Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading tons on middle or lower fairings depending on how you see it.
I have a 2006 c50t with stock shield and Lindby Hwy bars. I am trying air chaps right now and love the difference it can make with the awful wind buffeting coming up around the gas tank. EXCEPT, the air chaps act like a sail and in 30-40mph winds coming straight out of the south (Kansas breeze), my bike is maxed out at 75/80mph on the highway and the chaps are acting like a wall. I also have to hold on more as the bike is not as steady (no problems going North with the wind though). Are the VA chrome fairings better for that kind of riding? I do end up traveling a couple times a month on the turnpike which will likely have me driving into the wind for a couple of hours. I need some type of fairing to deal with the head buffeting. I had headaches and joggling vision. I have asked the air chap designer about angling the chaps a bit but am waiting for staff to return to business hours before they answer my questions. Thought I would see what the forum offered in information. I am paying the money for fairings rather than making my own as I don't have the equipment nor the space to even consider buying the right tools. Plus, I am no good at making things like this. Thanks
:wayhappy:

·
Registered
272 Posts
The VA Lowers are great but if you have an OEM lightbar, you'll have to relocate the turn signals.

Another member, maybe a few, suggested the Memphis Fork Deflectors as a good alternative: Memphis Fork Deflectors

As far as the Air Chaps, I use highway bar chaps in the winter to help keep my feet and lower legs warmer, not to combat buffeting. They're off the bike now...too hot.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The lowers deflect wind from coming under the windshield, over the tank, and into your head (producing the buffeting). The VA lowers worked good for me but I did have to relocate the turn signals.

No real issue with headwinds but with any vehicle, wind resistance is the main force to overcome. With a 20 mph headwind it's like going 80 mph when you're only doing 60 mph.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The lowers deflect wind from coming under the windshield, over the tank, and into your head (producing the buffeting). The VA lowers worked good for me but I did have to relocate the turn signals.

+1 on the VA lowers. I wear glasses under a 3/4 helmet with a visor. My specs vibrated like crazy before the lowers were installed. I was pleasantly suprised by the difference.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!! I do have a windshield and lowers. I have seen the air chaps but the Kansas wind would really make a difference on the bike. Wind is a constant in my part of the state and I'm not sure I want to attach two sails to the bike. It is tempting to squeeze the grips harder in the wind, be careful with that. You can tire yourself faster and end up fighting the bike instead of riding the bike because of the wind.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
which lowers do you have guitarJim? how do they handle on the highway at speed going into the wind? I'm trying to determine if there is a better fairing/lowers than AirChaps. If VA chrome model handles the wind better and the buffeting issues, then I will switch. Thanks to all who are willing to give their experience with this.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
My lowers are the National Cycle chrome lowers. Do you wear a helmet and how aerodynamic is it? Also, the height of your windshield will impact the buffeting. If the buffeting comes from crosswinds, the lowers and windshield have limited effectiveness. If traveling 75mph, you may be combining the buzziness of the bike with the wind. Getting a headache from riding wouldn't be fun at all.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Bar chaps are not for buffeting. Lowers attached to the windshield or forks do that. They keep the wind from hitting the tank and coming up in your face. They work well. Chaps are for keeping you feet and shins dry and/or warm. I leave the chaps on my VTX 'cause I have two big sails (fenders) on the back anyway. I can't do a **** thing about the gas mileage. :wayhappy:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I agree about the side winds, can't do a thing about it.
My helmet is a modular which may be an issue but it's snug and tight. I am going to try a full helmet soon and see if that helps for the long days on the highway. The lower/middle fairings on the shocks do help with the wind coming up the tank. I just may have to deal with the fact that Kansas strong winds will suck the gas up and be sloppy for riding against.
My windshield is now set at halfway point. I think that's the best for now at my height. Otherwise, the airchaps are a charm!! If you want clear and not chrome, they are great, but could be more adjustable like some plexi plastic models. Can't have everything I s'pose. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
already raised the shield to that height, on my own too. :) I think that I just have to accept that Kansas has crazy winds and heading directly into them will be an issue. Was about to ride to my other work location (35 miles) today but after seeing heavy barrels flying out on the road from the wind and reading about the wind warnings, I thought "best not". Unfortunately, heading home at 6pm , perfect riding weather. sigh&^$% wind!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I rode in the wind here today. Rode in the middle of the lane to make sure I could stay in the lane. Had a nice lean into the wind. Was great later but I wasn't riding, unfortunately.
The help was more for alignment, not that you couldn't raise it on your own; I knew you could.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts