Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've got a question. I'm thinking of buying one of those front wheel motorcycle towing cradles that hooks to the trailer on my Explorer so that I can easily transport my Volusia back and forth between school in Ga and home in NC. Does anyone have any experience with these contraptions and can tell me if this is a big mistake or a reasonable option for transporting my bike if I strap down the front wheel properly and wrap the bike up?
Thanks in advance for all replies.
J.

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
IMO it's the only option trailering a motorcycle. It keeps the bike in place. It's a lot of weight bouncing around in a trailer without the bike secured.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
Wait, you're talking about something where the front wheel is attached and the rear wheel rolls on the ground. Am I understanding that right? If so, there's no way I'd tow my bike with it. U-Haul rents motorcycle trailers dirt cheap. I think it was something like $15 a day last time I rented one.

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
Wait, you're talking about something where the front wheel is attached and the rear wheel rolls on the ground. Am I understanding that right? If so, there's no way I'd tow my bike with it. U-Haul rents motorcycle trailers dirt cheap. I think it was something like $15 a day last time I rented one.
I thought he is talking about a front wheel cradle that bolts down to the trailer. Maybe I'm reading his post wrong?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I'm talking about one of those devices that plugs into your trailer hitch and just lifts the front wheel of the bike off of the ground. The rear wheel of the bike is the only point of contact with the road and is free wheeling in neutral. Maybe I should just stick with the Uhaul trailer.

·
Super Moderator
23,828 Posts
I would stick with the U-Haul trailer. There are a number of things wrong with the front wheel towing option. The biggest is that you will have the rear wheel gaining all of that mileage and your drive shaft spinning all of that time. Even with the bike shut off and in neutral, there is still component wear and tear going on.

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
I have seen them used in Florida. They work, but I think it's far from an ideal solution.

·
Administrator
16,248 Posts

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I'm talking about one of those devices that plugs into your trailer hitch and just lifts the front wheel of the bike off of the ground. The rear wheel of the bike is the only point of contact with the road and is free wheeling in neutral. Maybe I should just stick with the Uhaul trailer.

I made one of those a number of years back to tow a Suzuki GN400. I would advise against it. When turning a 90 degree corner the bike will "lay down" and when you straighten back out it won't always stand back up. Now you're dragging it on it's side. Not good.....it will grind off a lot of chrome. I know.....

·
Registered
804 Posts
Anytime I need a trailer it is from U haul. I know here you can't do one way with the motorcycle trailer. It's been 3 years since I rented one so they might have revised their policy. I dragged one down to Tryon NC years ago to pick up a 1974 850 Moto Guzzi. That trailer empty was in the air more than on the road. 28 bucks for 2 days, you can't beat that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My recommendation is used a proper towing its a risky for the bike, I have used that but not satisfied with that experience, so would recommend using use a trailer for motorcycle towing service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts