Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm retired, and blessed to live in Southern Oregon on the warm side of the Cascades, mild winters, vineyards, orchards, river valleys and mountains. I've ridden a variety of bikes over the years, Honda 350 4, Yamaha Virago 1100, Suzuki LC1500, Suz Marauder, Vstrom 650 gen 1, Vstrom 650 gen 2, Vstrom 1000 gen 1, Vstrom 1000 gen 2, Yamaha 1300 Tourer, TW200 (several) a Suzuki Burgman 650 mistake... oh well,, (just sold) and wanting to go back to a cruiser, but mid sized, not gigantic and heavy, retired and old, remember... and my wife and I would spend weeks touring on the old LC1500, she's not interested in that anymore.
I keep looking at C50s on craigslist, scanning local and fly and ride opportunities. I've had great luck with all the Suzukis I've owned, and the C50 or older carbureted Volusia seems a good choice for day rides and weekend trips out alone. My current 2014 Vstrom 1000 is configured as my main touring bike, luggage, Day Long saddle, etc.
I'll be scanning the maintenance section, I'm more into easy maintenance, brake fluid, oil and filter, I pull my wheels and let someone else mount and balance new tires, than tearing into motors. The only thing I see so far is clutch replacements, hopefully that's not common at reasonable mileage.
Thanks in advance for all the info on this site, I usually go to the forum for a bike while making a decision on a new purchase.
Byron.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
don't think you will go wrong with a c50 or volusia...should be able to find a low mileage for a really good price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm seeing some nice examples out there, and willing to travel a bit for the right deal. I found my Vstrom in Reno, wife and I drove over for the weekend and I rode it home. Fun for everyone, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
30,071 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

·
Registered
149 Posts
For easy cruising and casual touring you will find the C50 tough to beat. Mine would rather stay off of Interstates, but it'll suffice even there, and on two-lanes it is right at home.

·
Premium Member
3,875 Posts
Welcome from Florida :)
I bought a C50 from a member of the VR & would do it again if I were looking.

·
Registered
20,566 Posts
Stick with the Strom. The C50 has a harsh suspension, weak brakes and an uninspired engine. Coming from what you have now, it will be a disappointment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't be getting rid of the DL1000, but I've always liked having two bikes in the garage. Always a vstrom, along with something different, for variety, a cruiser,TW200, Burgman, etc.
I did 11 days in June to Sedona and back on the Strom, Utah freeways post 80 mph, factor in 10 over :LOL: , a cruiser is for taking wifey out for ice cream or overnights to the coast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts