1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley-Davidson Paint Designed to get Scratched

by Steve
Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ray Drea, senior director of styling at Harley-Davidson, said the following about the Motor Company's line of denim paints, used on their new "Dark Custom" motorcycles...

"One of the paints is called denim. It is designed to be roughed and rubbed off."
The quote appears in tomorrow's edition of the New York Times, where writer Phil Patton attended an unveiling of the new Softail Cross Bones in Manhattan, and was told that the Dark Custom line, which also includes last year's Nightster, are bikes are designed to be dirtied and roughed up, like a pair of jeans.

I guess it never occurred to me that Harley designed this denim series of paints to scuff, scratch, or even chip that easily, just so that customers can get a worn-out looking bike in a much faster time.

Is that what folks want these days? A motorcycle that looks like it has already traveled 100,000 miles? Well, if image is everything, then it stands to reason that you can't look like a "real biker" if your bike looks like a dealer rental.

It's like how you can get a brand new pair of jeans with tears, holes already in them.

Maybe each Harley dealership ought to set up a "beater department", where for an extra grand, they can make your bike look like it's been to Hell and back.
Labels: Harley Davidson Softail Cross Bones, Harley-Davidson

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
The audacity of corporation to cater to the wants of it customers, they'll never make it.
Viper

(pssst............it's called marketing)

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
Not for me...I prefer new looking chrome and paint.... :lol:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Fender has been doing this with their guitar line for years. I never did understand it. If it is to have character wear I want to be the one to tell the story.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Me too dog. But I had to throw a leg over mine a zillion times to get that look. And to think of all the miles and wasted gas I went through when I could have bought it that way. What a pity.

Kidding aside, this is the ultimate poseurs bike. Take it out only two weekends a year and it looks like a daily commuter. (hide the odometer)

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
big ed said:
Me too dog. But I had to throw a leg over mine a zillion times to get that look. And to think of all the miles and wasted gas I went through when I could have bought it that way. What a pity.
so you're saying this new bike is hd's entry into the 'green' campaign to conserve energy. no need to ride it at all!! :)

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
I have one with the denim paint. I love the look.

Of course, everyone knows the truth is that I never ride and need mine to come from the factory looking used so you won't all know I am really a poser... :roll: :roll: :roll: It couldn't possibly be that some of us might like the look... Do you always buy your jeans with that really dark blue denim and only get them to fade through washing or do you sometimes buy them already "washed" or faded???

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
funbikerchick said:

Of course, everyone knows the truth is that I never ride and need mine to come from the factory looking used so you won't all know I am really a poser... :roll: :roll: :roll: It couldn't possibly be that some of us might like the look... Do you always buy your jeans with that really dark blue denim and only get them to fade through washing or do you sometimes buy them already "washed" or faded???
That is like asking if I buy my trees already grown...nah, I like to watch them go through the cycle of change! :p

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
BobandMary said:
funbikerchick said:

That is like asking if I buy my trees already grown...nah, I like to watch them go through the cycle of change! :p
Well, do you plant a seed or a seedling??? :lol:

Seriously, I love less chrome because when I have lots of chrome I am fanatical about cleaning it. I believe my C50 is waaaaayyyyy prettier than my Street Bob, but I am very happy it won't be needing quite as much cleaning... :D

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
funbikerchick said:
... some of us might like the look...
easy does it! :D others have said they like the look, and i admit, i don't mind the scuffs so much that i spend all day trying to get them out, or laying awake at nite wondering how. i don't think anyone is picking on the look, necessarily, although some prefer that showroom shine that's so much elbow grease to keep, and is nice to look at as long as it's not my elbows. And we all know you've earned your "look," BUT, do you really like the idea that it's so easy for ANYONE to have it, too?

i admit, i kinda like looking at my bike, and admittedly embarrassedly sometimes, explaining how every nick came to be. 8) (or when it was, and why i don't know how. :evil: ) i guess that would work with this hd, too, just faster. ;)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
It's also become a popular thing with Street Rods.

But I wouldn't want facts to get in the way.

HD really didn't start this trend. But I'm sure now they'll get bashed for that!!! :lol:

BTW, the first cars didn't have gloss to their paint, that came later. So in reality, the look goes back to the late 1800 to early 1900's.

http://www.jimmyshine.com/custom-56merc.htm

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Yehp my Vol now has that look army green it is!!!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts