Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some friends and I are planning a trip to the Zanesville area for next June to ride this stretch of road... I know some of you guys have done trips here in the past, and I had a couple questions.

We all live in the Greater Toronto Area, so we are planning a 3 day trip (take off Friday). One day down on the east side of Erie, and spend a day on the 555, and then a day heading home on the west side of the lake.

So that would be two nights in the Zanesville area.

Question 1: Any motel recommendations? We don't need 5 star, but something nice and clean would be ideal.

Question 2: Since we have a day in the area, any other local roads that are worth riding?

I guess the other big question... is it worth it? The road looks great, but it's nice to hear from someone who has been there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
After you finish 555, head east to Marietta and take OH-26N to OH-800N.

You can take 800 up to 70 to get back to Zanesville.

555, 26, 800 are the popular rides, there are several just as good roads with less traffic. I would recommend posting in May after the road conditions have been sorted out.

Sorry, no motel recommendations, this is a day trip for me.

·
Registered
21,173 Posts
I don't have as many miles on that stretch as Steve G or Steve Gray, or even Phil Jet, but I've been down that road more than twice....

Accommodations: Zanesville is on the smaller side, but there are a number of hotels in town. They range from EconoLodge to Hampton Inn. So you have a good selection to choose from. Be aware that there is a lot of oil exploration in the area and the crews will often book a hotel for weeks solid, so get your reservations in early if you can.

The ride: Have you ever been on a rollercoaster? One where the turns, dips and climbs all seem randomly placed? Yeah, 555 is that kind of a road. Unlike more famous roads the 'The Tail Of the Dragon', there is little flow to the road. It literally follows the undulating landscape and often involves 90* or better off camber turns. Add onto that, the narrow shoulders, unpredictable traffic. It is not a road that is to be taken lightly. It is a challenge that you will not forget. 78.8 miles from Zanesville, to Beplre Oh. I like to do it both ways in the same day.

Other roads? Southeast Ohio is full of fabulous roads. The only question is how far do you plan to ride in a day? Ohio 800 from Uhrichsville to Ohio 7 is another fantastic road. As is Ohio 26 from Marietta to Barnesville. It is easy to get lost in all the wonder of those fantastic roads. I've only ridden a handful and I've lived in the area all my life...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Steve and Skrap... I'm keeping it on the shortlist and will work out the details when it gets closer.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
i ride that area a couple times a year and agree with most that was said above, except I wouldn't bother riding the nickel both directions. There are so many nicer roads to explore. I did 555 two years ago and there were some pretty bad stretches and lots of gravel. Post up a few weeks before you go down there and I'll go ride it and report back. Personally, I could spend a whole day playing in the triangle that Marrietta, Cambridge and Wheeling make. 148, 800, 78, 26, 145, even the short stretch of 260 are lots of fun in that area.

I'm know I've spent the night in Zanesville, but can't remember where...I spend 1/3 of the year in hotels, so it all runs together.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Philjet, especially for the other hwys that you like. I had a quick look at google maps, and they look good too...

·
Registered
23,533 Posts
Since you plan on staying, let me advise you on a hotel we stayed at last year. It was the Econolodge on 7th street. It is easy access to I-70 but it's not walking distance to many eateries. Our room was smelly and the bathroom was filthy. We were moved to 2 different rooms and finally ended with one yhat only had about a 3/4" gap under the door. The little bar downstairs was nice but that's about it. It is quite but the neighborhood was kind of run down.
I've read that they have started some remodeling but there was a lot to do from what I saw.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to Alpha Dog too! I see that I can easily string together a 6 hour day of riding in this area... Looks like fun! Can't wait for spring to come back now.

Check Scorpion... No to the the Econolodge on 7th.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
You'll have a good time on that ride.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Your ride from Marietta to Zanesville very nearly matches the ride we went on in August with the Value Accessories crew only in reverse direction. Very nice riding down there. Rode 555 by ourselves a couple of years back going southbound, will do again for sure.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Looks like a perfect day of riding!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This June trip is getting closer... 24 hours of riding over 3 days sounds about perfect to my winter-weary soul!

Question for the locals. Best spot for lunch in Marietta/Williamstown area? A bbq spot, roadhouse or something like that would be perfect.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OMG... I think I wish I lived in mid-Ohio!

My friends and I did this ride over the past weekend, and it was absolutely fantastic! Saturday's loop, which I created based on advice from you guys, was just the best day of riding I've ever had. The roads are like riding a rollercoaster... constantly accelerating, braking, turning, adjusting. Just wow!

Great scenery too... covered bridges, bright green hills, and the Sistersville Ferry was a fun little diversion.

Highly recommended for those in the area... or really, even if you aren't!

·
Registered
21,173 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it. SE Ohio is an under appreciated motorcycle destination!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks like I was late to the party. 93 and 78 are two favorites of mine. If you ever return try Muddy Misers in Zanesville for lunch or dinner. The patio overlooks the river.

·
Registered
21,173 Posts
I am hosting the 2016 OctoVRFest and am planning on basing our rides out of Zanesville. The triple nickel, 78 and 26 being one day's ride, then 60 up to Holmes County and Amish country the other. Haven't nailed down the dates yet, but it will be mid to late Sept 2016.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.