Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 05 C50 that has recently started having problems starting. When I go to start it cold, when the engines cold, it doesn't want to start. It will only start if I turn the throttle and give it gas for several seconds. This is new and very alarming. I've had the bike since July of last year with no problems.

The starting problem started abt two weeks ago. After it warms up it runs like a top and will start right up. I filled the gas tank and added seafoam. I've ridden it abt a 100 miles and it's still the same.

It did sit a little this winter but I ride it several times. I've been getting it ready for riding season and have recently changed the coolant, rear differential fluid, and oil/filter. I also checked and lubed the drive shaft and a new oem air filter.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Do you use a battery tender? That helped mine out after it was really cold here. Left the tender on overnight and started up right away. Now, I keep it on the tender when it is cold for days in a row and I'm not able to ride.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a battery tender I'll try that but it's been in the 50s here and it still does it. I suspect it's something else

·
Registered
138 Posts
john122hump I have the very same problem with my '05 C50. One day the cold start "fast idle setting" worked great, the next day I had to give it a little throttle for about 30 seconds while starting cold to keep it running. Even hot starting I have to give it a some throttle for about 3 seconds.

Sure hope someone that has had this same problem will chime in with a simple "how to fix it".

I spoke with a Suzuki mech at the local dealer and he said NOT to touch the Fast Idle screw as you can really screw things up. Needs to be setup with a diagnostic computer hooked up to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's happened to me on occasion when the bike sits outside in the winter. I've been told that the alcohol in the gas separates and sinks to the bottom of the tank and then gets sucked into the cylinders when you go to start it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Another victim of ethanol gas.

Alcohol will absorb more water than a sponge. Then that mixture turns to varnish. Varnish can become hard as a rock. Rocks not good, especially inside of a fuel system no matter how small they are.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I hooked the battery tender up last night. That seemed to help some the bike fired right up but then died.

I suspected it could have been from the older gas that sat in there. I'll keep running the seafoam in it for a few more tanks see if that helps.

After researching some, I suspect it could be my valves need to be adjusted also. Now I just need to find someone who won't charge me an arm and a leg

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
If you can get this product inside of your fuel injector it will make a difference. I have not had to use on FI engines,,,. When I do use it on a carbed engine I attach the fuel line to the cans nozzle. Must leave it sitting 24 hours.

A marine mechanics dream come true.
I have only seen one other spray cleaner this strong.
Standard carb cleaner will not remove the effects of ethanol.
Sold at marine dealerships. About $10 a can.
MERCURY MARINE Power Tune Engine Cleaner, 13 oz. | West Marine

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
I have a 05 C50 that has recently started having problems starting. When I go to start it cold, when the engines cold, it doesn't want to start. It will only start if I turn the throttle and give it gas for several seconds. This is new and very alarming. I've had the bike since July of last year with no problems.

The starting problem started abt two weeks ago. After it warms up it runs like a top and will start right up. I filled the gas tank and added seafoam. I've ridden it abt a 100 miles and it's still the same.

It did sit a little this winter but I ride it several times. I've been getting it ready for riding season and have recently changed the coolant, rear differential fluid, and oil/filter. I also checked and lubed the drive shaft and a new oem air filter.

Any ideas?
While fuel quality can be a problem, it likely won't be confined to start up problems.... The suggestion of ''varnish'' from old fuel might by a part of the problem.

Spark plugs don't normally cause such problems but the gap and possible fouling of the plug may be a contributor to such starting problems.

The other thing with the FI systems starting in 2005 is that they use the engine coolant temperature sensor and the intake air temperature sensor to activate an enrichment mode in the ECM. If they are not working correctly, they can lead to the starting problem you are having.... BUT most problems with those sensors will set a code......you didn't mention any warning lights or displayed messages in the odometer window......

Still, a check of the wiring to those sensors would be a good thing.. the IAT is on the back section of the air cleaner housing and the ECT is on the thermostat housing on top of the engine.

Sorry that there is nothing that is a definitive suggestion as to a cause.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
When I get home I'll check for codes but I didn't notice it last time I rode it. I'll check sensors too. Would it be the actual sensor or just the wires??

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
When I get home I'll check for codes but I didn't notice it last time I rode it. I'll check sensors too. Would it be the actual sensor or just the wires??
unplugged, poor or intermittent connector contact would be sufficient to give a code.

When a code is launched, the red light on the lower left of the speedo display will be lit and the display should show the letters ''FI''..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
After I got home I started it up and let it get to operating temp. Besides the starting issue everything seemed normal. The FI light went out when I started it and the display was normal, the clock came up as usual, no codes showed up.

Should I still check the sensors?

I was researching and found this thread.

http://www.volusiariders.com/60-help/219196-please-help-hard-start-when-engine-cold.html

I found a few other threads that indicated it could be the valves also. Can anyone lend any credence to this theory?

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
After I got home I started it up and let it get to operating temp. Besides the starting issue everything seemed normal. The FI light went out when I started it and the display was normal, the clock came up as usual, no codes showed up.

Should I still check the sensors?

I was researching and found this thread.

http://www.volusiariders.com/60-help/219196-please-help-hard-start-when-engine-cold.html

I found a few other threads that indicated it could be the valves also. Can anyone lend any credence to this theory?
The original post in that thread is all about a 2001 which is a carbed bike. That is a totally different fuel system.

The valves could well be a contributor to your problem.

An accurate valve adjustment is never a bad idea and even better if you haven't done it for a while or don't know when it was done in the past...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The injectors were the problem. I dumbed a full can of seafoam into the tank and took it for a short ride. The next day it started right up no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts