#1 ·
The bike cranks but wont turn over.

-Battery is good
-new spark plus
-fuses good
-new gas

Any ideas? Has under 2k miles.

#2 ·
Cranks but won't turn over? What does that mean to you? Is the motor revolving when the starter is revolving, and no subsequent detonation of fuel in the cylinder? Or is the starter revolving and the motor is not?
Assuming it's turning and not firing we need to determine its last operational state and time. (Was it running fine yesterday, or has it been sitting for months, or ???) What have you done to it since it last ran properly, etc. Is the fuel pump priming when you turn it on? Age of battery (if original then that's my first suspect)?

#4 ·
Confusing description when dealing with a issue like this. Cranking is turning over. Motor is turning over but you are saying it does to start?

How did you charge the new battery. For the most part, batteries do not come with a charge right out of the box. If you added acid, then you needed to charge the battery on a slow charge for a few hours. Then sit, then test it for voltage.

What year is it. Carburetor or fuel injection. When you turn to the key to ON, with the kill switch ON, do you hear the fuel pump motor, if it does not have a carb.

#6 ·
That happened to me recently. If you have a fuel injection, make sure the fuel pump is properly connected. Look at the wires carefully. My black wire wasn't seating right in the white connector for the fuel pump, and so the engine was turning over but no gas to the engine. You wouldn't be hearing the fuel pump when you turn the key... good luck, let us know what you figure out.

#8 ·
Another ethanol victim is my fear. If it sat for six months with ethanol fuel in it you will have some work to do. Hopefully a more knowledgeable person will come along and help with that aspect as I have been fortunate enough not to have that issue.
See if you are getting a raw gas smell from the exhaust when trying to start. If so then it's a spark issue. If no raw gas smell then the ethanol fuel has clogged your injectors.

#9 ·
My guess would be dirty/clogged injectors. pull the air filter off and spray a SMALL amount of starting fluid in the intake and see if the bike starts, or tries to start. If so, you are probably going to have to clean the injectors.

Also, like was said above, (cranking) is (turning over).

#11 ·
Mine died on me in my driveway while idling the other day. Would not start unless I also twisted the throttle while holding in the starter button.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Same symptom and solution here also on my 07. We are all taught not to open the throttle on a FI vehicle when starting but after mine sits for more than a week or two, this is the only way it will start cold. After warm up, it starts normally and will start without opening the throttle if started every few days.

Try shooting in some starter fluid as suggested and see what happens.

Good hunting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.