Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the small dilemma, maybe you guys can chime in with some logic...

After wasting countless company hours at work, i finally narrowed it down to these two helmets
LS2 OF569 Solid Red Open Face Helmet - LeatherUp.com

LS2 OF569 Scape Solid Matte Black Open Face Helmet - LeatherUp.com

As you see, one has a chin strap (better protection one would assume...) but is low-visibility black... the other is regular open face only but bright hemorrhoid red (higher visibility).

Recommendations or opinions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Wow, are you going to get some input. Let me be one of the first. Protection and visibility are not mutually exclusive. If you want protection and visability, go with a full face helmet in white, hi-viz yellow, blue or red. The chin strap may offer some protection from road rash, but if you are leading with your face, you need the facial impact protection provided by a full face helmet. One of the site's sponsors, Riders Discount has been advertising a Bell full face in hi-viz yellow for $180, over half off.

Good hunting and keep us posted

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I narrowed it down to these two because I cant stand full face. Tried it and I feel claustrophobic and to me it negates the very purpose of getting the bike. Besides that increased risk, i always wear full gear.

I wish it wasnt mutually exclusive but unfortunately they dont make the chin-strapped one in red.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Go with a modular white. They don't look like starwars

·
Registered
452 Posts
I narrowed it down to these two because I cant stand full face. Tried it and I feel claustrophobic and to me it negates the very purpose of getting the bike. Besides that increased risk, i always wear full gear.

I wish it wasnt mutually exclusive but unfortunately they dont make the chin-strapped one in red.
Good enough, Good luck finding what you need. Now that a full face is not in play, I would go with the higher visibility option. I doubt the chin strap would be much use.

Keep us posted

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
Heres the small dilemma, maybe you guys can chime in with some logic...

After wasting countless company hours at work, i finally narrowed it down to these two helmets
LS2 OF569 Solid Red Open Face Helmet - LeatherUp.com

LS2 OF569 Scape Solid Matte Black Open Face Helmet - LeatherUp.com

As you see, one has a chin strap (better protection one would assume...) but is low-visibility black... the other is regular open face only but bright hemorrhoid red (higher visibility).

Recommendations or opinions?

Thanks!
Both helmets appear to offer the same level of protection unless I'm missing something. They will both have a chinstrap if they are dot approved. Neither is a good visibility choice. The Black or red are pretty much the same, neither are hi-vis colors.

So, I think either helmet would be a similar choice, I mainly would avoid either color because of the heat collection on darker colors. Just an FYI I wear white (now silver/white) for high visibility and a cooler helmet. Mainly the latter.

·
Administrator
29,599 Posts
Oh, I see, a snap on chin bar, not a strap. That snap on chin bar would beuseless in a crash and you may end up wearing it. Still, either helmet looks like a good open face helmet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
wouldn't white blend with the clouds and other light colored things around... I figured red you'd stick out like a giant pimple.
besides my armored jacked is red...

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Nope, white is very good on visibility. I ride in the back of most group rides I'm in and it is amazing what stands out the most as far as colors of jackets and helmets. White can be seen for a long distance.

·
Registered
20,174 Posts
You could get either and put on reflective graphics. There is a co. that offers free reflective squares. for helmets to members here.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
don't understand

I don't understand how you can rule out a FF or modular helmet, but wear one with a chin bar and face shield. It will "FEEL" the same! Those are my choice since I saw a friend sand his chin off with a 3/4 helmet. I want an open casket when I go!:biglaugh:

White or Hi-Viz yellow is the best colors for being "seen". Your jacket is what color? a Hi-Viz color jacket or vest will give you more "color" coverage to be seen with. I used to live close to an Army base and they wore a Hi-Viz orange vest that I would spot long before I "heard" them or saw their head light. Forget about the tail lights some folks ride with!

Sites for reflective decals/tape.
Streetglo Reflective Decals and Helmet decals. Reflective Car Graphics, Reflective Tape, Pinstripe, Pinstriping my favorite
Appliedgraphics - reflective helmet stickers decals, motorcycle decals, helmet decals, biker decals, reflective motorcycle decals, bicycle decals.
Motorcycle Decals,motorcycle decals

Reflective decals on your helmet they will attract attention when you move your head, checking mirrors and such. They also have a "Super Black" that does not show during the day, but shows up as "white/silver" at night in any lights.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The open face with a chin bar has a much bigger visor, and if it doesnt then i can pull it out. The jacket is red, I could switch to white if its that much better than red... actually, just did a google self-study. Switching it is. thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I use this HJC modular in the pearl white. I have FF Shoei and felt too closed in with it and wearing glasses was a conflict. The white has been studied and tops most surveys for best visibility. You certainly get what you pay for in terms of helmets. Get a cheap helmet and you may be more than sorry later. Most riders don't skimp price wise on helmet, tires as they are the things that keep us safe and healthy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The shell of those two helmets is the same so it is down to color vs chin bar. I have a very similar helmet, the speed and strength SS2200. It has the same kind of chin bar. While I am fully aware that it is completelly useless in the event of an accident I like it. It makes it very easy to hold the helmet and most importantly it cuts the noice significantly while riding.
The red helmet is not going to provide you the visibility you are looking for. Have you consider reflective tape? I have seen very cool helmets with reflective decals on them. From text to all kind of graphics or just plane lines.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
some picts

Here are some pictures of the super black
one during normal day light see the tape on the frame?
second during the day with a camera flash
third at dusk with a flash. Tape on frame shows up.

Old helmet had red on the back side and has been replaced with Hi-Viz color having "black and white" reflective stripes.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had an issue with sunglasses moving around too, im hoping the retractable robocop type visor on the ls2 will fix that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The shell of those two helmets is the same so it is down to color vs chin bar. I have a very similar helmet, the speed and strength SS2200. It has the same kind of chin bar. While I am fully aware that it is completelly useless in the event of an accident I like it. It makes it very easy to hold the helmet and most importantly it cuts the noice significantly while riding.
The red helmet is not going to provide you the visibility you are looking for. Have you consider reflective tape? I have seen very cool helmets with reflective decals on them. From text to all kind of graphics or just plane lines.

I plan on slapping on reflective design, if anything to at least add some style...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use this HJC modular in the pearl white. I have FF Shoei and felt too closed in with it and wearing glasses was a conflict. The white has been studied and tops most surveys for best visibility. You certainly get what you pay for in terms of helmets. Get a cheap helmet and you may be more than sorry later. Most riders don't skimp price wise on helmet, tires as they are the things that keep us safe and healthy.
I don't think it is true that most riders don't skimp price wise on helmets.
Only 20 states plus DC have universal laws requiring helmet use. That only represents 38%. According to sources like consumerreports.org, only 98 percent of motorcyclists riding in states with helmet laws wear them. In states without the laws, helmet use is just 48 percent. If you add to that all the rides who chose a not dot approved helmet because they don't like the bubble head, then you are up to half the riders not really caring much about their melons. :brick:, thus not spending any money on helmets.
I in particular do wear DOT (at least most of the time) , but in my opinion more $$$ does not always mean better. My previous helpmet was a shark evoline. Cost me a small fortune. Recently purchased my SS2200... almost a third of the price and could not be happier with it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I plan on slapping on reflective design, if anything to at least add some style...
If that is the case I think the black one is the way to go... since the chin bar is removable is like having both helmets but the same color :biglaugh::biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts