Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

To those who removed the entire assembly: How did you get to the bolts on the front jug? Did you have to remove the radiator and/or gas tank?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
993 Posts
Did not have to remove the gas tank or radiator. I loosened the bolts to the radiator and removed the horn put a soft handled screw driver between the radiator and frame. Was enough room then to get to the front tube. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
On the other hand, some of us have larger hands. I had to pull the top hose off the radiator and pull the radiator forward. I lost a little coolant. Be sure you don't let pets get at that spillage -- it'll kill them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I loosened the radiator and would stick my left hand inbetween the radiator and frame to apply pressure to keep the wrench on the bolt with my fingers. I used my right hand to work the wrench and was able to slowly, painfully, get about a 16th of a turn 85 million times to get it off. It - along with adjusting the valves - was the biggest pain to get to. I wish I had thought of the soft handed screwdriver between the radiator and frame - DUH! Doing the valves soon and I am so happy that the all the pair crap is gone!!! :D

EDIT: I didn't remove the horn assembly, I only disconnected it and loosened it and pushed it out of the way so that I didn't have to fight the bracket/bolt for reinstall... I am happy I did that.

I was alone at home and at one time I actually got my right hand STUCK :shock: between the frame and front jug for about 3 minutes. I really could not get my hand out and was thinking to myself... how STUPID will I look having to destroy my bike to get my hand out. I managed to wet my hand and it slipped out... still have the marks from the small cuts on my hands as I type... be careful not to do the same. Small hands, I have them... but, they just weren't small enough. Should have waited for my 9 yr. old daughter to help.

Good luck!
NJ10

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
8 year old daughter had tiny little hands that could turn the screw once I loosened it. :wink:

Jim

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the good tips :!: I'm just curious about the soft handled screwdriver... is it the "weapon of choice" because it prevents scratching something or just a better grip?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i removed the horn and tossed it. it is pathetic sounding. if i really need to get attention, i figure i can scream real friggin loud. lots of room to remove bolts without horn in way

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just installed my second Mocc's kit on a friends bike. This time he brought a driver with about a 4-5 inch flex drive attached to an 8mm socket... what a difference. Put the flex in between the loosened radiator and the frame and put the flex on the bolts... no more 85 million 1/645000ths of an inch turns!. You just have to break them loose with the wrench. On re-assembly, just start the new bolts from Mocc's kit and use the flex to snug them.

A side note... what in the world is Suzuki thinking with that huge 12mm bolt holding the horn bracket. Mine was easy to break, but on my buddies - I had to use a cheater bar! Man was it tight.

Get a flex drive... I've done it both ways and its worth it.

NJ10

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
njohnson10 said:
I just installed my second Mocc's kit on a friends bike. This time he brought a driver with about a 4-5 inch flex drive attached to an 8mm socket... what a difference. Put the flex in between the loosened radiator and the frame and put the flex on the bolts... no more 85 million 1/645000ths of an inch turns!. You just have to break them loose with the wrench. On re-assembly, just start the new bolts from Mocc's kit and use the flex to snug them.

A side note... what in the world is Suzuki thinking with that huge 12mm bolt holding the horn bracket. Mine was easy to break, but on my buddies - I had to use a cheater bar! Man was it tight.

Get a flex drive... I've done it both ways and its worth it.

NJ10
Will have to get myself a flex drive...thanks for the tip :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
...Ummm...isnt 5/16 close to 8 mm?? I loosened the lower radiator bolts and took out the upper . Been a while since I have done it .. I believe the MC crash bar got in the way a bit too. .. The bolts that come with mocs kit are nice , I reused the chrome ones that were on the pair pipes , personal preference. .. So perhaps you can break the bolts free using an 8mm wrench and then you might have the flex drives , universal joints , small hands , whatever in 5/16 for your disposal ..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts