Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time rider getting back into riding after a fews years away. I have owned 1200 Sportster, 650 and 950 Vstar in the past. I am in the Albany NY area.

I have the chance to purchase a 2004 Volusia VL800 Limited with saddlebags, windshield and 5k miles. The price is $2000.00.

To me that seems like a steal, which has me worried. Is that price indicative of an underlying issue? Seller says title is clean.

Any tips on what I should be looking for on this bike? Anything that might be an obvious tell?

thanks in advance! I am hoping to me an active member of this forum if I pull the trigger on this bike

GCM

·
Super Moderator
4,461 Posts
Welcome G, Miles (5k)? Original owner?? How long sitting?? Maintenance records? Now, 04 Vol was the last year of carb and crossed over to Boulevard with all EFI forward. Other than the obvious, battery, tires, brakes, clutch play, overall look, and see if you can demo it!! Ride it!
Don't be in a rush, plenty of deals out there, especially now...you didn't sign anything, just walk away!!!
Good luck and look into our bike for sale classified here, usually a fellow member pass along a good deal to other members, just saying!!

Reactions: gcm1031

·
Super Moderator
26,420 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

That seems like a fairly reasonable price to me. My biggest concern would be that the mileage is really low for a 16 year old bike. I'd be a bit concerned that it's gotten some love over the years and not just sat in the garage forgotten while everything degraded from age. If it runs well, I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd probably replace all of the fluids and filters once I got it, along with a full inspection of anything rubber on it.

·
Registered
19,764 Posts
You say there are really low miles on the bike, so that can be an issue. It is a 16 year old model, which means it has 16 year old rubber hoses, 16 year old brake fluid, 16 year old coolant and quite possibly 16 year old oil in the crank case. Moreover, you most likely have 16 year old tires on it as well.

If you decide on getting this bike, be prepared to either do the work above yourself, or to pay a shop to do it for you. If it is not running, or it has rust in the tank, walk away. There are too many good bikes on the market to worry about dealing with a potential head-ache of a neglected bike.

However, if the owner has done all of the above and the bike runs (and I don't mean just starts and idles), then it could be a good bike for you to get back on.

·
Super Moderator
4,461 Posts
I just scrolled through our bike classified here, and there's a Shizznit of bikes for sale....Compare and think it over, don't buy On first site!!!!Good luck G.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Poster is without location.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,461 Posts
Are you deaf and blind Joe??
And bald like the rest of us old cool kids!

·
Registered
19,764 Posts
Get off my lawn!

·
Super Moderator
26,420 Posts
Did you kids say something?

·
Registered
114 Posts
How good a price that is really depends on the maintenance it has received. It's very possible it could need considerable refreshing before being roadworthy -- new tire, new brake lines, complete fluids change, carburetor and tank cleaning, lubrication of the swingarm/headstock/cables, etc., etc. Even if it needs all of that, the price might not be too bad. Book value -- only a rough guideline, mind you -- is about $3k retail, $2k trade-in.

Now, of course, if it's been well-maintained, stored properly, has tires that are new or only a couple years old -- could be a real bargain. Only yesterday I looked over an immaculate 1995 Honda Valkyrie with 26k miles on it with a price so low it had me tossing and turning all night -- riding season is over for the year, the owner is getting a divorce and needs cash. I probably won't bite, but it'll be a real score for somebody.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Even if you do the work yourself add $1000+/- to that price. Good tires and batteries aren't cheap plus the mounting and balance.
I just went thru the process with a 2006 C50T with 5300 miles on it. It takes a lot of time to go thru everything and a HF lift makes it a lot easier. One thing in your favor is that it is a 2004, the last year of carbs. FI is great when it's working, but when it's gummed up it's a nightmare and can be costly to have repaired. The everyday bike I ride is a 2004 VL800 Limited. If this helps, I got the 2006 for $1000 and sold it for $2800. I'm retired so hours spent don't count.

·
Super Moderator
4,461 Posts
GCM, any updates??? Did the monkeys scare yah??? Dennis is harmless, but gets grumpy when he's hungry!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I looked at it on Sunday - Was not in "clean" condition. Stored outside (in Upstate NY!!) & was frozen in ground, scratched up tank and front fender. Didn't need to look any further

Needless to say I passed!

·
Super Moderator
26,420 Posts
Smart move. There will be another that will come along.

·
Super Moderator
4,461 Posts
Well I looked at it on Sunday - Was not in "clean" condition. Stored outside (in Upstate NY!!) & was frozen in ground, scratched up tank and front fender. Didn't need to look any further

Needless to say I passed!
Not a fan of parked outside!!!! Garage kept is more than likely to be in great shape, taking care of and possibly always tinker with!!!! Like my big black moped!!!!
Plenty of deals out there, be patient...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts