Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought I would be doing what I have read about others doing.

Bumper-to-bumper traffic, stop-and-go, on I-405 across the Freemont bridge northbound this evening on the way home from work. Traffic is moving smoothly but slowly. I am minding my own business, staying to the left side of my lane due to the way traffic likes to scoot in from the left if they can't see me.

I feel this presence and notice the Subaru that was just to my right is now halfway into my lane, front bumper at about the front of my saddle bag. Traffic stops suddenly and it jumps back to the right and out of the lane I was in. No biggie, no harm no foul, end of story for me....but...now traffic starts moving again and I see it again and this time we stop with my left saddle bag on the line and the Subaru's bumper even with my right knee and about six inches from it.

KICK STAND DOWN!!! I get off the left side of the bike and proceed to let this young lady know that I have a family at home that I would dearly love to make it home to see and that she needs to pay attention! She complained to me that the car behind me wouldn't let her in. I said that doesn't matter, please pay attention. I never used the profanity that was in my head nor did I argue with her. I just stated my case and then I got back on the bike and proceeded on my way, giving plenty of clearance and time for the shaking and nerves to calm down. Hopefully she will be a little more careful about motorcycles in the future.

Ride safe everyone and don't assume that just because you're only going 2 MPH that you aren't vulnerable.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Way to go!

Must've been an epidemic today.
I had the same thing at 35 mph today up on Galleria Blvd today.

The driver was looking right at me and kept coming over.
I indicated I wanted him to pull off the road so we could speak.

I don't know where he went from there.

·
Registered
534 Posts
JimKo said:
Heheh :shock: ...wonder what the "indication" looked like? I have a mental picture and and "indication" of my own that would probably work pretty well...they would be well advised not to pull off if I gave them my version. LOL

Be safe out there everyone!

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I was on a major road undergoing construction a couple of months ago. They had all the traffic shifted to the NB side of the road, so there was 1 lane in each direction, and lots of those flasher signs (aka AZ state tree). I pulled up at a red light and had two cagers in front of me. This particular intersection had the no left turn signs on each side of my lane and another across the intersection. The first car stopped in front of me was a late model Cadillac (around here, that means ELDERLY DRIVER) the car behind them, but in front of me was a woman and small child in a Honda Del Sol. I see the lady wagging her finger at the old driver in front and realized he was waiting for a left-turn signal, which ADOT had turned off, since no left turns were allowed. This guy wouldn't budge and there was no way around him. He just sat there. After sitting through one complete light cycle and sensing he wasn't going anywhere, I kicked the Nomad into neutral, put the sidestand down and got off the bike. I was wearing full leathers. I walked up alongside the Caddy, got the driver's attention, and grabbed one of the no left turn signs and held it where he could see it, and pointed at it with my other hand. He nodded to me that he understood, and I gave him a thumbs up and went back to my bike. There was a huge line of cars behind us at that point and several drivers beeped their horns and gave me the thumbs up as I got back on my bike. The signal turned green and the Cadillac proceeded straight through the intersection.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
"The car behind you wouldn't let her in..."

I HATE it when people just ASSUME because they put their turn signal on that they now have the right-of-way to merge right into you.

Sure, it's courteous to let someone over but I'm not going to slam on my brakes going 70 cuz some moron wants to get over in my lane.

·
Registered
851 Posts
JimKo said:
Way to go!

Must've been an epidemic today.
I had the same thing at 35 mph today up on Galleria Blvd today.

The driver was looking right at me and kept coming over.

I don't know where he went from there.
An epidemic for sure on Friday!

I need to get on my soapbox a minute.

Traffic was light considering the time I left and I was riding to work! :D There are few spots on the interstate where it will slow as people merge on the highway. We all know the kind of spot, where they have to get all the way in the left lane no matter who is in THEIR way. But that was the real problem. When traffic was slow a guy in a small SUV starts coming in my lane while he's on the phone. I could see him in his outside mirror so I knew he could see me (if he looked). I hit the horn and started to avoid him. He looks and waves like "go away" and keeps coming! Same thing happened again just down the road only with a woman, again on her phone!

Now I can understand if you make a mistake and then when you see the other vehicle (be it a bike, car or truck) you go back in your lane or at least stop coming over. Then you give that little wave with that "sorry I was stupic" look we all know how to make. But to keep coming over when you now know another vehicle is there is just beyond stupid!

And that's exactly why when I rode a solo for the PD I'd sit on the shoulder of the interstate in rush hour traffic near a disable car and write tickets for people driving down the shoulder. :twisted: You wouldn't believe the number of people who would pull back into traffic and then get back on the shoulder when they passed the broke down car!

I'll get down now.

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
anybody ever fulfill the dream of actually kicking the side of a car that was acting like some of these idiots? one of these days...

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I actually asked a dufus if he wanted to switch vehicles once and let me run over HIM while on a bike. He just put his head down and slowed down to the point I never saw him again!
Cagers just don't get it!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
mightydog said:
anybody ever fulfill the dream of actually kicking the side of a car that was acting like some of these idiots? one of these days...
Yep! I did. Kicked a white Ford Explorer. Woman talking on her cellphone, 'easing' over into my lane. Waved at her, hit the horn, nothing! Hauled off and kicked her door. Got her attention and POd her. Didn't matter to me. Kept her from crunching me up. :D

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've heard it advocated that carrying a stick or other short item for rapping on lane hugger's doors. I threatened with my left foot one time (another close call) after several Stebel blasts and that was enough.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ya know this is the first weekend i've ridden where i didn't have any problems. Of course, 80% of the traffic on the road were on 2 wheels!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I was thinking like mightydog....................... 6 inches away is close enough to kick and if it means them not hitting me, you better believe my boot's going into their car if not my fist. 8)

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
i was just talking to fordfan the other day and he said some sumbitch got close enough to him -- AT HIWAY SPEED -- for him to reach out and slap the hood of the car to get the guy's attention! :shock: sheesh! that deserved a boot thru the windshield!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
mightydog said:
I've seriously considered that many times but have yet to actually fulfill the fantasy because 1. I might kick it hard enough that I might just fall down 2. around here you might get shot (Jacksonville - the Murder Capital of Florida!). Even so one day I might just lose it anyway and plant a size 12 on a door if the Stebel is'nt sufficient and there is no other way to get their attention and I am in danger of being road pizza.

Cheers!

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
Bebop said:
mightydog said:
I've seriously considered that many times but have yet to actually fulfill the fantasy because 1. I might kick it hard enough that I might just fall down
that's my thought exactly! :lol:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Beware of the blue hairs!
I travel for work daily. Today's ride was almost 400 miles. Rode through heavy rain for two hours, worked several more with wet boots, so I was probably not at my sharpest. Driving in far left lane of a 6 lane throughfare about 75 miles from home. See a boat, (very large car) pull out of a shopping center on the right. Saw her, but didn't percieve it as a threat. Well, you probalby guessed it, the lady driving it decided to come across all 3 lanes!!! Gave her the stebel and she still kept coming. Luckily, I had my preplanned escape route down the shoulder, which was sharply slanted to the ditch, but better than getting crunched. Don't think she missed my right knee by 2 inches! By time I got out of the shoulder/ditch, she was a block ahead. Yes, I was pissed, but what are you going to do? She was an old lady. I repeat, beware of blue hairs.
Ride safe everybody,
Loo Two
P.S. ppasel, THANK YOU for each and everyone of those tickets you wrote. That is one of my pet peeves. Atta Boy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts