Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki Intruder VL1500 LC
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys! I'm having an issue with my bike (2003 VL1500 LC) and I'm hoping that you may be able to help me out. I'm getting power when I turn on the key, the "N" and oil lights come up but nothing else on the dash. No fuel gauge, no odometer, nothing. Tail lights and turn signals work, but no turn signal indicator on the dash, just blinkers working. No horn, no start.

Recent changes:
I added 14" apes and I'm in the process of putting everything back together from that. I added 10" of wire for each circuit in the handlebars, one at a time with solder and shrink wrap. I tested each one after I pulled them through and they are all done right. I had it all running until I tried to install the throttle side control box with the kill switch in it. I killed it and then installed that box and the throttle. I did pinch the wires a little but I took it all back apart and have checked the continuity for each wire inside the control box all the way to the plug and they are all good. Also I checked resistance of those wires from the box to the harness plug as well as continuity from the wires to the bars to make sure I didn't skin a wire when pulling them and that's good too, no shorts.

I have 12.3 volts at the battery and at the ignition switch. The main fuse is good. I'm going to put a charger on it anyway, but I don't think that is the issue. I checked all of the fuses in the right side fuse box and they are all good. I'm kind of at a loss right now on where to look next. It seems like it has to be a fuse but they are all good. Am I missing a fuse or circuit breaker somewhere?

Any insight or help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Justin

·
Super Moderator
60,894 Posts
I'm not sure if the stator has anything to do with it but that is a common problem with your bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I believe the stator would keep it from starting but I’m not sure it would cause this issue. I have also posted on the Delphi forum page. It looks like I have more troubleshooting to do. Hopefully with the cumulative knowledge available I’ll be able to get this worked out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I started chasing grounds and found that several circuits didn't have a ground. I hard-grounded one of them and everything came up. I started the bike and the wire I grounded wasn't too happy, started smoking, so I pulled the hard ground, but the weird thing is now everything is working, even with the temporary ground removed. Weird stuff.

·
Registered
19,912 Posts
You have a floating ground somewhere in your wiring. When you pull the hard ground, it should kill all circuits. The fact that the bike is now running with the hard ground off, tells me you've got a bare wire contacting metal somewhere else.

Reactions: wehr-me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'm not done, I'll be crawling that whole circuit later today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got a wiring diagram and traced every instance of the black/white trace and found ground at the harness for each of them, so no smoking gun here. There were some cut ends that may have been exposed enough to cause a short, but I don't know that for sure. As of now everything is working so I'm going to clean the ground wire at the battery and starter and move on like this never happened, hopefully it was a one time occurrence based on pinching the handlebar wires.

·
Super Moderator
22,034 Posts
glad to read your up and running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Still more to do before I’m riding but that’ll probably be done tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
22,034 Posts
thumbs up to you guys who make the effort to do take on these kind of problems...idiots like me foolishly pay thru the nose hoping the job actually gets done right. Then again idiots like me sometimes actually try to do some of these repairs themselves and create more problems than before they started. So we now have to pay even more. Its a crap shoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts