Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What other bike would you be interested in or look for it to have? No wrong answers.

·
Super Moderator
29,490 Posts
I just bought a Vulcan Voyager, and I love it.

·
Registered
20,365 Posts
I've had my CTX for 7 years now. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I had a 1700 Nomad briefly. Wife liked it, but not as much fun as the Vol. Always wanted a Road King, but I think they're a lot like the Nomad. Maybe an older model before they got so heavy.

Of all the bikes I've test drove, I liked the Aprilia Caponord Rally the best. A very different bike from all the cruisers. A real blast to ride and drop dead Italian sexy. I tested it on a lark and was surprised how much I really liked it. Parts and accessories will be few and far between.

Tried out the CTX 1300 a few years ago and liked it too. It's still on the short list. Rear tires can be a problem. They don't last very long from what I have read.

I rode a first Generation C90 last year and really liked it. Kind of in the middle between the Volusia and the Nomad without all the weight of the Nomad. The second Gen are much heavier.

I would like to try out a Dyna and a Softail just to compare.

I mention all these bikes because there's no perfect do everything bike. I want them all because, well, I'm moody and wishy-washy.
Important thing is that you ride what you like.

Edit: Indian Springfield or Chief Vintage would be nice too.

Reactions: JFN1978

·
Registered
20,365 Posts
Tried out the CTX 1300 a few years ago and liked it too. It's still on the short list. Rear tires can be a problem. They don't last very long from what I have read.

Edit: Indian Springfield or Chief Vintage would be nice too.
I know what you mean. The Bridgestone and Dunlop tires I ran when I first got the bike only lasted 5000 and 6000 miles respectively.

The Metzler ME880 lasted about 10k miles on my CTX. I put a Michelin Commander 3 on a year ago this March and with nearly 6000 miles on the tire it is still less than half worn.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I know what you mean. The Bridgestone and Dunlop tires I ran when I first got the bike only lasted 5000 and 6000 miles respectively.

The Metzler ME880 lasted about 10k miles on my CTX. I put a Michelin Commander 3 on a year ago this March and with nearly 6000 miles on the tire it is still less than half worn.
I'm gonna be in, or already am in a search for a touring bike for me and the wife. Have been looking at a CTX for sale in my area. Would really appreciate some first hand knowledge. Have you traveled with two up? How comfortable is it for the passenger? How does it handle the extra weight.....ect. ?

·
Registered
20,365 Posts
The CTX is arguably the best motorcycle I have ever owned, period. My wife and I ride 2 up all the time, including a lot of interstate travel. The bike just hums along at 80mph and still delivers better than 40mpg. The ride is so comfortable that my wife often falls asleep. I added an Alaska Leather butt pad on both mine and the passenger seat, but we are still riding on the OEM saddle.

Reactions: Jmbrad

·
Super Moderator
29,490 Posts
I also own a KTM Duke 390. It's a small, single-cylinder thumper. It sucks if you want to cover any miles, but it is fun as all heck in the city and on twisties. Dirt cheap too, coming in at about $5k out of the crate.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
The CTX is arguably the best motorcycle I have ever owned, period. My wife and I ride 2 up all the time, including a lot of interstate travel. The bike just hums along at 80mph and still delivers better than 40mpg. The ride is so comfortable that my wife often falls asleep. I added an Alaska Leather butt pad on both mine and the passenger seat, but we are still riding on the OEM saddle.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
92 Posts
For my Sunday rider i'm saving for a Crossbones...But still love my Volusia.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I still love my Boulevard. I wasn’t very gentle on myself growing up and age is starting to take its toll. I’ve been considering a Spyder for a few years now and think that day is getting closer than I care to admit. My knees aren’t what they used to be and I’m careful when parking my Boulevard to minimize having to back it up but there are still times where I have to and I find that chore getting a little worse as time goes on. I’m also getting to the point of being concerned when riding 2 up and having to stop and keep the bike upright….
A Spyder addresses those concerns for me and also my 2 pet peeves with my Boulevard. 1, no cruise control. Yes I have a throttle lock but that mediocre at best. 2, I always ride with a full face helmet and with the speedometer on the gas tank I can’t do a quick eye glance down to check my speed, it’s a full head movement and if there’s a lot of traffic around I’d rather not have to look away for that long.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I bought a Yamaha MT-09 this year. It's a fun, lightweight, and powerful bike.

Reactions: Jmbrad

·
Registered
22 Posts
What other bike would you be interested in or look for it to have? No wrong answers.
I've been looking at the Kawi Voyager. I think that is a beautiful scooter. ALSO the Road King. I think that is a beautiful scooter too but I believe the Voyager is a better choice. But until my coin jar fills up a bit more I'll just have to Lust at a distance.

·
Super Moderator
29,490 Posts
I've been looking at the Kawi Voyager. I think that is a beautiful scooter. ALSO the Road King. I think that is a beautiful scooter too but I believe the Voyager is a better choice. But until my coin jar fills up a bit more I'll just have to Lust at a distance.
I bought a Voyager in May. I absolutely love it. Did a back to back test ride with it and a RK when shopping. The RK was nicer, I'll admit it, but it wasn't $10k nicer, not to mention that the insurance is half the cost on the Voyager.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a Voyager in May. I absolutely love it. Did a back to back test ride with it and a RK when shopping. The RK was nicer, I'll admit it, but it wasn't $10k nicer, not to mention that the insurance is half the cost on the Voyager.
There you go. That's kinda where I keep going to. Insurance AND an extra $10K. My money tree died in the last freeze.
Thanks for the input, Whiskey.

·
Super Moderator
29,490 Posts
There you go. That's kinda where I keep going to. Insurance AND an extra $10K. My money tree died in the last freeze.
Thanks for the input, Whiskey.
Yeah, if money we no object, I'd have the RK in my garage right now, but my wife and kids are inconsiderate and keep insisting on eating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts