Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
No virgin here. Been caught in it about 4 times this month. of course, all within 10 miles of being home. strong stuff too. Actually felt good with all this heat we've been having. Just remember to slow down!
The roads can get pretty slick with rain after a dry spell, be especially watchful for those white lines at a stop light, Verrrrrrry Slippery lol.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good luck! I got caught Friday with my "Turtle shell" helmet on with NO RAIN GEAR. The wife took it out one day to make room for some stuff when we knew it wasn't going to rain and never put it back. It was my fault for not checking but oh well. By the time I made it under an overpass I was saturated. I can imagine how folks were laughing at me. I was running about 40 mph hunkered down under the windshield. The rain drops were the big heavy variety too. To top it all off I had just removed my lowering kit and still have the short windshield on that I cut short to compensate for the lowering kit so no rain/wind protection at all. Not a fun time.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Made it home dry as a chip. The rain went north of us....lying radar. ;) It was noticeably cooler though. Made for a really nice ride. I only work 7 miles from home, rides like almost make me wish I lived a little farther from work.

·
Registered
19,519 Posts
If you think riding a motorcycle in the rain sucks, try doing it on a bicycle. There's no such thing as rain-gear, because you're constantly moving and sweating. Covering yourself in a rain suit would be like inviting a personal sauna to the party.
The real bummer is you can get to 30-40mph on a bicycle pretty easily. So the rain hurts just as much, only you are wearing MUCH LESS than on a motorcycle and you don't have a windscreen to duck down beneath. That and your feet get soaked and can blister from the friction. Good times!

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Man got to get a different bicycle or legs. I can only push to about 25 mph.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Man got to get a different bike or legs. I can only push to about 25 mph.
Chaps! I carry mine during the rainy seasons and the only downside is if it's pouring at an intersection your crotch still gets soaked. Some boots that are actually waterproof are on my list...not just my Red Head clearance specials that say they are waterproof

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Village Idiot
5,021 Posts
Got tagged last week with some hail. Now that I don't need to take the super slab to work any longer, it wasn't too bad...not too much fun either. I don't like white knuckeling it. We needed the rain bad though. The grass isn't green at my house :(

·
Registered
19,519 Posts
Man got to get a different bicycle or legs. I can only push to about 25 mph.
It's all legs and lungs! :biglaugh: I can push my wife's $800 Novara just about as hard as I can push my son's $2500 Cannondale over the same route. I did surprise myself last night. I had my Podium set up for touring and never noticed the extra weight. I have a race on Saturday, so I stripped it back to race trim (including my carbon wheels and 19c slicks). Took the bike on our Monday night group ride and I averaged 2.72mph FASTER than my regular time for the route... :wayhappy:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is rain bad for your bike however? What are the drawbacks to getting the bike wet either while riding or while it's parked outside?

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
My first time riding in the rain in the street was when I was taking my Motorcycle safety course. Annnnd of course it was when I was taking the actual test! Since then, I've ridden in Hurricane Irene, some snow, and a few Nor' Easterns as well (bike was only mode of transportation). Oh can't forget the Iron and Steel run this year to Quantico, VA!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Is rain bad for your bike however? What are the drawbacks to getting the bike wet either while riding or while it's parked outside?

Thanks
Rain itself shouldn't be bad for your bike- just wipe it down good. The worst thing about rain, in my opinion, is if I have to ride in it! It's not the safest riding, and I feel miserable!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts