Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends invited me on a trip to the next Sturgis rally. They are planning to camp along the way and it will be the first overnight trip I've done on the bike. The question is what would you bring to Sturgis and what advise would you give to a first timer?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Get out of jail free card... Lol. Have fun. Don't over pack, roadside assistance membership, plenty of water.

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
One: Money. It is a tourist trap for bikers.
Two: Your credit card with the lowest balance and highest spending limits (see reason number 1).
Three: Sunscreen. Self explanatory.
Four: Gomen money. For the same reason the Japanese use it.
Five: Get out of jail free card. It can be a rough crowd, with a bunch of drunk wannabes and 1%ers. You don't want to get caught in the crossfire.

It is an eye opening experience for me. I found out very quickly that the biker 'lifestyle' was not what I was interested in....

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
If your looking to party hard and not worried about sleep, I'd recommend Glencoe or Buffalo Chip campgrounds. There are campgrounds that welcome and encourage all night partying and some that don't/

One that don't is Bear Butte Creek. It is right across the hiway from Buffalo Chip and I have stayed there numerous times. Reasonable rates, reasonable meals, live music every night (not great music but good music) and beer is 1/2 price of anywhere else. The bathrooms are clean and the showers are ALWAYS hot, something you'll learn to appreaciate.

Bear Butte Creek Campground

Sturgis can be as expensive as you want to make it. There fast food joints just like everyplace else, be prepared to stand in line. The pork producers give out free pork loin sandwiches in front of the grocery store on LaSalle street every day. You can get a heck of a breakfast and supper at Bear Butte for $6.

Drinking is expensive, $6 for a beer in the clip joints. Drinking and riding is more expensive. They bring in law enforcement from about 4 different states and cops are everywhere. If your going to party the best thing is to park the bike and buy a pass for Da Bus. $30 unlimited for the week and it stops at all the campgrounds, Buffalo Chip, Full Throttle, downtown, ect ect ect.

Bring rain gear. It rains AT LEAST once during every rally. Actually it rains AT LEAST once every day some where in the Hills. Trick is to watch the weather and ride to where it isn't raining. When it's not raining it so frikken hot you can barely stand it. That is the time to ride and try to get some elevation. Always cooler in the Mt Rushmore/Crazy Horse area.

When I need to cool off I go to The Service Club on the south end of Main Street in Sturgis. It is a combination American Legion and VFW, open to the public and just a good place to hang out. 110% biker friendly and good parking too.

If you go right during the rally the traffic on the roads is terrible at times. You just have to be careful and deal with it. Whatever you do make sure you ride Iron Mountain Road, Needles hiway and Vanocker Canyon. Those three are the best. LaSalle street is a great stroll to check out the motorcycle vendors. Main Street is good for people watching (but it gets VERY crowded, elbow to elbow kind of crowed).

I spend more time at the Harley dealership in Rapid City. Huge assortment of vendors and they are not exclusively Harley.

The Ford dealership in Sturgis clears it's lot and that is where most of the factory demo bikes are set up. Harley, Indian, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Victory, Can Am, you can ride any model bike you want. You do want to get there early, the wait gets to be long by mid day/afternoon.

Deadwood is a good stop, it's only about 10 miles and great scenic roads out of Deadwood.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Some friends invited me on a trip to the next Sturgis rally. They are planning to camp along the way and it will be the first overnight trip I've done on the bike. The question is what would you bring to Sturgis and what advise would you give to a first timer?

Never been to Sturgis but have done quite a bit of camping in my younger days.
You might ask your friends what their bringing.

I would recommend REI here in Co. Springs as they have a good selection of “light-weight” compact, camping gear that should work for motorcycle camping.
A 2 man tent with a full rain fly is a must to stay dry. (Inside Condensation can be a problem if you don’t have one).
A medium weight sleeping bag and sleeping mat. (The ground gets really hard about 2am).
A small bag for your personal care products.
Another one for your extra clothing etc. etc…

Cheers...

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I camp. I'll be at Sturgis. I motel going and leaving, but camp while there. I no longer sleep on a camping pad. Since I started doing it as described below, all my buddies have done the same thing. I guess age is catching up with all of us.

I take an inflatable twin air matteress, fitted sheets, a blanket and a pillow. It actually takes up the same amount of room as my old sleeping bag and pad, but it is a bit heavier. But oh so comfortable. I have an REI 2 man tent. Getting a great nights sleep makes all the rest, the parties, the gas lines, the crowded roads seem so easy. This all fits into a medium sized waterproof bag. Waterproof as stated above because it rains every afternoon, so have good and quick to don rain gear. Needles and Iron, Deadwood, are all targets. Just remember, there are 100,000 other people with the same idea.

Everything is expensive if you need it (food, beer, motels, gas) and bargains galore if it is an option to buy such as a farkle/mod for you or your bike. The big motorcycle parts suppliers come there to sell stuff. Pack light going, leave room for all the **** you could bring home.

There are bad asses and want to be bad asses and then regular folks. Pick your camp site wisely. Take moist towelettes or wet towels to make sure you can give yourself a good scrub as depending on where you stay, the line at the showers can be long.

Don't be stupid.

Make your motel or camping reservations this week!

Buffalo Chip has the best music, the most noise, and is the Sturgis experience. The other nearby sites are good choices as the BA and WtbBA are mostly all at the Chip.

Oh, remember where you left your bike, everything looks alike after a while. You may send as much time finding your bike again as you do looking for the right Tee-shirt. It will be right where you left it, just that everything around it will have changed.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
My set up at Bear Butte Creek. I pull a trailer 'cause I can, but I could get everything except the lawn chair and the cooler on the bike if I had to.

+1 on the inflatable mattress.

As you can see, Bear Butte has lots of shade. Don't settle for any campground that puts you out on the prairie with no shade, the heat becomes unbearable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Spearfish Canyon and Devils Tower ride. I put about 300-500 miles on a weekend out here,if you have any questions,just ask.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
All good advice.........every biker should do Sturgis at least once. I've been there a number of times, just never with a bike. 2015 will be with the bike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You don't need dark sunglasses to stare,the girls expect it and even poise for picture with there pasties and painted nips and expect the attention,it's all most considered rude not to notice.On facebook I've always made the comment "going to party with 500 thousand of my best friends",but I live here and have always felt at home with the rally. Just don't be afraid to have lots of fun.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
LOL, some of the old bags that get painted up I'm tempted to tell them they should have paid more and got more paint. Some of them are great.......some are NASTY!!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL, some of the old bags that get painted up I'm tempted to tell them they should have paid more and got more paint. Some of them are great.......some are NASTY!!!!!
You get that at all the rallies and nude beaches. Most of the ones that get naked are the ones you wish would not. Still fun thought.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lots of great advice guys. Keep em coming. Picked up a new bag for the sissy bar that will hold a sleeping bag. We'll have to see if I can get my little pup tent on there for the rain. Going to do a couple local runs with it before the rally to identify any problems.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Beezer- Dark shades so nobody sees you staring at their girl.
You don't need dark sunglasses to stare,the girls expect it and even poise for picture with there pasties and painted nips and expect the attention,it's all most considered rude not to notice........[snip].....
Depends, I'd definitely wear my shades for the full duration. But then, I'm married and not all that eager to spend a my entire visit looking at the sidewalk and/or a long trip home dealing with the repercussions of getting an eyeful.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Bring a tarp to put down BEFORE you set up you tent, it helps keep things dryer when it rains.

Be mindful of where the sun is in relation to your tent site. I set up late in the day and had nice shade, but the sun was like a spot light shining on the tent at sunrise...no sleeping in.

Your going to use communal showers, bring flip flops. A length of rope to string a clothesline to dry cloths and towels. Flashlight. Piece of wood to put your kickstand on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts