Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the scoop. I bought this as a basket case. Engine was puller because of timing chain tensioner was out. The guy I bought it from was a suzuki tech at a dealership. Said he went on and re rang it due to the high miles since he had the jugs off. I installed the engine and it went pretty smooth. When I start the bike at idle the rear cylinder does not fire. I dont care how much throttle you add it will not come to life. If I turn the bike off and start it with adding some throttle the rear cylinder fires? If you let the throttle drop to an idle it stops for I and of cousre the engine starts to run like crap. Then you have to kill it and re start ot woth throttle applied. So it makes ot a night mare to ride in traffic being you have to keep the idle up so the rear cylinder with continue to fire. I checked compression and im at 165psi on the rear. I took the front cylinder injector out and swapped it to the rear one to see if I could follow the dead cylinder problem. Ive pulled the plugs and put new ones in it as well as checked the fire on the rear cylinder. It sparks great! Im stumped and the local shop said they have never heard about this. Its an 08. I understand it could be timing in the rear cylinder but wouldn't it run like crap the whole time? Any help would be amazing!!!

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
I hate to tell you, but your rear compression is low. It is supposed to be 235-185 psi. The service limit is 155 psi. If the tech 're-ringed' the cylinder, then he didn't do a very good job....

The rear needs three things to fire. Air, fuel and spark. You've already checked the obvious, time to look at the less obvious. It could be a vacuum leak, a problem with the cylinder head gasket, a spark advance or timing issue or something along those lines. I don't have any quick fix answers for you.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its just hard for me to think that it is a compression issue. Its runs out great with plenty of power this being my fourth one Ive done so I know how it should run. I didnt know if there was type of throttle position sensor on these or a sensor that tell each injector to deliver fuel or not. Idk. I guess I may just take it to the shop and let them tell me what's up with it

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
I don't know if it is a compression problem or not that is causing the running issue. But 165 psi is borderline acceptable compression. There could be an assembly problem, a valve could be stuck open, a problem with the head gasket or the piston rings could be too small. There are a hundred different possibilities as to the low compression.....

As the the running issue, it sounds like a sensor issue or a timing issue, maybe on the outside a vacuum issue. Something is preventing the fuel injection from delivering fuel on the compression stroke. It could be the TPS, or a crank sensor? I don't know. Unfortunately a new throttlebody with injectors is $700 so it is not something you can just order to throw in and see if anything improves....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea there is two. I actually swapped the injectors on the throttle body to see if it was a stuck injector. It didnt help any. Yea guys I think my knowledge has run out. I guess ill get it in the shop and see what they say. Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts