Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first mod I accomplished on my C50 was to buy and install VA lowers. They provided much needed relief from the head buffeting; didn’t totally eliminate the problem but close enough. A couple of things motivated me to tackle this project. First, I didn’t like having to move the turn signals to the forward holes (didn’t want to drill holes in the OEM lightbar and side mount them either). Second, I needed to build something. Sitting at a desk day in and day out doesn’t feed certain parts of the soul. Finally, I thought I could get a little better performance than the VA lowers.

Here’s a pic of the finished project, caught a bad angle for glare but you can see the shape clearly:

They work really well. A plus in these cold weather days is they block most of the wind off my legs. They may block too much for summer riding. We’ll see.

I read a ton of DIY lowers posts and really appreciate the ideas and innovations contained in them. I decided on the main mount point being the windshield bracket, using ¼” Lexan for the lowers, and making sure the lowers extended up under the windshield. The underlapping seemed to be key based on results from big ed, cavie, Thunderhoof, Tuggin850, and others.

The most difficult part of this project was determining the best construction for the mounting brackets. After much trial and error I finally went with 2” x 2” angle aluminum to shape from. This size allowed the lowers to clear the underside of the lightbar with one piece of metal. Here’s a pic of one raw and one mostly sanded.

Alignment parallel to the forks was achieved by drilling the back hole in the bracket, clamping on a straightedge that ran a good ways down the fork, put the back bolt in snug and rotate it into the desired position. Mark the front hole position using a stubby pencil from the backside through the bolt hole. Here’s a side view showing the resulting alignment.

I covered the Lexan on both sides with blue painters tape and then cut it with a variable speed jig saw on the slowest setting using an Ace Hardware Carbon Steel blade #2011831. The holes were drilled with the final desired size (no pre-drilling), again with slow speed. Initial sanding was done with a belt sander and the lowers clamped together. Final sanding was with an orbital sander using successively finer grains of sandpaper and some hand sanding. Pretty much the same procedure when sanding the brackets smooth.

I’m not real happy with the lower clamps. I’ll be looking to replace those.

And alas, I think I’ll have to do more cutting. I just ordered some Barons Engine Guards. I’m sure there will be interference.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I used Memphis Shades brackets. They will move your lowers forward a bit along the fork line if you install them the way i did.

How does the buffeting compare to the Value Accessories Lowers? I know you will get better leg protection with yours but was there a noticeable diffence in head buffeting?

My lexans work ok but I kinda like the chrome look.

BTW nice job. I have made 2 sets of different sizes myself but I have the OEM turn signals . One set is a bit too warm on the legs in Summer but are easy enough to swap out for the colder weather. The original Memphis Shades you can see overlayed in the picture did not work well at all for me with respect to buffetting (these are the shorter of the 2 sets I made I dont think I have a picture of the longer set I made)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Great job kcroz- reeaaal nice. I'm wondering, how did you attach those hose clamps to the lexan on the bottom part of the lowers? Can you post a close up pic of that area? Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does the buffeting compare to the Value Accessories Lowers? I know you will get better leg protection with yours but was there a noticeable difference in head buffeting?
They eliminate head buffeting about the same as the VA lowers, maybe a tad better.

I like the looks of the VA lowers better too. I really like those MS brackets…may have to get some.

I installed a Baron Engine Guard last night and the lowers hit a bit on full wheel turn. I’m going to scallop out 3/10” where they hit (yep, it was that close), hopefully today. It’ll give them a little more character.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a 2006 C50T with the chrome VA lowers and it really made a positive difference. After not riding for 18 months (had to sell the 2006) I bought a 2012 C50T and put the Memphis Shades lowers on. I believe these are slightly better at wind deflection in the leg area but I did have an 18 month gap so my comparison could be flawed. I have also had a 60th birthday since then as well......

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you post a close up pic of that area?
Sorry Thunderhoof, overlooked your reply. You had to ask for a closeup of the part I was most unhappy with, huh? :biglaugh:

I layered some electrical tape on the backside of the clamp and trimmed it flush with an exacto knife to keep metal off metal. Polished up the front side with a Dremel tool. The pic says it all but after attaching the lowers with the hole pre-drilled, I attached the clamp where it lined up. Bent the trailing piece 90 degrees to line up with the hole and then drilled a hole in it from the front. Trimmed off the excess and put a small bolt through it. Looks okay from the front. Not so much from the back. Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nice work!
It looks like a cutout was made for the turn signals. How did you measure that one. I've been trying to figure out how to get around the factory lightbar signals and that is perfect.
Cheers.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work!
It looks like a cutout was made for the turn signals. How did you measure that one. I've been trying to figure out how to get around the factory lightbar signals and that is perfect.
Cheers.
Began with a cardboard template and progressed to one made of thin wood (I knew I'd find a use for that scrap I've been saving all these years). The trick is to cut a hole bigger than what you want, mount it into position on the bike, and then fine tune it by taping a poster board cutout. Now you're ready to transfer the template to the Lexan. BTW, at the top of the thread I mentioned the bracket was made from 2" x 2" angle aluminum. I wasted a lot of time and effort trying to go with something less. The 2" depth will allow the lowers to slide under the lightbar.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thanks kcroz for the pic n' info. When I made my lowers I was trying to figure out how to complete the attachment at the bottom of the lower. After scratching my head for a while I decided to only attach it at upper portion. Your idea works, you did a great job!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts