Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to admit this, but ...
I've had a Volusia or a C50 since 2004, and never noticed this before - went for a 50 mile ride with my better half, and when I got home, I decided to check the tire pressures. In doing so, I noticed that the rear wheel hub was pretty warm - I didn't want to leave my hand on it for more that a couple of seconds. Both the brake drum and the rear differential were warm. I thought that I had plenty of play in my rear brake linkage, so I don't believe that was a factor. Question: is it normal for the rear hub assembly to get pretty warm, and if not, what are some possible issues?
Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
The brake may have been dragging but it is normal for the final drive to run 50 to 100 degrees above ambient temperatures.

·
Registered
646 Posts
what weight oil does the diff. take ? I have 2 bottles that are different weights and yes I OVERLOOKED that last oil change whooops

·
Administrator
52,966 Posts
I use 80W-90.

Reactions: htlong and Duffy

·
Registered
97 Posts
The hypoid gear generates a fair amount of heat when in use. Completely normal for it to be warm to hot after a ride especially after the additional load of riding 2up. 75-90 or 80-90 are fine, it's not terribly critical.

If you have 2" of play in the pedal that's more than enough to ensure suspension travel isn't binding things up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts