Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so much for the bad karma but also alot of good karma that life brought me yesterday....so, pick up the pieces and time to move on and begin the search for a replacement...been spending the day tending to the needs of the other half and while watching the masters started the search...

so..heres the deal..have owned 2 bikes in my 10 years of riding...2004 volusia... owned from 2004-2010...putting on 87k...then replaced it with a 2005 c90 purchased with 15k and left this world with 64k...so one can see I ride. Whereas I really would prefer a sport tourer, the hope is that this recent accident will not have frightened my wife to not ever ride again. Only she'll know if and when should the time should come that she would like to resume riding...so that being said..and making the return to riding more appealing...another cruiser is going to replace the c90.

Looking from advice from folks who have had cruisers used for riding 2 up...good and bad...this will be a used bike again and cost effective not looking for a HD...

About the only thing maintenance wise I do is change my own oil...enjoy doing it and do it rather often, every 2-2.5k...seems like every 4-6 weeks in prime time and both my previous bikes made the procedure relatively easy...not looking to have to bring the bike in to have service dept do it because it requires dissasembling the bike to do it...have heard some strange tales out there regarding oil changes w/some bikes...

Also looking for self adjusting valves which i found a nice feature on the c90... again one less thing to not have to need to schedule to bring in and save $$$...

Got spoiled with the c90 getting mid to hi 40's mpg...not looking for something that will get in the low 30's...

so pretty much looking at ...

hondas...vtx line 1300/1800

kawasaki's...don't know much about vulcans yet other than they are self adjusting valves...nomads, while I have always loved the look, I have read are gas guzzlers aside from being top heavy....vulcans and nomads the same bike?

suzukis...been very pleased with my c90..a dog power wise but never failed to get me where I needed to go or give me the needed acceleration we often need at certain times...comfort wise good and gas being at the bottom of the bike made the center of gravity good and easy to maneuver...don't know much about the 109 series...

Yamahas...guess I need to research the 1300 vstar line as well as the roadstar and stratoliner...

now I'm not sure if the 1300 lines in either the hondas or yamahas should be considered for my needs if the wife decides to ride with me...don't see why not...just again some input if anyone has ridden these 2 up.

so would appreciate any info you could offer...thanks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like the Star 1300 but no self adjusting valves. Need to be done every 16,000 miles.
I think the Stratoliner and Road Starr are self adjusting.
The Strat is suprizingly light due to an aluminium frame.
It's 1900 cc and felt lighter than the Road Star at 1700 cc.

·
Super Moderator
8,878 Posts
kawasaki's...don't know much about vulcans yet other than they are self adjusting valves...nomads, while I have always loved the look, I have read are gas guzzlers aside from being top heavy....vulcans and nomads the same bike?
As you know, Dennis, I don't do 2 up, so I can't offer any advice there.

However, I can tell you that Vulcan is the name of Kawasaki's cruiser line-up, the way Boulevard is the name Suzuki gives to all of its cruisers.

The Nomad is a particularly-equipped version of the Vulcan 1500, 1600 or 1700-cc model (depending on model year). Buy a Vulcan 1500/1600/1700 Classic, and you get the exact same frame and power plant as on a Nomad, just "undressed" and with stacked pipes instead of dualies.

The Nomad comes pre-equipped with a windshield, hard bags, a passenger backrest, and fore and aft tip-over bars. It competes head-on with the Harley Road King. Beginning in (I think) 2009, Kawasaki also released the Voyager, which is much like a Nomad except it has a frame-mounted fairing and a rear trunk. It competes with the Harley Road Glide.

The next step down, size-wise, from these big guys are the Vulcan Classic and Custom that come with a 900-cc power plant. Direct competition for the C50. Have never known anybody who owned one that was unhappy with it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Wow, you are starting quick! 24 hours after I read your post from yesterday, and here you are looking for info on a new one!
Here is my opinion, which generally doesn't count for much, but you asked...
You are familiar with Suzuki's and you were happy with the C90. Unless you were dissatisfied with it, maybe that should be in the top 3 considered.
I have a 2007 Nomad and am happy with it. They are gas hogs, but if I am easy on it out on the road, low to mid 40's are very easy to achieve. Self adjusting valves, and comfortable. The new ones are 1700cc's, run on regular fuel, and really haven't had issues that other big twins have(run hot in traffic in the summer, are heavy in the twisties, etc).
Yamaha 1300 are great bikes, and the newer touring version has hard bags and a fairing. I believe they still need regular valve adjustments, but fuel economy and durability are stellar.
Honda's replacement for the VTX line are great bikes, but they seem to not have a huge following. The Stateline is an awesome bike. Reliable, comfortable, and not expensive to maintain. The wheelbase is long giving a nice ride, but not as manueverable in tight turns. Aftermarket stuff may not be as available, and I think they are very good bikes but maybe a bit er, boring.
Used Victorys can be picked up for a decent price. Test ride a Kingpin, they handle great and a used one can be had for $10k or less.
There are most likely others that I missed, but someone else will chime in...
See if you can ride any of the ones I listed, if you find one that fits and meets your needs, buy it!

·
Administrator
5,964 Posts
As Woodswoman says, the Kawasaki cruisers/tourers are a bit top heavy, but their Vulcan engines are pretty darn bulletproof. I have had two - a 1600cc 2008 Nomad and a 1700cc 2011 Vaquero (which is pretty much a Nomad with a fairing and without comfortable passenger accommodation) - and I have been very happy with each of them. Gas mileage isn't impressive, around 40 mpg on each bike, but that is characteristic of the big displacement engines. They say they need premium fuel, but I have found that they run quite happily on mid grade or even on standard gas.

The Nomad and Voyager models have quite comfy passenger fittings. The older bikes, the 1600cc series (which they upgraded to 1700cc in 2009 or 2010) have longer frames which some taller folks, 6' and up, find pleasant. The newer 1700s feel a bit more compact as regards the rider's position, but by the same token they feel a bit less top heavy.

If they interest you, take my 1700 Vaquero for a good long ride, or for a couple of days, to get the feel of the line.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You might want to do some further research on the valve adjustment issue. For example, my 99 Honda CBR1100XX sportbike has a valve check interval of 16,000 miles as well. It currently has over 50k on it and I've never been into the engine. There are several guys that have broken there's down at 100k and the valves only be off by .001 or .002, which is WELL within tolerance. You're talking about a sportbike with an 11,000 RPM redline, and in my case, one that has made hundreds of passes at the dragstrip as well.

The C50, I can see, since it has a nut and stud and all old school like that. But a shim under bucket should be pretty much bulletproof.

·
Super Moderator
20,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As Woodswoman says, the Kawasaki cruisers/tourers are a bit top heavy, but their Vulcan engines are pretty darn bulletproof. I have had two - a 1600cc 2008 Nomad and a 1700cc 2011 Vaquero (which is pretty much a Nomad with a fairing and without comfortable passenger accommodation) - and I have been very happy with each of them. Gas mileage isn't impressive, around 40 mpg on each bike, but that is characteristic of the big displacement engines. They say they need premium fuel, but I have found that they run quite happily on mid grade or even on standard gas.

The Nomad and Voyager models have quite comfy passenger fittings. The older bikes, the 1600cc series (which they upgraded to 1700cc in 2009 or 2010) have longer frames which some taller folks, 6' and up, find pleasant. The newer 1700s feel a bit more compact as regards the rider's position, but by the same token they feel a bit less top heavy.

If they interest you, take my 1700 Vaquero for a good long ride, or for a couple of days, to get the feel of the line.
generous offer Mike but I have this thing about riding others bikes tho I did ride your nomad back at some OctVRFest rally to see what they rode like...will continue to consider the vulcan/nomad line,,,thanx.

·
Super Moderator
20,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As you know, Dennis, I don't do 2 up, so I can't offer any advice there.

However, I can tell you that Vulcan is the name of Kawasaki's cruiser line-up, the way Boulevard is the name Suzuki gives to all of its cruisers.

The Nomad is a particularly-equipped version of the Vulcan 1500, 1600 or 1700-cc model (depending on model year). Buy a Vulcan 1500/1600/1700 Classic, and you get the exact same frame and power plant as on a Nomad, just "undressed" and with stacked pipes instead of dualies.

The Nomad comes pre-equipped with a windshield, hard bags, a passenger backrest, and fore and aft tip-over bars. It competes head-on with the Harley Road King. Beginning in (I think) 2009, Kawasaki also released the Voyager, which is much like a Nomad except it has a frame-mounted fairing and a rear trunk. It competes with the Harley Road Glide.

The next step down, size-wise, from these big guys are the Vulcan Classic and Custom that come with a 900-cc power plant. Direct competition for the C50. Have never known anybody who owned one that was unhappy with it.

buying an undressed bike Chris is a recipie for disaster as you have seen my previous bikes...got to admit... a fresh pot of coffee, credit card nearby and an understanding wife who knows all too well how much i enjoy personalizing my bikes..who knows...could be a ride bonding project for the two of us in the making...may help to get her back in the saddle...guess its all how one looks at it...thanx for the input.

·
Super Moderator
20,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I like the Star 1300 but no self adjusting valves. Need to be done every 16,000 miles.
I think the Stratoliner and Road Starr are self adjusting.
The Strat is suprizingly light due to an aluminium frame.
It's 1900 cc and felt lighter than the Road Star at 1700 cc.
every 16k isn't bad...that would realisticly be once a year and the ride does go in periodicly for maintenance...thanx. also remember Carsten...(Moenko alias Jolly Green Giant) had a strat...could very well have been the one of the most beautiful bikes i ever saw...his particular one had more chrome on the bike than the amount of chrome some stores have in stock...remember thinking...could never own that...be spending all my riding time just trying to keep all the chrome polished.

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Wow Dennis, you put a lot of miles on the C90.

Did you ever consider a Star RoadStar. It is aircooled, but has beautiful lines and it’s reliable as a rock. Belt driven, 1600+ cc, the new ones are FI, and the cylinders are ceramic lined.

2014 Star Motorcycles Road Star S Features & Benefits

as other’s have said, Kawi’s are top heavy, Honda VTX would be a great choice, but they don’t make them anymore. I know you are looking for used, but I’m weary of getting anything where the model has been discontinued, dealer support is an important factor.

·
Administrator
16,300 Posts
If it ain't broke...don't fix it....sounds like you've been real happy with the C90....look for another.

I like the form, fit, finish, and function of the Yamaha line up. That would be on my short list. Probably the 1300 tourer with the fairing, or the other larger bikes, roadliner or stratoliner.

Don't limit your search to local.....keyboard motorcycling shipping will deliver most of the east coast for under $600

·
Super Moderator
20,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wow, you are starting quick! 24 hours after I read your post from yesterday, and here you are looking for info on a new one!
Here is my opinion, which generally doesn't count for much, but you asked...
You are familiar with Suzuki's and you were happy with the C90. Unless you were dissatisfied with it, maybe that should be in the top 3 considered.
I have a 2007 Nomad and am happy with it. They are gas hogs, but if I am easy on it out on the road, low to mid 40's are very easy to achieve. Self adjusting valves, and comfortable. The new ones are 1700cc's, run on regular fuel, and really haven't had issues that other big twins have(run hot in traffic in the summer, are heavy in the twisties, etc).
Yamaha 1300 are great bikes, and the newer touring version has hard bags and a fairing. I believe they still need regular valve adjustments, but fuel economy and durability are stellar.
Honda's replacement for the VTX line are great bikes, but they seem to not have a huge following. The Stateline is an awesome bike. Reliable, comfortable, and not expensive to maintain. The wheelbase is long giving a nice ride, but not as manueverable in tight turns. Aftermarket stuff may not be as available, and I think they are very good bikes but maybe a bit er, boring.
Used Victorys can be picked up for a decent price. Test ride a Kingpin, they handle great and a used one can be had for $10k or less.
There are most likely others that I missed, but someone else will chime in...
See if you can ride any of the ones I listed, if you find one that fits and meets your needs, buy it!
is what it is...like spilled milk...clean up the mess and pour another glass...waited all winter, and boy what a winter, to ride and while not going to rush out and buy just anything... like I said..is what it is..move on and get back in the saddle...too many places to go..people to have lunch with...people to annoy...

now back to whats important...40's in the mpgs is good and as most people i ride with know all to well, I'm more layback than aggressive...heavy in twisties.. .hmmmm... thats my trademark...finding all the twisites in Ct...but then again I have lots of experience...in all reality trying to keep it under 10k...stateline interesting bike...like it as a solo rider and also like the shaft drive...don't know anything about belts/chains and whats required to maintain them...victory kingpin looks nice...never knew anyone who owned anything in the victory anything but pleased..will have to look further in that...thanx for your input.

·
Super Moderator
20,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually it's 3.7 gallon tank, which you probably already knew that. And I LOVE my 01 LC.
really...remember me and carlos arguing about my tank only being 2 gallon because he had the 99 and me telling him it was 3.7...he was always stopping every 100 miles so i could fill up thinking I was running on fumes.

·
Administrator
16,300 Posts
Here you go Dennis. Suzuki 2008 Boulevard C90

Check out mutualent.com for hundreds of quality used bikes. They are in Springfield. Great place to check out all brands at once.

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Here you go Dennis. Suzuki 2008 Boulevard C90

Check out mutualent.com for hundreds of quality used bikes. They are in Springfield. Great place to check out all brands at once.
The Stator issues would make me stay away from the C90, Dennis I know you had that issue on your C90. It’s time to move on to other reliable bikes, but that’s me. Just keeping it real.

1 - 20 of 376 Posts