Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

Registered
Killer idea!!!! THANKS!!

IF you decide to purchase, modify and install a C90 drive, you have to keep in mind that while the taller gear ratio lowers the engine RPM at a given speed, it WILL cost you power at the throttle. When my wife and I were in the Smoky Mountains on I40, I could not ride up the mountain, on the interstate, two up with a week's worth of luggage and keep the bike in 5th gear. There is simply not enough power available to push that much load, at that speed. I had to stay in the right lane with the trucks, with my flashers on in 4th gear. It was NOT a pleasant experience.

The C50 CAN be pressed into light duty touring. We've all done it. But with only 44hp on tap, it struggles at times, especially on the interstates. Yes, it will do 80 mph and keep up with traffic. But if you have to pass, it is a practice of down shifting, wringing the throttle to max RPM and praying the car coming up from behind doesn't flatten you before you get out of the way.

Reactions: ByronW

Super Moderator
good idea on notifying the cc companies...have had that experience happen where my using a card while traveling triggered an alert and the card was unable to be used...done for my protection but also created unnecessary concern at the time why the card was being declined. In todays times where cc fraud is as common as DunkinDonut Stores, good idea to let them know.

Super Moderator
and for an added item to pack on a long journey...Seafoam...you may pick up a bad tank of gas along your journeys...feel the ride acting funny after picking some up... adding 3-4 ounces in the tank may be the aspirin for it.

Registered
Everything everyone said so far.
I like the snappier bottom end than the C90 final drive, but the majority of my driving is hilly New England terrain and not always super slab.
75-80 was it.
I've done the lower 48 now and we averaged 700-1000 a day. It isn't for everyone.
Not to play the age card but you said somewhere you're too old to be riding without a windshield, so set a realistic expectation of 4-500. You also said you did the ride to the Keys so you know what you're getting into. Ride your ride. Stay hydrated. Break early and often.

My first trip I had a reserve 1/3 gallon. It was not enough. (One of the REI fuel safe cans that looks like a thermos)
I also packed both saddle bags full and tied a backpack to the back seat.

My last trip I learned how to pack better and I dedicated one saddle bag to maintenance.
1 gallon gas can, rags, brake cleaner, 2 qts oil, funnel. A NEW CLUTCH CABLE.

I've broken 2 OEM clutch cables and one homemade one. Now, I also ride hard and I did the EBC clutch pack and springs. It's my opinion the springs are too strong for the cable. If I had to do a clutch again I'd use two EBC springs and two soft OEM springs, or four OEM.

Now, let me tell you about a great tip I picked up that I have yet to reveal to the group...
Racheting tie down strap.
I hooked my backpack straps to the rear backrest, put a blanket over my backpack, and used a racheting tie down over it between the chrome trim things on the side.
THE EASIEST LOAD AND UNLOAD EVER!

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Sky

Reactions: ByronW and tahoe

Registered
The Key West run is wonderful. Have done it twice on my Burgman. We always stayed far away from the Miami area.
I was in Key West just long enough to take a pic of the bike at the buoy (I hate crowds and tourist traps); as soon as I took the pic, I rode back up the highway and spent the night at Key Largo...Got up the next morning and road back up to Gainesville area...I did ride alligator alley (US41) over to Naples coming back...nothing special about AA, long straight boring road with tall grass (same view as I-75 through the area)

Registered
2005 Boulevard C50
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What he said.
I make an appx. 3500 mile trip once every year on my '09 C50...Usually exceeding 500 miles per day, and sometimes over 600.
I've found my oil consumption goes up on the harder riding trips, so I keep a much closer eye on the oil levels. I always carry spare oil anyway, and I always end up using it up and stopping at a WallyWorld or an auto center along to way so there's always a full spare container in the saddlebag.

Is the bike up to it? I have had zero problems keeping with the 80MPH speed limits where I found them, even fully loaded...Granted that was on the plains where hills ain't really a thing, but where hills are a big thing, you're not likely to run across unusually high speed limits anyway.
I made the same trip for years before on a 600CC Shadow, also with no problems. (And it had the same higher oil consumption, too)
People have made far longer trips with much smaller bikes.

So besides the oil thing...My practice:
Credit Card, of course. Two, if you have two different credit card accounts, because...
If one card is suspended, you'll still have a spare to use while things get sorted out.

It's a very good practice to notify your credit card provider(s) where and when your are traveling before you leave.
A lot of small purchases spread across a large area, the same type of activity that a motorcyclist would make when traveling across country, will set off their potential fraud alarms, so they my cut off your card until they can contact you (or you contact them) to sort things out...a real PITA while on the road, especially if cell service is lacking.
NOTE: Some fueling stations (Sunoco and BP come to mind) will stop accepting your card at the pump on their own as soon as you rack up as little two gas top-offs per day. The hold usually goes away the next day. You can still usually still go into the station to present your card when this happens. Usually.
Carry two cards in case of...... Great idea!! THANKS!

Registered
2005 Boulevard C50
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I was in Key West just long enough to take a pic of the bike at the buoy (I hate crowds and tourist traps); as soon as I took the pic, I rode back up the highway and spent the night at Key Largo...Got up the next morning and road back up to Gainesville area...I did ride alligator alley (US41) over to Naples coming back...nothing special about AA, long straight boring road with tall grass (same view as I-75 through the area)
Key West is a blast. Our last trip down was during the main part of Plandemic. Curfews and bar closings everywhere. BUT.... got with the locals and found all the open hot spots. Almost no traffic or crowds anywhere. That in itself made the entire trip WONDERFUL!! Tooled around on our bikes in T-shirts, flop-flops, and no helmet. Yeah, I know..... DANGEROUS!!!!

Registered
2005 Boulevard C50
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Everything everyone said so far.
I like the snappier bottom end than the C90 final drive, but the majority of my driving is hilly New England terrain and not always super slab.
75-80 was it.
I've done the lower 48 now and we averaged 700-1000 a day. It isn't for everyone.
Not to play the age card but you said somewhere you're too old to be riding without a windshield, so set a realistic expectation of 4-500. You also said you did the ride to the Keys so you know what you're getting into. Ride your ride. Stay hydrated. Break early and often.

My first trip I had a reserve 1/3 gallon. It was not enough. (One of the REI fuel safe cans that looks like a thermos)
I also packed both saddle bags full and tied a backpack to the back seat.

My last trip I learned how to pack better and I dedicated one saddle bag to maintenance.
1 gallon gas can, rags, brake cleaner, 2 qts oil, funnel. A NEW CLUTCH CABLE.

I've broken 2 OEM clutch cables and one homemade one. Now, I also ride hard and I did the EBC clutch pack and springs. It's my opinion the springs are too strong for the cable. If I had to do a clutch again I'd use two EBC springs and two soft OEM springs, or four OEM.

Now, let me tell you about a great tip I picked up that I have yet to reveal to the group...
Racheting tie down strap.
I hooked my backpack straps to the rear backrest, put a blanket over my backpack, and used a racheting tie down over it between the chrome trim things on the side.
THE EASIEST LOAD AND UNLOAD EVER!

View attachment 148549
View attachment 148550
Where did you find the light bar for your bike. Everything I find on Amazon, eBay, etc.... states NOT for a 2005 C50.

Registered
Something else I forgot to mention. A spare ignition key. On a short trip to California's Lost Coast years ago we came out of a cafe after breakfast, and I couldn't find my key. I was wearing one of those Marlin Brando Biker jackets with pockets everywhere, and somehow put the key in a pocket I never used for anything. I found the key but told myself then, if I leave town, one of these goes into my wallet before I go.

Luggage and bags Musical instrument accessory Bag Gas Font

The C90 I recently bought came with only one key. On my first ride after getting it home, I stopped by a locksmith and had two keys made, one for the wallet when out of town, one for backup.

For tiedowns, I finally spent more $$ than a walmart bungee cord a few years ago and picked up some of these,
they are awesome, nothing to scratch your bike, adjustable, and they hold anything and everything.

Font Motor vehicle Screenshot Automotive exterior Advertising

Registered
Hi!

I have a 2006 C50, and I live in a small country. The most miles I have traveled there are 563 miles, from the tiny town where I live to the country's capital, and back. Speed limits on national highways are 50 to 60 miles. In cities and towns it drops 25 to 35 miles. I have done it many times, but never the same as what you plan to do.

What I can tell you is that I ride alongside my friends who have motorcycles with 79in鲁 to 109in鲁 engines, the difference is that I use less gasoline than they do, perhaps because most are carbureted motorcycles and the 2006 C50 is with injection.

But what I can tell you is that the ride is relatively comfortable, and it has never failed me. I think that's due to maintenance

Registered
Hey all! I'm considering a LONG ride from East coast to Mid west (1,500 miles one way) for this coming summer. Thinking about using my well maintained and serviced 2005 C50. Good Idea? Bad Idea? Let me know what you think.

Bought my 2001 intruder a year ago September, and have put 23,000 miles on it... Keeps on purring...

Registered
Byron, good tip about the spare key!!
I forgot about that. When I鈥檓 on my trips with my brother in law we both carry 2 extra keys. One in our wallets and as an extra fail safe I have a key for my brother in law鈥檚 bike in the locked tool kit compartment on my bike and he has mine in the same place on his. We have never needed them but it鈥檚 good piece of mind knowing we have them.

Registered
Hey all! I'm considering a LONG ride from East coast to Mid west (1,500 miles one way) for this coming summer. Thinking about using my well maintained and serviced 2005 C50. Good Idea? Bad Idea? Let me know what you think.
I just did 4500 miles in 13 days in Sept 2021 on my 06 C-50. Started in Baltimore and went to Colorado Springs and back. Spent the weekend with guys I served with in Germany in the early 80's in the Air Force. Rode pretty much 400 mile per days with a mix of interstate and two Lanes. I was well pleased the bike. The seat did cause me soreness though.

Attachments

Registered
Change the oil & filter, air up the tires and enjoy the ride.

Registered
For tiedowns, I finally spent more $$ than a walmart bungee cord a few years ago and picked up some of these,
they are awesome, nothing to scratch your bike, adjustable, and they hold anything and everything.
You beat me to the punch. ROK straps are one of the best products I've purchased for touring.
Much better those evil bungee cords that are just waiting to snap and put your eyes out. :mad:

Registered
2005 Boulevard C50
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Something else I forgot to mention. A spare ignition key. On a short trip to California's Lost Coast years ago we came out of a cafe after breakfast, and I couldn't find my key. I was wearing one of those Marlin Brando Biker jackets with pockets everywhere, and somehow put the key in a pocket I never used for anything. I found the key but told myself then, if I leave town, one of these goes into my wallet before I go.

View attachment 148551

The C90 I recently bought came with only one key. On my first ride after getting it home, I stopped by a locksmith and had two keys made, one for the wallet when out of town, one for backup.

View attachment 148552
I can tell ya first hand..... those rok straps are WONDERFUL. I bought a couple set last year and used them on my Burgman for our East Coast run.

Registered
2005 Boulevard C50
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Bought my 2001 intruder a year ago September, and have put 23,000 miles on it... Keeps on purring...
Do you find it to be a bit more challenging to handle? My 2000 VL500 is a bit of a beast to handle. Where as one can, on most all other motorcycles, let go of the handle bars while cursing. There's no way that's possible with the 1500. Have been over the entire front end and just can't figure out the problem. Maybe that's the nature of the beast???????

Registered
2005 Boulevard C50
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
IF you decide to purchase, modify and install a C90 drive, you have to keep in mind that while the taller gear ratio lowers the engine RPM at a given speed, it WILL cost you power at the throttle. When my wife and I were in the Smoky Mountains on I40, I could not ride up the mountain, on the interstate, two up with a week's worth of luggage and keep the bike in 5th gear. There is simply not enough power available to push that much load, at that speed. I had to stay in the right lane with the trucks, with my flashers on in 4th gear. It was NOT a pleasant experience.

The C50 CAN be pressed into light duty touring. We've all done it. But with only 44hp on tap, it struggles at times, especially on the interstates. Yes, it will do 80 mph and keep up with traffic. But if you have to pass, it is a practice of down shifting, wringing the throttle to max RPM and praying the car coming up from behind doesn't flatten you before you get out of the way.
Thanks for the insight. The Boulevard low HP has me wondering if I need to forget taking it on that long of a trip. As for I-40.... It's a killer interstate. The folks around the Asheville and Knoxville area don't know how to drive respectively. They sure as hell don't give a damn about anyone on a bike. Lost a bike and darn near lost my life On I-40 just outside Knoxville last year.

Registered
Where did you find the light bar for your bike. Everything I find on Amazon, eBay, etc.... states NOT for a 2005 C50.
I made it.
I'm crafty.
I could probably whip one up for you if you wanted one.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts