Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations: I'm in need of an inexpensive, but good quality rain suit (if such things exist). My 8 year old Columbia pants and jackets don't cut it on a bike ...
Thanks!

Registered
You get what you pay for. Inexpensive is cheap. Cheap doesn't work.

Nelson Rigg Stormrider is the best rainsuit on the market. Well worth the investment.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
You get what you pay for. Inexpensive is cheap. Cheap doesn't work.

Nelson Rigg Stormrider is the best rainsuit on the market. Well worth the investment.
As always, great help, Skrapiron! Thank you!

Is it any breathable at all?

PS: I think $70 is well withing the inexpensive range for motorcycle gear! Cheaper would only be a plastic bag type of the suite...

Registered
Ive been using the same Frogg Togg suit for over 5yrs. Never let me down yet. Also can be used for warmth on those chilly morns when its suppose to get quite warm later on.

Registered
Frogg Toggs are great and then they are not. The material is very light and very easy to puncture or melt on hot pipes. The seams give out and leak after a while and they are also quite baggy and will flap in the wind.

Super Moderator
Frogg Toggs are great and then they are not. The material is very light and very easy to puncture or melt on hot pipes.
+1

Check to see how close to your legs ride relative to your header pipes. If very close, consider something other than Frogg Toggs -- perhaps something with a heat-resistant patch sewn on.

I can still recall seeing Elmoanne arriving at the 2017 Yankee Rally with a foot-diameter chunk out of the pants of her Frogg Toggs. She had a lot of work getting the melted crap off her bike, too.

I've just gotten a new set of rain gear from Olympia. Can't offer a report yet, however, as I have (lazily) left my bike at home on this Spring's many rain days.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
+1

Check to see how close to your legs ride relative to your header pipes. If very close, consider something other than Frogg Toggs -- perhaps something with a heat-resistant patch sewn on.

I can still recall seeing Elmoanne arriving at the 2017 Yankee Rally with a foot-diameter chunk out of the pants of her Frogg Toggs. She had a lot of work getting the melted crap off her bike, too.

I've just gotten a new set of rain gear from Olympia. Can't offer a report yet, however, as I have (lazily) left my bike at home on this Spring's many rain days.

It looks like they've fixed the issue: "New heat-resistant inner leg liners" - pants description.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered pants and jacket Frogg Toggs Road Toad Reflective Rain Gear. We'll see how it holds-up in the rain.

Thank you everyone for recommendations!

Registered
I cut the hood off my Frogg Toggs jacket just to make it roll up a little smaller.

When I'm wearing it on the road I have a helmet on anyway, and when I'm off the bike I always carry a Minnetonka leather folding cowboy hat in the saddlebag. My head is dry either way.

Also, the hood is rolled into the collar when not needed, making the collar thick enough to push up on the back of my helmet.

Super Moderator
I cut the hood off my Frogg Toggs jacket just to make it roll up a little smaller.

When I'm wearing it on the road I have a helmet on anyway, and when I'm off the bike I always carry a Minnetonka leather folding cowboy hat in the saddlebag. My head is dry either way.

Also, the hood is rolled into the collar when not needed, making the collar thick enough to push up on the back of my helmet.
I hadn't thought about doing that, but that's a great idea. The hood is essentially useless unless you want to use it once you get off of the bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts