Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has done it? Did you mask the area and paint them on the bike or take them off completely? Taking them off is the best way of course, but that means fluids/grease to deal with, plus debris can get inside where it could potentially be an issue. I'm thinking masking the area will be fine.

Looking at doing either flat/matte or semi-gloss black. VHT header paint or similar. On the left side there is a large chromed piece of plastic for a cover, not sure what I can do about that since the header paint needs to be cured by running the bike, but that cover will never get hot, plus it is plastic... I will probably have to use a different paint for it, which means different finish basically. There also seems to be a chromed metal cover on the right side that is just there to complete the look, it also does not get hot enough to cure the header paint either.

What about the covers on top of the cylinders? Guessing the tank will have to come off to get to them (yay)? And the pipes will have to be taken off for the right side covers (yay again) it looks like.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey man, Yeah I painted my engine covers and exhaust. I removed them from the bike.

The only hard part for me was the cover over the magneto and shifter on the left side. I put it back together and the shifter didn't move haha. With both right and left covers off I could see that I had the shifter shaft in the wrong place, easy fix. There was a good bit of disassembly, but I was installing lowering dog bones at the same time.

I roughed all of the covers up with sandpaper and degreased them, hit them with a coat of primer and a few coats of Rustoleum Hammered paint, all rattle can. I like the look.

The nice thing about removing them is that you don't have to worry about overspray, and also the chrome bolt heads and chrome magneto cover set off the dark color well. I recommend draining the oil first, I made a mess :wayhappy:

I painted the pipes with high temp black spray paint, I removed them as well. I think it's cool but my wife likes more chrome haha.

Good luck man! Custom is cool :shades:

Reactions: garrim

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Love the idea. I'd do it if I didn't like chrome so much.
Bike looks sharp, Idso.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.