Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
20,810 Posts
Thanks for the insight. The Boulevard low HP has me wondering if I need to forget taking it on that long of a trip. As for I-40.... It's a killer interstate. The folks around the Asheville and Knoxville area don't know how to drive respectively. They sure as hell don't give a damn about anyone on a bike. Lost a bike and darn near lost my life On I-40 just outside Knoxville last year.
The word I would use to describe the C50 is adequate. It isn't the fastest, it isn't the most powerful, it isn't the most comfortable, but it gets the job done. I was perfectly happy with mine, right up until I rode a BIGGER bike. Then the deficiencies became more than I was willing to live with.

Reactions: tahoe and Whiskey

·
Premium Member
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
100 Posts
Hey all! I'm considering a LONG ride from East coast to Mid west (1,500 miles one way) for this coming summer. Thinking about using my well maintained and serviced 2005 C50. Good Idea? Bad Idea? Let me know what you think.
i would love to do something like this,,, its why I got the bike lol,, but DC is correct,, avoid freeways,, our bike are NOT freeway friendly,,, they really dont like going over 70ish. but i do go to Bartlesville and back to Norman all the time on mine,,, bout a 6hr rnd trip,, and when i hit the turn pike and try to keep up with traffic, she whines like a little girl lol..

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Installing a C90 drive on the Volusia/C50 bikes will make the trip much more enjoyable.
Lower RPM, less vibration, & less oil consumption.
C90 drives have a gear ratio of 3:02-1 versus 363:-1 on the stock Volusia/C50 drives.....almost like having a 6th gear.
what,, what,, is the C90 drive a direct blot on or do you have to do a "DJ Hill" mod to the shaft???

·
Registered
20,810 Posts
what,, what,, is the C90 drive a direct blot on or do you have to do a "DJ Hill" mod to the shaft???
The C90 drive requires a shortened drive shaft, or a shortened transmission coupler. If you try to install the unmodified drive, it will bind up and ruin your transmission.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
The C90 drive requires a shortened drive shaft, or a shortened transmission coupler. If you try to install the unmodified drive, it will bind up and ruin your transmission.
is what i thought,,, you would have to do a "DJ Hill" mod to the shaft,,, better know a GOOD machinist,,, lol

·
Administrator
56,009 Posts
You may be able to buy an already modified drive from someone on this forum.
VR member Motiv prepares drives for bolt on installations.

·
Super Moderator
31,350 Posts
I was perfectly happy with mine, right up until I rode a BIGGER bike. Then the deficiencies became more than I was willing to live with.
So much, this. I rode my C50 for years and thought it was great, then we went to an Indian dealership and test rode a Chieftain. The dealership was in Birmingham, and on that ride back to Atlanta, I realized just how small and underpowered my C50 was.

Reactions: tahoe

·
Super Moderator
24,365 Posts
had my 04 volusia from 04-10...was my first experience at riding a mc...did lots of riding... 87k... in the years I owned it and found it did the job for my needs. While most of my riding was country backroad cruising...45-60 mph, I did take many travels that required the need to ride the highways. Yes. like stated above,,,it whined like a little girl but in the end served my needs well and gave me a good reference point in what I needed to address when the time came to replace it.. because of the lack of any major problems with the Volusia, I stayed with the Suzuki family and upgraded to a C90. , been pleased with it.

·
Registered
2005 Boulevard C50
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I made it.
I'm crafty.
I could probably whip one up for you if you wanted one.
Good job. Thank for the offer. However, If push comes to shove I guess I can weld up something. It's just that I'm often too lazy to do such.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
What's your concern regarding the freeways? Although the secondary roads and experience the "locals" is appealing.
It just get's a bit "buzzy." Hand-numbingly so.
good idea on notifying the cc companies...have had that experience happen where my using a card while traveling triggered an alert and the card was unable to be used...done for my protection but also created unnecessary concern at the time why the card was being declined. In todays times where cc fraud is as common as DunkinDonut Stores, good idea to let them know.
I notified them. Then stopped for gas halfway to Green Bay (the last of many stops for gas of the day). At the same exact pump I had been at 1 year prior. At about the same time of day. I made the same phone call that my card didn't work in the pump. I told them I'd notified them prior to the trip (based on the experience 1 year prior at the same location).

"Oh yes, I see it right here. It gets disabled automatically though. It should work now. Is there anything else I can help you with?" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I notified them. Then stopped for gas halfway to Green Bay (the last of many stops for gas of the day). At the same exact pump I had been at 1 year prior. At about the same time of day. I made the same phone call that my card didn't work in the pump. I told them I'd notified them prior to the trip (based on the experience 1 year prior at the same location).

"Oh yes, I see it right here. It gets disabled automatically though. It should work now. Is there anything else I can help you with?" :rolleyes:
It's not usually your Credit Card provider that puts the hold on after you notify them of travel.
I called my provider once after getting cut-off again and angrily asked why they didn't honor my travel notice. They said it wasn't them...
It's the individual gas station companies that do the dirty deed. The hold comes on after the second stop, like clockwork.

I try to mix up the brands I buy from on long trips to avoid getting "triggered" along the way. It's tough when I'm riding the interstates around here, though. For example, In Pennsylvania and Ohio, deals are made as to which gas companies are at the rest areas along the way. Every station along the way is a Sunoco. I will invariably get cut off before I get from one side to the other.

I've noticed that on the next day, all holds are removed and the Sunoco's will accept my card again.
I think, but I'm not sure, that the holds may go away after crossing into the next state, too.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I've had problems on long trips when filling up two bikes. At least once on the trip, one of us would get denied.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
while today is becoming a cashless society, good reason to always have a $20 bill stashed somewhere on the mc.
I do keep a 20 in my tool box. Won't get you far these days, but it'll get you somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
24,365 Posts
was getting gas the other day at a station I usually don't go to...noticed their premium was only 40 cents more than regular...usually I have noticed premium runs about 70-80 cents more per gallon at most stations...kinda odd.

·
Super Moderator
24,365 Posts
my ususal station right now is $3.39 for reg...$4.09 premium...just came down a dime...can find gas here as low as $3.19...heading to NC in a few weeks to visit my daughter and will be interesting to see what I find the pricing will be as I pass thru NY..NJ,,Pa,,WV..VA,,, and NC.

·
Super Moderator
24,365 Posts
when I went to San diego back in Nov, I noticed the pricing there is running about $1 more a gallon...I know our taxes on the gas are thru the roof...wonder why the pricing on the west coast is so high?

41 - 60 of 72 Posts