Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a comment on the $40.00 radios and speakers on E-bay? Are they worth it?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Does anyone have a comment on the $40.00 radios and speakers on E-bay? Are they worth it?
you get what you pay for...

In the electronic and audio world, this applies greatly. It may sound good in the garage without the engine running, but once you hit the road with wind and engine noise prevelant, it probably is not functional. And may have a high level of distortion.

rv

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
radio

you get what you pay for...

In the electronic and audio world, this applies greatly. It may sound good in the garage without the engine running, but once you hit the road with wind and engine noise are prevelant, it probably is not functional. Any may have a high level of distortion.

rv
Kind of what I was thinking.
I got spoiled a long time ago with the radio on the Voyager I had.
Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I tried to economy route for sometime and upgraded more than a few times and spent pretty much what I should have spent only once for a quality system. These systems were initially designed for marine application and anytime you put the word Marine in front of an accessory it gets expensive. I've had good experience with the Shark brand. Now, I prefer to ride with music in the helmet with a Sena system and Bluetooth XM or FM band.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I have a just tested and not installed 600 watt (they claim) Shark system I'll sell you for $70
But if you send me $140 it will be twice as good LOL. I paid $149 I can send you pictures if your interested.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
radio

I have a just tested and not installed 600 watt (they claim) Shark system I'll sell you for $70
But if you send me $140 it will be twice as good LOL. I paid $149 I can send you pictures if your interested.
Thanks for the offer. I'm not sure yet that is the route I want to go.
What do you not like about the Shark?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I'll jump in on this quote...

When I rode with a radio, I liked the look of the Shark on the bike and the speakers added an accessory that looked cool as well. The brackets that are pop rivetied to the speaker that attach to the handlebar clamps, vibrated and broke while riding, twice. And for whatever reason, low volume was hard to control. As I adjusted the volume with the controller, it would be loud, less loud, high low and then off. There was not middle low at all. I've gone to helmet system now which offers much more control and features.

·
Administrator
16,308 Posts
I put the hondaline stereo on Mmmagicfingers Yamaha.

They are pricey but very nice. I was able to find one on eBay for under $300

Cut the standard Honda plug off and wired it in.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Nice, I tried several different things although they weren't that expensive. I seem to be too particular about how well I can hear my music. The last thing I tried was a radio caddie from Vetter with a car stereo and didn't like it either. :shades:

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a Shark 100 watt system and have no complaints. Mounted the speakers on the handle bars behind the wind shield, use an mp3 player and can hear it fine, even at highway speeds. Riding 2 up, passenger can hear it too.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

The fm tuner is a joke, the amp itself is good but not 600watts more like 50 per channel wich good and the speakers that came with it are too small in my opinion. I had loud cobra pipes on at the time so no radio short of ear buds would work anyways.
I was only going to use an Ipod and the amp function, the small size of the amp would allow me to hide it under the right cover.
On the bench it sounded pretty good though and I liked the handlebar controller. I'm sure it would be fine on a quiet bike.

I ended up getting speakers from patriot and a 35W RMS per channel Jensen amp and hid the am under the right cover and ran the wires for the speakers and Ipod, works great.
You have to watch those outlandish wattage claims in a small, light package that is a give away you are looking at junk.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
You get what you pay for. Would you put a $40 sound system in your car?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
What year was the Voyager? I assume you liked the bike?
Im considering a Nomad 1700 but then again, always considering something, year in and year out!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
So right about power output claims. A proper and expsensive Stereo from a reputable company for a automoble will put out 50 to 100 Watts per channel from 15khz to 60 hz.

Those outlandish claims of 500 watts per channel mean nothing, zero, notta thing. It could be 500 watts into 1khz, one high piched tone requiring little power but in reality is just one frequency in the whole audible band.

One other thing, a TRUE 100 watt per channel amp, will only be slightly louder then a TRUE 50 watt per channel amp. and a true 200 watt per channel amp will only be slghtly louder then a 100 watt per channel amp.

More or less, power output needs to be doubled for every 3 db more in sound output, 3 db more in sound output is only slightly noticable to the human ear... so a TRUE 500 watt amp with only sound SLIGHTLY louder then a TRUE 250 watt amp...

Always better to go with quality power output accross the entire bandwith. for a mobile sound system that would mean something like this.
75 watts per channel - 4 ohms - 15khz to 40 HZ.

In CHEAPO amps you will see as an example, 250 watts @ 1 KHZ. which is nothing more then the sound of blowing a loud whistle.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
USB drive with earphones or helmet Speakers. Can't beat digital sound.
:wayhappy:

Don't do music on the MC but often listen to a USB drive thingy that fits in my shirt pocket and feeds earplugs. Battery in USB music thingy charges when you plug in to a computer or USB phone charger. Like my music :wayhappy: not what you get over the air.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
radio

After consulting with some people on here I settled for a Sena 5FM -1.
The directions are like everything else you have to read them 12 times in a mirror but after installing the unit in my helmut.......I love it. Everything works good . I'm glad I listened to a couple of guys and didn't buy the "outside" speaker units.
I found it the cheapest at "buysena.com" ($140.00 cheaper than where I bought the bike ) Ordered it on Sunday and got it here in Tampa today (Wednesday) That's service.:wayhappy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts