Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Possible Purchase-newer V-Star

1K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  GaryB 
#1 ·
Hello, All:

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2012 Yamaha V-Star, 950cc, belt drive, air-cooled.

Its new in the box, and they'll take my 2005 C50, fair condition, new tires, spring service; towards a trade.

Has anyone ridden these and can anyone say how they compare with the Boulevard C50? I can imagine the 18% increase in displacement would be noticeable.

Cheers, ~ S ~

#4 ·
My wife has a 2009 Vstar 950. Form, fit, and finish is nicer than the C50. The overall bike feels smaller than the C50,but has noticeably a little more power.

Never rode hers on the highway so I'm not sure how that compares.

Gets better mileage than my C50 did.....she averages 55-58mpg.

#10 ·
Have to disagree with you on the "form, fit and finish statement".
No disrespect intended, but I just think the C50 looks better and more expensive.
Of course there's no right or wrong in this as opinions are just that, opinions.

#5 ·
Great bikes. Haven't heard anything negative about them from people who own them other than the cornering clearance. (They drag the boards pretty easily).

#6 ·
My husband rides a 2003 VStar 1100 -- loves it, but he's always drooling over my 2008 M50 --- CAN'T BLAME HIM!!!!

There are two things he doesn't like about his bike --- the stock seat, which he will replace soon...and the location of the oil filter; otherwise, he's ok with this bike.

I know this isn't the comparison you were probably looking for, but just wanted to throw it out there that he likes his bike but LOVES mine!! (I am very proud of that fact!!!)

#8 · (Edited)
The V Star 950 is air cooled.
If I had a choice, I would avoid an air cooled bike when you can get a water cooled C50 or Vulcan 900.
It performs about the same as the water cooled Vulcan 900, but neither of those bikes suspensions are as well sorted out as the C50's.
Skrapiron has owned the C50 and currently owns the Vulcan 900, so I'm sure he could share his insight comparing these two water cooled bikes.

#9 ·
Hello, All:
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2012 Yamaha V-Star, 950cc, belt drive, air-cooled.
Its new in the box, and they'll take my 2005 C50, fair condition, new tires, spring service; towards a trade.
Has anyone ridden these and can anyone say how they compare with the Boulevard C50? I can imagine the 18% increase in displacement would be noticeable. Cheers, ~ S ~
When I was looking for a replacement for my C50 2 years ago, the choices came down between the Vulcan 900 LT and the Vstar 950 Tour. I rode both bikes extensively and in the end, chose the Vulcan over the Vstar. Not because there was anything wrong with the 950, but rather the ride was so different compared to my C50. Where the Vulcan felt immediately like I was home.

The Vstar 950 FEELS like a much bigger bike! It is long and lean. On the freeway, it is a joy to ride! It produces noticibly more power than the C50 and the additional torque can be felt every time you twist your wrist! The ride is comfortable (though the stock saddle was painful after an hour). The exhaust note is just what a bike should be. A beautiful bass rumble, without being obnoxious.

My only complaints about the bike were the floorboards would touch down really early when leaning in a corner and the position of the kick-stand interlock switch. That is it.

You can't go wrong with that bike!

#15 ·
When I was looking for a replacement for my C50 2 years ago, the choices came down between the Vulcan 900 LT and the Vstar 950 Tour. I rode both bikes extensively and in the end, chose the Vulcan over the Vstar. Not because there was anything wrong with the 950, but rather the ride was so different compared to my C50. Where the Vulcan felt immediately like I was home.
1. Do either the 950T or Vulcan 900 feel as if they need some sort of "DJ Drive"? Just wondering in case I ever decide to upgrade. I recently bought a DJ Drive from Motiv, but haven't had time to get it installed yet (hope to in 2 weeks). Great guy to deal with btw. Also, as a belt drive, is it simpler to change gearing ratios if I don't like them? I used to own a Goldwing, and so I suppose I'm not used to higher rpms.

2. Does anybody know if Mustang seat for C50T fits other bikes like the VStar or Vulcan? Since I have one, it would be nice to use it on another bike.

Thanks

#11 ·
The 950 Tourer was the first bike I sat on...ever. The dealership had it marked down a bit because it wasn't the current model year. It was the shell color and I really loved it. I would have bought it right then, but back then, my credit was not good and they wanted a big down payment. I couldn't do that at the time, so I got my 05 C50. I don't have experience riding the 950, but I love the looks of them.

#12 ·
If the deal is right, I'd be tempted. My only complaint with my 1300 is the Yamaha factory uses a bus load of loctite on their bolts, which has been a PITA when I've
attempted a couple of simple mods. Local shop confirmed when I had to seek help after rounding out a hex head.

Hello, All:

Has anyone ridden these and can anyone say how they compare with the Boulevard C50? I can imagine the 18% increase in displacement would be noticeable.

Cheers, ~ S ~

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#13 ·
Hello, All:

Cheers, ~ S ~
I used to own a 04 Volusia, in 09 I bought a 950T

IMO the 950 is a major upgrade from the Vol

Just a few of the good points

Belt drive
tubeless tires
air cooled (yep I said it )
longer provides better ride and more room for passenger
50 mpg
30,000 miles so far no issue's
lower rpm's at 75mph

the bad

low so it will scrape earlier than most but the floorboards fold up
alien head cover not great looking

I have never second guessed my decision the Vstar 950T was
the right choice for me.

#17 ·
Yeah, it's easier to change gearing on a bike with belt drive, there are companies who make parts for that. Cycle Werks? rings a bell as one possibility. As far as using your Mustang seat on different make, I don't think it would be worth the hassle of trying to modify it, its not a direct bolt up . Better to sell seat yourself before you trade or sell and buy another for new bike, maybe used.

Reactions: GaryB
#19 ·
Actually, I just looked at some online photos of a 950T. From strictly an appearance standpoint, I must say I like my C50T better, mainly due to the flared fenders and other accents around the headlight/windshield area. The 950T looks more plain in those regards. I think Yammy should try to dress up that area and perhaps even offer a studded seat & bag like the C50T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.