Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I had a recent experience when I took the 56 Enfield to the Vintage rally in Luckenbach Texas. Carried the bike in my truck bed the 250 miles. Offloaded and had a great ride day of 50 miles on Saturday morning. Rode to the rally site and entered the bike in the show. 50-59 year models. Lined up next to a 59 BMW. While I was browsing the hundreds of bikes on display back to 1917, I came back to mine and the BMW owner said his bike fell over into my and damaged the gas tank and front fender. Yes, it did, I found a dent, scratch into the metal on both the tank and fender. He said he would split the costs of repair and that's all he would agree to? Got his contact info out of Austin. I'm home now getting an estimate of repair for mine and will send it to him for payment. Not sure what the outcome will be. He may flake out on me entirely... May have to get my firefighter son and a few of his pals who live in Austin to pay him a personal visit. Lol. Guy said the bike just fell over, no one tampered with it, no one standing next to it! I later found out the guy kickstarted his bike about 10-15 minutes prior to the incident. Something he did not share with me. This vintage BMW has the kick starter on the left side and is levered from the side only not by straddling the bike. Moves down and through perpendicular away from the bike. Guy who was on my other side with a bike said it may have tilted the bike off the center stand just enough to than later fall to it's left side from a depression in the grass. My gas tank is customized and one off, hand formed. May have to be completely redone. Darn the bad luck.

My bike is the second in line here.

Damaged by the bike reflected here

Not the one that fell over. Beautiful bike, great wheels.

Real antiques

Drive belt

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Hello all, I had a recent experience when I took the 56 Enfield to the Vintage rally in Luckenbach Texas. Carried the bike in my truck bed the 250 miles. Offloaded and had a great ride day of 50 miles on Saturday morning. Rode to the rally site and entered the bike in the show. 50-59 year models. Lined up next to a 59 BMW. While I was browsing the hundreds of bikes on display back to 1917, I came back to mine and the BMW owner said his bike fell over into my and damaged the gas tank and front fender. Yes, it did, I found a dent, scratch into the metal on both the tank and fender. He said he would split the costs of repair and that's all he would agree to? Got his contact info out of Austin. I'm home now getting an estimate of repair for mine and will send it to him for payment. Not sure what the outcome will be. He may flake out on me entirely... May have to get my firefighter son and a few of his pals who live in Austin to pay him a personal visit. Lol. Guy said the bike just fell over, no one tampered with it, no one standing next to it! I later found out the guy kickstarted his bike about 10-15 minutes prior to the incident. Something he did not share with me. This vintage BMW has the kick starter on the left side and is levered from the side only not by straddling the bike. Moves down and through perpendicular away from the bike. Guy who was on my other side with a bike said it may have tilted the bike off the center stand just enough to than later fall to it's left side from a depression in the grass. My gas tank is customized and one off, hand formed. May have to be completely redone. Darn the bad luck.

Real antiques

Drive belt
Split the costs?!?!??! I'd have told him where to stick his bike and his offer! It wasn't a matter of you both were involved in the incident and both were to blame.

Hope you got his insurance info.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Split the costs?!?!??! I'd have told him where to stick his bike and his offer! It wasn't a matter of you both were involved in the incident and both were to blame.
Hope you got his insurance info.
+1 to this quote, you shouldn't have to pay for anything!
He said he would split the costs of repair and that's all he would agree to?
That's the type of person that gives bikers a BAD name!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Wow that really sucks. And to top it off only agreed to pay half. He has a set as big as a bull to offer only that.

Well I hope everything works for you.

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
Should have given me a call...he'd have paid up...F'n bastages from Austin anyway...

BB

Reactions: rvcycleguy

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts

Real antiques

Drive belt
That takes balls....

This strikes me as similar to getting hit from behind at a stop lite.

It is HIS FAILURE to control HIS bike.

That princess needs to put on his big girl panties.....

Reactions: 10-64 and RellaLou

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
That upsets me. I can only guess how you felt.
What was your reply with his half a$$ offer?

·
Registered
23,533 Posts
Dude, that really blows. He just thought he'd get off cheap. Have your mechanic inflate the bill some.
:bandit::bandit:

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
OMG, look at the Ariel next to the 36 R12. Holy cow!

The bottom line is never go to a bike night or a show if you don't want dents in your bike. You're lucky the guy owned up to it at all. You really don't have any recourse. His bike might have fallen over, but it was the show organizer,who put the bikes on grass without enough room between them, that is to blame.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I show my vintage bikes but I would never park them in a line that close.
1) people try to sneak through between the bikes, leave room for that. It can be as simple as catching the mirror with their coat. It is not just about falling over.
2) How can one see the bike, the engine details stacked up like that. People leaning over to try and make out details of your engine, frame. Give them room to admire the bike and your efforts.
3) If it falls it lands harmlessly in the grass, but more important, if theirs falls it lands harmlessly in the grass and not on you bike.

I agree that the issue starts with the Rally organization. If that happened to mine and was not my own fault, I would be pissed. Even at rallies where they provide kick stand blocks on grass, if mine falls it lands in the grass, not on the bike next to me. I went to an airshow/antique show and the attendant showed me where to park my bike, right between two other vintage bikes. I ended up parking with the modern bikes and I had as many visitors admire my bike and even ended up leading the parade of vintage machines down the runway. But it was evident all day that people were leaning over the bikes, holding their cameras at arms length trying to see and record those other vintage bikes.

That said, I have seen time and time again bikes stacked in a domino row, even at shows. Not my bike and I hope not yours in the future.

I do think you should file a protest with the organizer and make sure they leave adequate space for treasures like yours at their next show. Here I parked next to other bikes instead of in the show line where one soft piece of ground could have led to the domino effect.

Change the way you think and do not accept being told where to park unless it agrees with your self preservation instincts.

·
Super Moderator
25,574 Posts
sucks to say the least...and the balls to offer to pay half...one would think anyone having a vintage bike and realizing how much care and value one puts on it would feel obligated to make things right...basicly repairing the bike to what it was before "his" bike caused the mishap. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sucks to say the least...and the balls to offer to pay half...one would think anyone having a vintage bike and realizing how much care and value one puts on it would feel obligated to make things right...basicly repairing the bike to what it was before "his" bike caused the mishap. Best of luck.
Thanks. Last message from Ace, the guy who's bike fell onto mine said he thought we agreed to split the costs for both bikes? His was damaged as well. Torn seat, scratch on the handlebar end that dented my tank. I said, WTF? Why would I agree to anything like that? That would essentially suggest we are on our own. If mines $500 and his is $300 then we split $800. I told him that I hope he sleeps well at night knowing he is a jerk. Then he said he lost his job last Monday. Plant closure? Idiot.

I removed the tins, tank and fender and dropped them off at the paint shop today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.