Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking about making my own lightbar and saw these lights on ebay. They caught my attention because the shape almost matches the stock headlight and they are pretty cheap. The question is, how well will a 5w bulb actually illuminate? I have an HID kit on my headlight so I think it lights up the road pretty well already. I really just like the look of a lightbar and the extra visibility for daytime riding. Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions!

Pete

Custom Chrome Passing Fog Headlight for Suzuki Boulevard C109R C50 C90 | eBay

·
Registered
382 Posts
Those lights use 5 watt halogen bulbs, which are about 60 lumens each. A pair of them would put out about 120 lumens.

Typical C50 driving lights use 35 watt halogen bulbs, which are about 500 lumens each.

The stock C50 headlight is a 50 or 55 watt halogen bulb, about 750 - 950 lumens depending on the manufacturer.

The xenon headlight ("HID") is rated between 3000 and 3200 lumens.

My opinion is that those 5 watt lights you are considering would be for appearance only. The light they put out would hardly be noticed next to a stock headlight. Their light output is absolutely insignificant in comparison to your xenon bulb. With such low output, I don't think they would make very much difference in your daytime visibility.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
They're garbage. The chrome is super thin and it pits and rusts very quickly. The bulbs are really no brighter than a night-light, so their actual value for making you more visible is minimal. Get some real lights and be done with it. Stay away from Flea-Bay specials.

·
Registered
99 Posts
They're garbage. The chrome is super thin and it pits and rusts very quickly. The bulbs are really no brighter than a night-light, so their actual value for making you more visible is minimal. Get some real lights and be done with it. Stay away from Flea-Bay specials.
HA !! "FLEA-BAY SPECIALS"
Never heard it put that way before but SOOOOO TRUE !
Purchased a "back-off" module from this seller (psyco-moto) and it was a FLEA-BAY SPECIAL. If it is Wednesday, clear skies, an odd numbered day on the calendar and the wind is out of the west....it may work (or may not).

Run away from Flea-Bay ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
i am using similar lights. they are plastic housings and use only a push in bulb. i swapped out the 5 watts bulb and replaced it with silverstar bulbs. ( 13 watt i believe) they have minimal light output but do help you to be seen. Cheap, yes but the ones i have included the visor made right on the light and gave my machine a better look,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts