Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law (my wife's brother), Wade Keller a.k.a. "Burleson Badman", lost his life in a one vehicle motorcycle accident in Cleburne, Texas on Saturday night 1/15/05. He was 57 years old. He is survived by his daughter Cassie.
Now, like it or not, I'm fixin' to preach to some of y'all out there. What I want to re-emphasize is that you should NEVER, EVER let your consumption of alcoholic beverages get out of control when your mode of transportation is your bike. You want a beer with your pizza? Go right ahead, just cut it off at one. You want to stop at the local watering hole and down a cold one with your buddies? By all means have at it, just be smart enough to know your limits for staying sober. What I'm preaching against here is those persons (and there's bound to be a few that read this) who thinks that he/she can drink as many as they want and still maintain enough composure to get home on their motorcycle. My brother-in-law, Wade, was one of these people. He partied hard, drank a lot with his buddies, danced the night away with the ladies, then DIED!!!!!!!
I'm sad and mad at the same time. Wade was truly a good friend to all. If you met him for the first time, he treated you like he was your best friend. I got to ride with him some. He was a good rider with many years of experience. He just couldn't let go of the biker-style party life. We (members of his immediate family) knew we were gonna get that phone call in the middle of the night at some point. We talked about it often. We ragged on him constantly for his lifestyle, but he just wouldn't let it go. Now my wife is sad, and I'm mad at him because of it. I'm gonna miss him, and I'm sad for that reason.
As for details, they are still kinda sketchy at best and the investigation is still underway. What I know is that he was partying with his American Legion Rider buddies in a post at a small town south of Cleburne. They left in a group of 10 bikes around 9:30 to go to a A.L. post in another town. Somewhere in Cleburne he broke away from the pack and turned off a side street (it is believed he was going to another party at a lounge in Ft. Worth). He made a turn down a one-way dead end street that was actually the back lane of a hospital parking lot (it is believed that he must have gotten disoriented). When he got to the end of this lane/parking lot he locked his brakes up and skidded about 30 ft. before hitting the curb head-on. His bike was about 10 feet over the curb and he was thrown about 60-70 feet, which indicates a high rate of speed. He was not wearing a helmet. A woman going to work at the hospital came upon the accident scene, went into the hospital and got a doctor, but Wade couldn't be revived. The Medical Examiner said there was a large bruise on the top of his head. We think his neck may have been broken.
Don't put your families through this! Please ride responsibly. I'm sorry for rambling, but I just gotta get this off my chest. I love ya, my brother and sister riders. Ride long, ride safe!!!!!

Maniac

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
First of all Bro., our most sincere thoughts go out to you, your wife and your family. We are deeply sorry this happened.You said it yourself...you knew this was coming.
We had a friend here who had the same thing happen, a few years ago. Great guy, rode with him frequently. Just wouldn't stop drinking over his limit when he was riding. Left a biker bar at 2:30 one morning. Ran into the rear of a car at a high rate of speed on the highway, on his way home. Never knew what hit him. Wasn't much left either! At least three guys who rode with us ,never rode again after seeing him.
Prayers going up for you and your family!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
My prayers go out to you and yours.....

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
your point is well made, and I hope many listen to it. Myself, I don't drink... because of reasons you mentioned and others. I also stay away from those that have been and think they can still ride... because I don't want them to take me with them.. or be the one to scrape them off the road.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sorry for your loss there Maniac. Prayers for you and the family.
Your story is a perfect example of drinking and riding. Sooner or later it'll catch up to you.
Larry

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
You're in my prayers. X

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I never drink a thing (no not one) when I ride. To me the rush of the ride is more than enough. I want my mind to be clear to take it all in.

I've been spending allot of time in Clebourne and was at the hospital on Friday to check on a worker who had a minor injury.

Small world. My prayers for you and your family.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts