Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Pipes and Fuel

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  CAYCE C50T 
#1 ·
Sorry if you have already seen this, but I posted it in the wrong forum.

I am looking for information on which pipes and fuel processor to get. I am down to the 2" Cobra drags or the V/H Straights for pipes. As for fuel processors, I am down to the fi 2000 and TFI Techlusion. Any information or advice on the best combination?

#3 ·
I have the Drags and the Fi2000. I just got a K&N in the mail so I plan to put that on. I love the sound of the drags, esp cause I put in the Thunder Monster Baffles. They sound awesome!. I have set off car alarms now..

But I have heard the V&H Cruzers and they sound pretty good

#5 ·
Engine24355 said:
Sorry if you have already seen this, but I posted it in the wrong forum.

I am looking for information on which pipes and fuel processor to get. I am down to the 2" Cobra drags or the V/H Straights for pipes. As for fuel processors, I am down to the fi 2000 and TFI Techlusion. Any information or advice on the best combination?
If you're only going with pipes and keeping the stock air intake, either the Fi2000 or the Techlusion will work. If you have an aftermarket air intake anywhere in your future for the same bike, you'll want the Power Commander.

Daryl

#6 ·
COBRA 2'' Drags and the COBRA FI2000... That's the combo i have at the moment... I will be buying an intake when I have a little spare cash.... Prob won't be for a WHILE though... ;-)

#9 ·
I just put straight shots on my 06 and they sound great. I actually like the popping and gurgling and only notice it once they get good and hot. I have not rejetted, not but in a controller or disabled the PAIR. They've run about a week and still strong. I did have a little clearance problem when assembling the V&H's. One muffler wouldn't quite fit but a little file and rubber mallet and it worked like a charm. They look good and sound better, set off my first car alarm today.

P.s. my baffles are still in

#10 ·
Allow me to amend my previous reply:

After installing my HK 2.5" American Strippers, Thunder Mfg air intake and DynoJet PC yesterday, I can honestly tell you that the PC is the way to go! The map's for them include: 0 = a stock bike; 1 = one mod only (air or pipes); 2 = aftermarket air & pipes upgrade; and 3 = GONZO upgrades on everything beyond the #2 level map upgrade.

I obviously used the #2 level map upgrade in my PC... and MY GOD what a difference with these goodies on there. The motor is opened up and allowed to breathe and flow! I got on it a little bit and the darn bike almost jumped out of my hands!!!

Mercy yes, the PC's worth it... and a breeze to download and install. I did all upgrades myself (pipes, air intake, PC) in 5 hours yesterday.

Daryl

#12 ·
DS06C50T said:
Allow me to amend my previous reply:

After installing my HK 2.5" American Strippers, Thunder Mfg air intake and DynoJet PC yesterday, I can honestly tell you that the PC is the way to go! The map's for them include: 0 = a stock bike; 1 = one mod only (air or pipes); 2 = aftermarket air & pipes upgrade; and 3 = GONZO upgrades on everything beyond the #2 level map upgrade.

I obviously used the #2 level map upgrade in my PC... and MY GOD what a difference with these goodies on there. The motor is opened up and allowed to breathe and flow! I got on it a little bit and the darn bike almost jumped out of my hands!!!

Mercy yes, the PC's worth it... and a breeze to download and install. I did all upgrades myself (pipes, air intake, PC) in 5 hours yesterday.

Daryl

daryl!
do you by anychance have pictures on the thunder intake install?

any tips or heads up would be appreciated!

#14 ·
Gents,
See here: www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?p=301378#301378

The thunder intake install was pretty straight froward. Take off the old, "alien head" air intake. Unscrew the sensor (one screw) from the back of the old intake. Remove chrome cover from left side of bike (as you sit on it). Remove the 5/8" rubber tubing that goes from the vac pump (the left side that you just removed cover from) thru the V-Twins to the right side. This is the 5/8" tube that used to be attached to the stock air intake. Use the rubber plug off the bottom of the stock air intake to "cap" the phlange on the vac pump (the left side of bike that you just took the rectangular chrome cover off of).

Remove the two curved braces that are mounted to the V-Twin cylinders; you won't be needing them or the 5/8" tube any more!

Install the probe you took off the stock air intakeo onto the new adaptor. It's obvious where it goes. Make sure you get the upper air intake housing securely and evenly placed on top of the adaptor and use the stock clamp to tighten it on. Mount the adaptor to the V-Twin cylinders using new screws from Thunder.

Mount the air filter plate to the adaptor. Mount the emblem to the outside of the air filter plate, and you're done! Viola!

When you fire it up, you will hear a faint sucking sound. Yep, that's your new air intake sucking BIG air, not a vac leak! Now your engine's breathing like it should! :wink:

Hope this clarifies the install enough; should make it a breeze and only take you 1/2hr - 1 hour max. Maybe less, depending on how good of tools you have available to you. Pretty simple install, so don't panic over it! You'll see what I mean...

Best,
Daryl

#15 ·
DS06C50T said:
Gents,

The thunder intake install was pretty straight froward. Take off the old, "alien head" air intake. Unscrew the sensor (one screw) from the back of the old intake. Remove chrome cover from left side of bike (as you sit on it). Remove the 5/8" rubber tubing that goes from the vac pump (the left side that you just removed cover from) thru the V-Twins to the right side. This is the 5/8" tube that used to be attached to the stock air intake. Use the rubber plug off the bottom of the stock air intake to "cap" the phlange on the vac pump (the left side of bike that you just took the rectangular chrome cover off of).

Remove the two curved braces that are mounted to the V-Twin cylinders; you won't be needing them or the 5/8" tube any more!

Install the probe you took off the stock air intakeo onto the new adaptor. It's obvious where it goes. Make sure you get the upper air intake housing securely and evenly placed on top of the adaptor and use the stock clamp to tighten it on. Mount the adaptor to the V-Twin cylinders using new screws from Thunder.

Mount the air filter plate to the adaptor. Mount the emblem to the outside of the air filter plate, and you're done! Viola!

When you fire it up, you will hear a faint sucking sound. Yep, that's your new air intake sucking BIG air, not a vac leak! Now your engine's breathing like it should! :wink:

Hope this clarifies the install enough; should make it a breeze and only take you 1/2hr - 1 hour max. Maybe less, depending on how good of tools you have available to you. Pretty simple install, so don't panic over it! You'll see what I mean...

Best,
Daryl
Thanks for the information. I'm going to call tomorrow and purchase a few accessories, including a Thunder Air filter and PC. It doesn't sound like you had to remove the gas tank?

#16 ·
DS06C50T said:
Gents,

Best,
Daryl

good post...thanks for the help.

#17 ·
Surfcity,

Technically NO, you don't have to remove the gas tank. Realistically, YES, I had to. I was unable to get underneath the tank by lifting the back end of it well enough to do what needed to be done. And, at that point, it was only a matter of removing 2 lines. It just made it easier for me to see everything and to find everything. If you have someone helping you that can hold the tank up while you dig under it for the couple of Steps in the instructions that require getting under it, then fine. I did not, so off it came!

If you do end up taking it off and it has gas still in it, it's a bit wobbly to manage (depending of course how much gas is still in it). You probably won't spill a whole lot of gas, so that's not a significant worry. Removing the dashboard is easy: 3 screws and a large modular plug-in underneath; that's it.

The toughest "plug-in" for me to find was the one that is actually on top of the front cylinder as you sit on the ground on the left side of the bike. I had to use the process of elimination via the picture of that particular Step to figure it out. You'll see what I mean when you get to it.

Good luck. Don't stress out about the install, it's not bad at all. Remember, if worst comes to worst, send me an E or a PM with a phone number and I'll walk you thru it.

Cheers,
Daryl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.