Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Once again thanks for the warm welcome. I will try and make this semi brief, but also share concern and obtain any advice you all can share with me.
I recently almost 3 weeks again Purchased a beautiful blue 2006 Suzuki Boulevard c50 , 32K Miles from a seller on Facebook Marketplace. Got the bike home actually drove it home no worries. Been out and about about 10 times so far no issues. Well then Tuesday I was driving to work in the morning and all the sudden I just lost power, no gas and lights and such stayed on but came to a coasting halt. It would crank but not start... I will be the first to admit I know VERY little about bike maintenance/repairs and well it's a spooky feeling to be stranded and not know what to do. I am a network engineer lol.. anywho.. my good friend picked me and bike up with his trailer and dropped it off to the only shop in Savannah that services Suzuki's. He said well the issues was a blown 15 amp fuse that runs your starter/fuel pump. He said not sure what may have caused that, I don't see that much... I was like hmmm. He really said could be a pinched wire, etc.. but never said that he found why.. he replaced my fuse and sent me packing 80.00 later :-( Then on my way out, he said that is a beautiful bike, and I would recommend if you plan on keeping it, that you replace the Cam Chain and tension-er??? I said oh is it critical.. he said not right now but I kind of hear it slapping or ticking, and it would be 800.00 I about fell off my bike.. so I say all of that to ask for any advice one the two items above.
1. Anyone ever had a fuse blown and could someone give me any advice on maybe to look for a cause? I bought some spares fuses just in case..
2. Cam Chain and Tension-er is this common or did I get passed a lemon?

Thank you all for any help in advance... hoping I don't have to fork that money over too soon, I just spent my allowance on the bike :frown2: I am just semi nervous to go too far from home now lol. Also I like to take my teenager out for rides to the beach.... so want to be safe.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you know what fuse blew then you can figure out what might cause it to fail. Are there accessories added to the bike and how did they get wired in? If that circuit got tapped into, it is either over drawing that circuit, or there is a problem somewhere that caused the fuse to blow. Your mileage is not super high but cam chains have been bad at less than that. I had the chains go on my 05 C50 at about 20,000. Some have got relatively high miles and didn't have a problem with the chains and tensioners. These engines have solid lifters and many describe it as an angry sewing machine to describe the noise the valve lifters make. Some valve noise is normal. Some piston slap is normal. Doing anything with the chains and tensioners is a very big job and likely costs more than the bike is worth. Many will find a used low mileage engine rather than repair it. If the fuse goes again and you have determined that there are no accessories added or poorly installed then you will have to look for a wire damaged or rubbed through etc. Once you are passed the electrical gremlin then just ride and enjoy it. You will at some point have to get the valves checked for clearance. With any luck you will have got some maintenance history from the previous owner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Thank you Coffee man I totally appreciate your feedback and ideas. As far as I can tell no accessories added, all stock. But I will for sure if it blows again, I will do the wire integrity check all around. Also thanks for the Angry sewing machine haha made me laugh.. as that is what it does sound like. Yeah also may be best to get a used engine before I fork over the money for the chain replacement.

Have a great day.. ride safe!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts