Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and found posts about laying down the plate but all the links to instruction are broken. I need some simple instruction to lay my plate down. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
740 Posts
take the entire assembly off. there are two bolts on the inside of the fender. pretty simple to remove.

with the lic plate off, you will see two screws, with acorn nuts on the other side connecting the backing plate to the foot. remove this. take the rubber boot that went between the assembly and the fender, use this as a template to mark where your holes are going to be drilled, and drill two holes.

you will have to buy some longer bolts, what i did is i got two (forget what theyre called right now) bolt looking things. one end had a flat head slot on it, with a smooth shaft (how sick is this sounding right now) then a flat headed screw was at the other end. basically sandwiched whatever was in between the two. got a couple washers for both sides, and a rubber grommet to go on the inside to protect the fender from splitting. i believe i got 1 3/4 inch bolts. the stock bolt wont work because of the hex head, then youll have to get a nut on the other end, and no matter what, you will be having to form your plate around that. in order to keep the flat plate look, this was the only way i could figure out how to do it.

there is a thread in here, couldnt find it myself, but it has a link with pictures to this, makes it a hell of alot less confusing. hope it helps tho.

goodluck!!

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
I found it easier to leave the rubber boot on the fender, since it was "attached" and I didn't wanna fight trying to squeeze that awkward thing back through that hole.

·
Registered
740 Posts
TNrookie said:
I found it easier to leave the rubber boot on the fender, since it was "attached" and I didn't wanna fight trying to squeeze that awkward thing back through that hole.
it WAS a pain in the ass to get the rubber footings back into the hole, but i found it alot easier to be able to move that boot around to find the correct placement instead of fighting the fender for your pilot holes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Took the bracket off, drilled 2 holes in the original backing plate that where centered and the width of the plate, then put the original bolts back through the backing plate and attached license plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts