Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike in winter.png

Spotted this guy on his Ural yesterday with a temperature of -12C (10F)

He wasn't going fast, 80km max, but it would be a nippy ride.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I guess he HAD to be somewhere! That would be a tad uncomfortable. Hope he still has toes! :wayhappy:

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
sewerrat,
Was that somewhere near Red Deer? A couple of weekends ago we were on a trip from Calgary to Edmonton and stopped in Red Deer for a Starbucks & bathroom stop. I spotted a bike with sidecar (couldn't tell exactly the make as it was a ways back from the street but I assumed it was a Ural) filling up at the Shell gas station on 67th Street.

The temp that day was around -10 C if I recall correctly. Now there is a guy who doesn't let a little cold weather deter him from riding. The rest of us are just a bunch of wusses! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sewerrat,
Was that somewhere near Red Deer? A couple of weekends ago we were on a trip from Calgary to Edmonton and stopped in Red Deer for a Starbucks & bathroom stop. I spotted a bike with sidecar (couldn't tell exactly the make as it was a ways back from the street but I assumed it was a Ural) filling up at the Shell gas station on 67th Street.

The temp that day was around -10 C if I recall correctly. Now there is a guy who doesn't let a little cold weather deter him from riding. The rest of us are just a bunch of wusses! :biglaugh:
canuck,
yes it was just south of Red Deer, and it was a Ural.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
funny! Ride on, buddy, ride on.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
I guess he HAD to be somewhere! That would be a tad uncomfortable. Hope he still has toes! :wayhappy:
Probably not.... likely lost them the last time he did this:biglaugh:
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Ya know... if he has enuff crap plugged in.. ill bet he was toasty... heated gear does wonders!!!!

Reactions: RellaLou

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Yup heated gear does wonders......It's also a good idea to carry a small ball peen hammer to periodically knock the frost off the boys. :biglaugh:

We ride snowmobiles in much colder weather than that. :wayhappy:

·
Administrator
29,710 Posts
Unless a very serious emergency, this guy is just stupid
No way! The best thing about being a Ural driver is shocking folks like you. My new ural is more sure footed than any 4wd vehicle ive ever driven (including military Humvees). And with heated gear plugged in its just like riding on a 60 degree day.

Ive already had my daughter out in 4 inch deep snow on the roads in 15 degrees. Nothing bit a good time, with some hot cocoa when we were done.

Now that iI've been in heavy snow with it, I could actually see myself commuting 25 miles to work on the slab in the ural if the snow on the roads was deeper than 2 inches. I could dodge heavy traffic by riding down the median at 30 mph and cut my commute in half.

The new ural is a pretty spectacular machine, much better in snow than a 4wd or even my Awd subaru! Add some plug in clothes or some good layers and i could actually see why someone would drive the ural on that road rather than a car.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Oh i believe what they can do but in 9 degree temps i just want to stand in the warm house and look out the window lol, guess its what you get use to, id like to say im sorry for calling the guy stupid, that was wrong

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
The owner of the honda dealer in red deer rides his bike to work every day of the year. At least he did last year...... He's ridden a GW trike for the last 10-15 years. He's in his early 80's (years that is)........ Not sure how his health is recently....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The owner of the honda dealer in red deer rides his bike to work every day of the year. At least he did last year...... He's ridden a GW trike for the last 10-15 years. He's in his early 80's (years that is)........ Not sure how his health is recently....
He still does ride it, co-worker saw him there last week, trike was parked nicely under the front door awning.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Gene,
When winter arrives does he switch over to snow tires on the back of his trike like we do on our cars and trucks?
:wayhappy:

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've commuted down to 19f no heated gear it's all in how you dress. I do have a problem with my fingers staying warm, get off eevery 20 minutes or so and hold them next to the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Gene,
When winter arrives does he switch over to snow tires on the back of his trike like we do on our cars and trucks?
:wayhappy:
He might do that Al. All I know is that one April, about 6 years ago he rode it from Red Deer to Olds for a CMA sunday morning service after an Alberta blizzard/blow that, over the previous 18 hours had dumped a foot of wet snow......:eek:utcold: and he was early!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts