Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed both my front and rear tires today and the front brake pads (and oil change). Took the wheels off and had the dealership mount the new tires. After i got it all buttoned back up i took it it for a very short test ride.
The bike seems slightly harder to move and i hear a slightly louder "hiss" from the front pads rubbing some. I assume this will go away once they're bedded?
Also, on the test ride there was a weird noise, kinda of a knocking/clanking from the rearend somewhere. The noise would seem to stop when i pulled in the clutch. When i put the rear wheel back on everything seemed to line up fine. I'm not sure what the problem could be. Any ideas?
The only thing that didn't seem right going back together was the brake drum stabilizing bolt. When i tightened it down the nut hit non-threaded part of the bolt before it the two pieces were tight so the bolt spins easily. I can't see this being the problem though because that just keeps the brake drum from moving which it should still do.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
The brake drum stabiliser bolt is a ''shoulder bolt'' that is supposed to allow the link to articulate with the suspension..

Just make sure that it is tight and doesn't come out..... If it does come out, your brake rod will break and rear braking will disappear..... WITHOUT WARNING!!

There are two bolts - one on each end...... a drop or TWO of blue Loctite on these is not a bad idea......

other than that... make sure that the axle bolt torque is correct and the rear cotter pin is installed.

Did the spacer go back in the rear drive?

A ''hiss'' from the pads is kinda normal.....

Reactions: Tuggin850

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a 2012 so there is no cotter pin. I'll have to check the torque on the axle tomorrow but i think if anything it would be too tight.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Yes the spacer went back in. Inbetween the brake drum and swingarm.
There is also a spacer inside the final drive/wheel hub, that prevents ''over tightening'' the axle.... if it is missing, then the drive housing is pulled into the brake drum too tightly.......:bigoops:

If you didn't see a cylindrical spacer on the floor after the assembly you are likely ok.....

spacer is #24 in this parts picture....

OEM Parts

Reactions: Jgood9644

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
have you over adjusted the rear brake...... ?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It is common to over adjust the rear brake with no weight on the bike even worse when adjusted on the lift.
Search the forum for rear brake adjustment.

Reactions: Tuggin850

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's supposed to be a rubber bushing that goes between the stabilizer rod and the drum brake housing that the shouldered bolt goes through. Very easy for it to drop off when removing the rear wheel & stuff. If its not there then yes, you can get a lot of clunking!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's supposed to be a rubber bushing that goes between the stabilizer rod and the drum brake housing that the shouldered bolt goes through. Very easy for it to drop off when removing the rear wheel & stuff. If its not there then yes, you can get a lot of clunking!
Yeah, I actually found that laying on the ground when I was putting things back together and put it in the right spot by chance because it just seemed to make sense. Thanks for telling me though. I wasn't 100% if it went there or not.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, they definitely gave me a few things to look at. It may not have been the problem but I know I had the axle tightened a good bit past the 47 lb/ft called for.

I'm not sure what to say because today I took the rear wheel off again and everything looked to be in the right place so I put it back on trying to make sure everything got lined up correctly (and torqued right). When I took it for a test right it didn't really seem to do what it did last night.

Last night I did the very short test ride in shorts, t-shirt, crocs, and no helmet. I've never ridden without full gear including full face helmet so I may have just been hearing some extra engine noise when at a higher gear with lower rpms that I wouldn't normally hear or feel through all the gear.

I did feel some extra bit of vibration through my feet though when coasting to a stop but I think that may just be the brake pads wearing in.

I think my head is playing tricks on me being paranoid that something is wrong since I've been doing the work myself. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've been building things for years but every time I put stuff back together I ride down the road listening and watching for things to fall off...lol....just a habit. And the no helmet thing will definitely sound different. Sounds like you've double checked everything.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts