a concussion. The love of my life got a bit of road rash on her face and a concussion. Happy the bike went right into the ditch rather than left into traffic. Thank God again.

This being said I am on the fence weather to ride again. I'm not afraid and am confident in myself but was this a warning I know the wife is finished, she was a major influence on going for a spin.

I do have the parts to assemble 3 dj drives I'll put them together and post. What is the going rate these days?

Life sure is both humbling and beautiful.

Sorry about the accident and congratulations on your positivity, life is beautiful. Im looking for a DJ drive and heard good reviews about you. You can reply or email me at [email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts