Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brake pedal was always a little hard to press but after riding through a New England winter got even harder. Eventually I noticed that it would actually get stuck in the down position half way. After getting the pedal and foot peg off I found the issue: the spindle that goes into the bushing was getting stuck due to rust and/or debris. Got it all cleaned up, painted the foot peg bracket while I had it off (no more rust!), and greased everything. Now the pedal bounces right back and the rear brake can actually stop the bike. But the biggest thing: the bike now goes faster and gets better mpg. The rear brake must have been partially engaged for a while which explains why it dropped from 40mpg to around 32mpg over the winter. Oops. But all is well that ends well and now I can get to 85mph and still have like 3 degrees of throttle left :)

·
Registered
19,427 Posts
Your MPG drops in the winter because the EPA fuel formulation changes. It has a lower evaporation point and less potential energy per unit, so it also leads to reduced emissions. Come summer and the switch back to normal gas, your mpg will improve.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your MPG drops in the winter because the EPA fuel formulation changes. It has a lower evaporation point and less potential energy per unit, so it also leads to reduced emissions. Come summer and the switch back to normal gas, your mpg will improve.
That contributes to it I am sure. But also I did two full tanks of gas back to back with lots of steady highway riding, one before and one after this fix. The difference was pretty drastic. I don’t think the changes in fuel can account for a 20% loss of mpg and power but a stuck break sure can. To be fair I did take the windshield off as well but I have take it off/put it back on before and don’t notice such a drastic difference.

·
Registered
19,887 Posts
If your brake hub looks a little bronzed or golden, its toast. You could have overheated it and glazed the the brakes. Just be careful.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would probably look at the pads. I cant imagine what its like to drag them for 100 miles, lucky you didn’t have any bigger issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts