Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been reading posts for about a year now and love all the info, this site is great!

Cliffs notes:
1. Debaffled yesterday.
2. Died on me today.
3. Changed the plugs.
4. Checked the fuel.
5. Jumped it.
6. No dice.

Yesterday I after much research and consideration I decided to debaffle my 01 Vol. I love the sound of it now! Unfortunately, on my way to class today I made it about two blocks toward campus before it misfired and died on me. Couldn't start it back up. After pushing it back home, I took out the plugs and noticed they were bad, so I replaced them. Didn't start. Threw a jumper on the battery. Didn't start. Checked the tank to see if it was getting fuel. It appears it is. And thats pretty much as far as I got. Something similar happened like this last year, with a hose being disconnected and it wasn't drawing fuel. The same hose was disconnected again and as soon as a reconnected it, it did fire once but not enough to start it, and it hasn't fired since.

Anyway, I'll keep researching this. It probably does need a good carb cleaning and valve adjustment anyway. Any thoughts and tips might help, I tend to overlook the easiest solutions!

01 Volusia, 45k miles.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
welcome out of the shadows from central florida.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
redranger859 said:
Well I've been reading posts for about a year now and love all the info, this site is great!

Cliffs notes:
1. Debaffled yesterday.
2. Died on me today.
3. Changed the plugs.
4. Checked the fuel.
5. Jumped it.
6. No dice.

Yesterday I after much research and consideration I decided to debaffle my 01 Vol. I love the sound of it now! Unfortunately, on my way to class today I made it about two blocks toward campus before it misfired and died on me. Couldn't start it back up. After pushing it back home, I took out the plugs and noticed they were bad, so I replaced them. Didn't start. Threw a jumper on the battery. Didn't start. Checked the tank to see if it was getting fuel. It appears it is. And thats pretty much as far as I got. Something similar happened like this last year, with a hose being disconnected and it wasn't drawing fuel. The same hose was disconnected again and as soon as a reconnected it, it did fire once but not enough to start it, and it hasn't fired since.

Anyway, I'll keep researching this. It probably does need a good carb cleaning and valve adjustment anyway. Any thoughts and tips might help, I tend to overlook the easiest solutions!

01 Volusia, 45k miles.
What hose was disco'd last year that needed to be reconnected? charge the battery, change the plugs and check all the VENT hoses.

I don't see how the debaffle can be causing this.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Welcome From Wisconsin...I'm sure there is someone here that can help you...good luck...

·
Registered
128 Posts
The vaccumn rubber hose to the tank valve goes thru a "T" & opens it & allows gas to carb.

If it was off & you ran the carb dry it will take some cranking & choking to fill the bowl & get it started.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NH VOL RIDER said:
The vaccumn rubber hose to the tank valve goes thru a "T" & opens it & allows gas to carb.

If it was off & you ran the carb dry it will take some cranking & choking to fill the bowl & get it started.
Yeah thats what happened last year and it got disconnected again. I put it back together. Once I get the batt charged I'll try and get it fired up tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the debaffling that jacked something up, which I assume isn't the problem, but it did make me wonder considering I just did it.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Take the football off and spray WD40 in the intake while you crank it. It will run on WD40 till you get fuel in the carbs.(just like starting fluid) The VOL has a vacuum operated fuel valve so you have to make sure the little vacuum hose is hooked up.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
13,217 Posts
:oops: This happened to me too, but well after my pipes were debaffled ...

also check the main vacuum line that goes into the fuel pump ... that is what came loose on my '01 ... this tube has no clamp on it to hold it there ... I put one on when I reinstalled it ...

it is a pain to get to due to the closeness to the frame (especially if ya got big hands/fingers)

I used starter fluid (was told later that I shouldn't have :oops: ... but have not seen/heard any adverse affects from doing so ... )

even after I got it all back together & buttoned down ... I had to give it one last shot of fluid in the air box to get her purring again ...

Hope it works out for ya ! gotta keep our "old School's" rollin! 8)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I believe the newer WD40 formulation no longer has flamable propellant.

shooterrex said:
Take the football off and spray WD40 in the intake while you crank it. It will run on WD40 till you get fuel in the carbs.(just like starting fluid) The VOL has a vacuum operated fuel valve so you have to make sure the little vacuum hose is hooked up.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
458 Posts
why are the hoses coming loose to begin with?? Fix that problem and do what the other posters mentioned. I bet the bowl was run dry. Also why would you want to spray WD40 into the intake....what about gumout or some other carb cleaner....that would have no issues firing up on that stuff.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Starting fluid, ether, is really corrosive and will eat your valves. When I owned a Tug Boat company, the crew would use starting fluid to fire up the Cat diesels. They weren't supposed to, but they did and when the heads were pulled the piston tops and valves had pit in them from the starting fluid.

When you empty the carb fuel bowl, it takes up to almost a minute of cranking to get the carb to feed the cylinders on our Volusias.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I put the hoses back together, and cranked it a couple of times and she fired right up! No starter fluid needed. It's always the simplest things. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
13,217 Posts
redranger859 said:
Yeah I put the hoses back together, and cranked it a couple of times and she fired right up! No starter fluid needed. It's always the simplest things. Thanks for the help!
now make sure all your clamps are tight & secure & add them where there arent any ... :lol:

glad to hear ya got it going again ... good feeling once ya hear the motor rumble back to life ~ mine was down for a week b4 I got to hear it again!

8)

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
redranger859 said:
glad to hear it worked out.

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
WELCOME from Texas.

Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts