Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm riding an '08 C50 and I'm a 6'2" guy. Last season (my first season), I noticed that after awhile, I'd get a searing pain between my shoulder blades. Over the winter, I figured that getting a backrest and highway bars/pegs might help. However, I took it out for a spin a few days ago, and the pain came back same as before.

Does anyone know why this keeps happening?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
You might need to add handlebar risers. You may be reaching for the handgrips and may not realize it until the pain. I added 2" spacers under the stock riser and it helped quite bit. That rise also angles the handlebar slightly toward you so your elbow is more bent. Better position to ride and cruise then reaching. That rise will also most likely push you against the backrest which straightens your back.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Risers?

I've heard those mentioned before. How/where are they installed? Is there any rewiring required?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The 2" ones just bolt in between your stock bar risers, no wiring or cable issues....folks have gone as far as 4" risers with no real issues. If you're 6' or taller you're probably better off getting risers that add inches not only up but back as well. I have the spacers and it is better, but still find i'm stretching to reach the bars with them set at the height I want them at to keep my lower back happy.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Search on ebay.
I added the 2" cylinder looking ones. They were only ~20 bucks shipped.

Others get fancier, chrome, add height and will place the bars back a bit. Cost goes up. If you move the bars too far you'll need to look into cables and whatnot but the 2 inchers are fine.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Jim's Spacers
2" risers are about the max extra rise on an 08. Like mine, you will probably need or want to rereoute the throttles cables behind the tree, which for me was easiest to do by removing them from the throttle. (others have removed the whole top of the tree but that seems excessive to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
To see where your bar and hand grips ought to be, sit on your upright bike in a comfortable position and close your eyes. Reach out to the handlebar grips with your eyes closed. If your hands didn't fall onto the grips so you can completely operate the clutch, brake and throttle you need to make a bar adjustment... and or a seat adjustment....

A small rotation up or down might do it but riser spacers or pull back risers might be necessary.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Search on ebay.
I added the 2" cylinder looking ones. They were only ~20 bucks shipped.

Others get fancier, chrome, add height and will place the bars back a bit. Cost goes up. If you move the bars too far you'll need to look into cables and whatnot but the 2 inchers are fine.
+1. Best $20 you will ever spend on a motorcycle. I am also 6'2". Added an Ultimate seat with backrest last year and it helped. Added the 2" risers to an 07 over the winter and the pain between the shoulders is gone. You will need to gain some slack in the throttle cables by routing them behind the triple tree. I removed them from the throttle tube.

Good hunting

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you!

Ok; well now at least I have some direction and I know my options! Thank you for tolerating my n00b-ness!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
You might need to add handlebar risers. You may be reaching for the handgrips and may not realize it until the pain. I added 2" spacers under the stock riser and it helped quite bit. That rise also angles the handlebar slightly toward you so your elbow is more bent. Better position to ride and cruise then reaching. That rise will also most likely push you against the backrest which straightens your back.

That's what I was thinking.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was having the same pains when I first got my bike as well. I installed 4" pullback risers I got on ebay, and no more shoulder pain..made a huge difference in riding comfort. No extra cabling or wiring was needed.

·
Registered
20,218 Posts
+1 scuba
I was the same and added the barrons 2" risers with the 1 & 1/2 " pull back and pain was gone. I'm only 5'7".

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Jim's Spacers
2" risers are about the max extra rise on an 08. Like mine, you will probably need or want to rereoute the throttles cables behind the tree, which for me was easiest to do by removing them from the throttle. (others have removed the whole top of the tree but that seems excessive to me.
X10

I'm 6'3" and had the same pain on long rides. Jim's 2" spacers,,,I think, brings the bar in closer to your chest.

Tip-When working on the handlebars find a helper. You can get them out of line, too high/low and off centered. With all that going on you'll want someone to steady them before you tighten the BRAND NEW bolts.
You'll see why.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm 5' 9" - 180lb, with a 32" shirt sleeve. I use a 2" riser with about 1/2" pullback. I also have bursitis, so. . . any relief to shoulder pain is paramount in my ride. This set up works for me, and if you are of similar build it should for you. I also have a short shield, 29" that helps with the wind. Just enough so I know I'm still riding, mind you. . .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts