Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning an overnight (one night, 2 day) ride with some buddies through the backroads of central and southern Ontario. 3-5 guys, each riding solo and staying in a cabin/motel overnight.

My question is simple I think... How many hours of riding a day is 'fun'?

I don't want to spend hours sitting around, but I don't want this to turn into an Ironbutt either.

If we start early (before 9), is 8 hours of 'google maps' time OK, or too much? Or too little?

All thoughts and comments are welcome!

·
Administrator
5,966 Posts
This really varies from person to person and is dependent on variables such as the comfort of each individual bike's seat/ergos, the weather, the roads being traveled, etc. etc.

Personally I have found that if I start around 7-8 a.m. I am more than ready to wrap it up by 4 p.m., so that is a max of 8-9 hours less rest breaks and a long lunch stop. Call it somewhere between 6 and 7 hours actually on the road.

Of course you CAN do more, and I often have, but IMHO it stops being fun.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I would agree with the timeline that BB has offered. With gas stops, lunch break, I can cover 350 miles in an 8 hour day. 6 hours of riding time. That pace keeps everyone relaxed, rested when you arrive and gives you time to enjoy that days destination. Good luck.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My question is simple I think... How many hours of riding a day is 'fun'?
You a$$ will tell you. Not only can it talk, it can scream when the ride gets too long.

+1 on about 350 miles per day.

Post some pictures of the ride

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for...

Planning for 6 hours of riding sounds good to me, now I just have to plan a route that gets us hitting the Tobermory ferry at the right times!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Multiple days, 9-3 generally. I tend to aim for an average of 330-350 mile days with a short day mixed in. These are more 8-4 rides and are not as much fun unless destination is really worth it. They are fun when traveling with a buddy as misery loves company and neither one of you will admit your butt hurts until after a beverage. I think those who ride in groups aim for a mix of 250 miles per day. This allows riders to stop, eat, pee, gas, etc on a more relaxed schedule. For two buddies together getting it on, 450 is okay, but two days of that you you be wise to sit by the pool for a day.

Headed West, you want off road before the sun burns your eyes. Somehow early starts headed East don't seem so bad. Especially if you like riding into the dawn.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you like your America compared to your sold C50SE?
I have a Triumph dealership a half mile from my house.
Do you regret going from shaft to chain drive?
How's the seat?
Triumph vs C50? The Triumph is faster, smoother, better geared... revs like crazy, which makes it more fun for me. Better brakes. I would say the C50 was better handling (more neutral), and I miss the floorboards.

Chain drive... I don't mind. Waxing the chain gives me something I can fiddle with... :)

Triumph seat? It SUCKS! I didn't have a problem with the stock C50 seat (it wasn't perfect, but I've spent 9 hour days in it without an issue). The Triumph seat is just terrible. Too soft, poorly shaped. I took it to a shop this winter to have it re-foamed. Much better now.

I loved my C50, but I wanted something smoother (with better range per tank) that was still around the same size. I'm happy with the Triumph... I just need a few more accessories to make her perfect!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts