Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , Iv learned alot from forums such as this and enjoy reading the threads and build stories. Not so sure I would try some stuff without these forums, so heres my contribution and hopefully it gives an idea or direction to someone who wants to do a bobber or at the very least some reading entertainment..

Story begins several rears ago , I wanted a small bike for scooting around and running errands. I saw a little mini bobber called a kicker 5150. Real cheap chinesse kit bike. After reading about them and deciding i wanted something with more power for freeway riding. After some web surfen I read about taking a vlx 600 and bobbing off the back sub frame. Months later i found one cheap not running and under 3000 miles. After sawzawing and welding and rattle can paint I made one and rode it around for a year and was really happy with it. However after putting several thousand miles on it I wanted another one with more power and smoother. So back to the web and reading about other bikes that made good platforms for a bobber project.
The C50 was gonna be it. After not finding one in the budget for several months I found out about the M50 but still wanted a C. Then one evening while trolling craigslist this M popped up very close to me and was priced right. I decided i would take some cash and look in the morning. I think it was listed 3500.
Drove up and spied it outside under some plastic. Had not been started in about a year. Found that out when I asked ( when was it last run ?) because the battery was real dead when I tried starting it. Gas smelled bad but I started it after charging the battery just to hear the mechanical of the motor. The poor M had 2300 miles on it and was put away wet.. I trusted my feeling that it just needed some tlc and offered 2500 , we settled on 2700.
The bike was flawless new condition under the dust and cobwebbs other than falling over at some point on its left side breaking the clutch lever and turn signal and putting a nice dent into the side of the tank.
After a thorough detailing and replacing the broken parts I rode this shiny new looking bike with a nasty dent in the tank around all last summer knowing it was gonna make a nice bobber. The power and smoothness of the bike was what I was looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ordered fender blank not sure it was gonna work. Cut in half and it fits perfect. Also made some wire templates for the exhaust and took to a buddy that has a pipe bender and he matched the templates just right. I Then welded the 1 3/4 pipe onto the flange of the rear existing rear exhaust. ( the stock pipe is 1 1/8 so there is about 2 inches of it inside of the new 1 3/4 pipe. The stock front pipe was cut just below the chrome outer 2 inch pipe and the 1 3/4 was welded onto it. 4 inch long harley drag baffles were welded into the ends. Sounds pretty good. I havent ridden it yet though to see how it performs .

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Once i tacked the fender in place I put the bike back on the ground and mocked the seat on to see how much clearance I had. I really wanted to get the seat as low as possible yet still be a comfortable ride position. I used an old bed frame for the angle bracket to mount the seat springs. I got all my metal from a recycle scrap yard. The bed frame for angle iron for the seat mount, the diamond plate for the side covers and some aluminum plate for the tailight license plate bracket. $30 total

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Man you're going for it - sweet project. You've got some good ideas and the right attitude. I'll enjoy seeing where this goes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for taking a look. Im in the process of painting the tank and rear fender right now but Im having problems with the finish. Its rustoleum enamel and it has been giving me issues with recoats. I painted the tank after priming and prep and it looked really good. 24 hours later I masked off a stripe and within seconds of painting it some sort of reaction happened and it wrinkled... After reading the can it states you can recoat after 48 hrs. Im assuming that is my problem. Im gonna try repainting in the next couple days.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Got the tank and fender repainted in white and I think im gonna give it a good week before i attempt the stripe again. Found out the headlight had more that wiring in it ...I did get the lights all wired up. I found some smaller dark turn signals and mounted those. Also because the stock license plate light is not needed i wired some led lights under the bike for some ground effect that are powered by that plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Planning on doing the same thing this summer.
How much was the seat and fender? Where did you get them?

Can you post a clear picture of the bottom of the seat?
I want to see how you have it mounted in the front and back. I plan on fabbing my own seat bracket as well.

I will be doing a VL800 though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks, here are some shots. Hope they help. I used a la rosa 16" that included the springs and the front T bracket that I changed a bit to mount the seat a bit lower. It uses the tank bolt to mount. Its rough right now until I ride around some on it and decide the seat is in a good comfortable position.

The fender was $100 from ebay vender get lowered.
The seat was $190 from ebay vender seamless depot

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Nice work!!
I have a Power Commander listed in the Swap Meet - if you upgrade your intake for airflow, you'll probably want one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks , im having a good time with this bobber. im really close to riding it. Gonna put the stripe on the tank and fender next week . I have an idea for a detail on the side of the tank but i might wait a bit before i do that.

The power commander woukd be nice but the budget is tight right now. I do wanna put an old school wire mesh filter on it though. After replacing the tires in a couple months i will probably do the intake and be looking for a tuner.

Yes the poof can is slang for rattle can... Iv been using rustoleum enamel. Im really hoping i dont have issues again when i do the stripe.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Woohoo, stripes went down without any problems. I lowered the bike off the blocks and its looking better than i expected. The side of the tank does need something though , it looks kinda plain all white. I did some old school race numbers on the last bike I had and I think something similar will look good on the m50. Im liking how low the seat turned out also. It feels good with the stock handlebars but will find out after a couple rides.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts