Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kawasaki did their homework when it comes to this bike being serviceable. Everything and I mean everything that NEEDS to be replaced on a periodic basis, CAN BE with minimal tools and fuss.

I just changed the coolant, plugs and oil and I DID NOT have to take my tank off!!!!!! I was blown away by how easy everything was to get to!!! Now that the maintenance is done, time to pack for OctVRfest!!!!

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Here are some Scout pics for you....

Cut away of the engine

And just let me add, a discussion of the Scout or the Kawi 900 is in no way intended to malign the beloved Suzuki C50 or the VL800, great bikes they are. Fantastic, wonderful great bikes.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
the scout looks nice
until i see 3.3 gal fuel tank

·
Registered
671 Posts
Be very very careful - you may hurt some people's feelings here by complimenting another manufacturer's bike and then be asked to leave the site.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
No kidding! Don't mention any honest criticisms either or the same will befall you!

But that's only by a select few who will only accept sunshine and rainbows.

The Vulcan 900 is NICE to ride. Smoother, more power (enough to notice), far more relaxed at a highway pace. It's a great bike.

·
Super Moderator
34,433 Posts
the scout looks nice
until i see 3.3 gal fuel tank
That was my thought. I got so excited when I saw it and then saw the tank size. If I rode it the guys I ride with would tar and feather me for having to stop for gas constantly. I'm really hoping Indian offers an optional larger tank for it cause I really like the bike otherwise.

·
Registered
274 Posts
After the total loss last week of my 02 Volusia, I am signing papers on a brand new 2013 Vulcan 900 LT.
Thanks Skrap for your insights on the Vulcan.
Will have to update my profile once they do the build.

Reactions: 10-64

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
a local dealer has 2013 leftover 900's for 6500.

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll take having to pull two 10mm bolts to remove a six ounce piece of metal every other service interval, vs having to spend thirty minutes removing all the Tupperware from my wife's bike every time I need to change the oil.... :way happy:

·
Registered
21,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, yesterday was the first time I've gotten to take the Vulcan on the good mountain roads in central pa. Oh my, how it performed!!! Riding two up, with my son in pillion, it ran up and down the grades like they were nothing. And the handling? It was sooooooooo much better than when we last came this way and I was on the c50. The biggest improvement is the rear disc brake that will actually slow the bike, instead of just thinking about it.... I was able to ride more aggressively into the corners, trail brake and set up my exit in ways I never could before on the C50. Plus, the additional power the engine produced is noticeable.... Happy happy happy...... Right up until I got to throw leg over a new Indian....... Oh my, was that wonderful....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Be very very careful - you may hurt some people's feelings here by complimenting another manufacturer's bike and then be asked to leave the site.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

The Indian Scout demo tour will be stopping in my city on the 23rd - hope to try one out. :)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I started riding on the low end Vulcan, the 500. Looking back I realized how "top heavy" she was, and that negatively affected my cornering and maneuvering. Do you feel any top heavy tendency with the 900, or was it just my experience with the 500?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
When I looked at Vulcan 900, the dealer knew I wanted a new bike to make riding two up with the wife easier to do than on my Silverwing. I liked the look of the Vulcan 900; the dealer cautioned me the Vulcan 900 was top heavy and I would be happier with the C50 better suited to two up riding because it was not as top heavy as the Vulcan. The dealer I was at sold several brands including Suzuki and Kawasaki.

Reactions: RellaLou
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.