Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Volusia that I smashed into a Toyota that pulled out directly in front of me. I T boned her at 40mph in the drivers door. I was able to walk away with a 1cm scratch on my arm... I had to have the bike towed because the front rim was destroyed. insurance paid me VERY well for the(now totaled) bike. I bought it back for 250 bucks. I want to rebuild.. the only MAJOR damage I can see is the front rim. How would I check if the frame/forks were bent? Visually everything looks fine but since I hit her so hard, im skeptical to spend anything to repair it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
579 Posts
tbone

I have a 2000 Volusia that I smashed into a Toyota that pulled out directly in front of me. I T boned her at 40mph in the drivers door. I was able to walk away with a 1cm scratch on my arm... I had to have the bike towed because the front rim was destroyed. insurance paid me VERY well for the(now totaled) bike. I bought it back for 250 bucks. I want to rebuild.. the only MAJOR damage I can see is the front rim. How would I check if the frame/forks were bent? Visually everything looks fine but since I hit her so hard, im skeptical to spend anything to repair it. Any thoughts?
Frankly if I wasn't interested in spending the money for a qualified mechanic to check it out for safety reasons I personally would part it out and start looking for another bike. Just my $.02

·
Registered
202 Posts
Pull down far enough to examine in detail and completely clean every weld at the head and along the frame. Any cracking of paint, distortion, etc is a total in my book. Figure out how to check true - look for any twist or other misalignment. Really take everything off you can and examine everything.

On the fork, pull the tubes and use REAL machinist's straight edge (someone stole mine) to check for any issue. That's the most likely place to see troubles. While the fork is apart, pop in some custom or suitable springs & spacers, maybe even emulators. I tend to spread dye on stressed areas of the alloy and look with a hand lens for any small cracks.

The steering column through the head tube also takes a great deal of load in a wreck and you should check it rigorously.

If the bike passes all this, then you are in the position to decide how much you trust yourself to have examined it well. While these machines are lightly loaded in normal use, strong force from odd directions can cause serious issues.

I would trust myself to perform the above just fine. YMMV. I have a good deal of experience with machines, welding, repair etc.

Now, I wouldn't charge someone and tell them their bike was OK!! That's a whole different game.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I it was mine, I would put a front rim on it and ride it carefully or a few (hundred) miles and check everything out. That is the best test for me if everything else checks out visually.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
glad to read you walked away from it...agree w/the above tho.
I agree with DC, spend $50 for an inspection from a reputable body shop with a frame machine FIRST. That will tell you whether to rebuild or part out.

I can assure you that that new front rim wont help if the neck separates from the frame @ 40 mph.

·
Administrator
16,312 Posts
If it was just a bent rim they likely wouldn't have totalled it.

What did the adjuster see that made him total it??? Bent frame???

Part it out, then get a new ride.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
If it was just a bent rim they likely wouldn't have totalled it.

What did the adjuster see that made him total it??? Bent frame???

Part it out, then get a new ride.
^^ Without a second thought. ^^

Did the cage owner not have insurance?

Where/how did you land after the wreck so not to get hurt?

·
Registered
447 Posts
First, it isn't a 2000, it would be a 2001 at the earliest. And if the insurance company totaled it, since it is only worth around $2K, there has to be a major problem. Do not ride, get rid of it.

Be good

Richard

·
Registered
90 Posts
That is the advice I was gonna give also. you want to live and I don't want to be near if you crash due to mechanical problem you didn't see. pay a few bucks and get it checked.

·
Premium Member
14,414 Posts
40 MPH dead on crash and just a bent rim?
No, there has to be way more damage then that, photo?
I agree
I t-boned a chevy at about 25mph on my '04, totaled it also. The front fender shot, front rim shot, headlight, crash bar, but the main reason was neck was bent!.
I stripped off add-ons before the adjuster came and let them total it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts