Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am new to this forum. I bought a 2004 Volusia Intruder VL800 Trike. It has a Lehman Tramp trike rear end. Because it is such a small engine, the bike doesn't really like higher speeds (over 65). Hills are a pain in the rear. So my question to everyone, how do I get more from the engine I have, or can the engine I have be replaced with a larger one? I am not talking 1500 or anything, but something larger. I just can't see riding through the Ozarks easily with a passenger or taking long interstate trips as it is. Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
There is nothing that will fit in your bike. The two wheel original bike didn't like anything over 65 mph. You need at least 1300 to make a trike work. mine works just fine. My 03 Vol served me well for 3 years. I moved up. if (won't happen ) I was to go back to two wheels in would be back to a Vol or a C50.

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
There is nothing you can do, short of fabbing up a turbo charger, fitting it for NoS, or cutting and stretching the frame to accommodate some other make of engine.

There are ZERO bolt-on kits that will make any difference. It is a 44hp 800cc motorcycle. When you add the additional weight of the trike kit, you end up with what you have. Either stay in the slow lane and enjoy the ride or start looking now for a bigger bike.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Ok, I am new to this forum. I bought a 2004 Volusia Intruder VL800 Trike. It has a Lehman Tramp trike rear end. Because it is such a small engine, the bike doesn't really like higher speeds (over 65). Hills are a pain in the rear. So my question to everyone, how do I get more from the engine I have, or can the engine I have be replaced with a larger one? I am not talking 1500 or anything, but something larger. I just can't see riding through the Ozarks easily with a passenger or taking long interstate trips as it is. Thanks for your thoughts!
Welcome to the forum kjbraden. Feel free to introduce yourself in the ''new members'' section when you get time.

As to your question, the issue with the Volusia/C50 isn't so much the engine size - it's the gearing that the ''factory'' uses because of the engine size. The gearing determines the cruising RPM of the engine and that seems to be the area that receives the complaints most similar to what you seem to describe.

If yours was a regular ''non-trike'd'' bike, you could achieve substantial improvement with a final drive from a vl1500 or similar Suzuki bike being adapted to yours but because it is trike'd, Lehman has likely matched the factory gearing with the differential they selected and that will make things more difficult to change.

Am I on the right track is describing your concern?

edit:..

You are about 200lb over the dry weight of a stock C50 so what Skrapiron said is definitely another factor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you

Thank you everyone. That is what I was worried about. Guess it is life in the slow lane until I can afford something bigger. I love my trike, but trying to keep up with my husband's two-wheeled Harley is going to prove a pain in the rear!:crying:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.