Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to take my first truly solo long distance ride. Any words of wisdom from those of you that have done it? I'm riding from my house in Florida to my house in Pennsylvania. I have ridden quite a bit of long distance with others but never by myself. I'm planning two six hundred mile days. Any thoughts as to any precautions I should take other than the usual stuff?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
FX4 said:
Damn Rick I thought you were MIA. How have you been?

Great! Been really busy at work lately, so I haven't had time to post much. Should be getting back to normal here shortly!

When are you heading for FL? We'll have to try to get together when your here!

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
2 words... fatigue management...

energy bars are better than large meals, large meals tend to leave you tired. You should be fine if you are stopping for gas regularly. Tunes help, get some earbuds and an mp3 or satellite radio. Make sure your cell phone has emergency numbers in it, and speaking for personal experience, keep your cell phone in a saddlebag. if you go down, it might "break" your fall and be worthless. take enough tools to do simple repairs, maybe an air pump that will get you to the next town for a tire change if needed.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This week. I'm heading down tomorrow night. I'll be there through Sunday. It would be great to get together with you guys.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PhL0aTeR said:
2 words... fatigue management...

energy bars are better than large meals, large meals tend to leave you tired. You should be fine if you are stopping for gas regularly. Tunes help, get some earbuds and an mp3 or satellite radio. Make sure your cell phone has emergency numbers in it, and speaking for personal experience, keep your cell phone in a saddlebag. if you go down, it might "break" your fall and be worthless. take enough tools to do simple repairs, maybe an air pump that will get you to the next town for a tire change if needed.
Thanks Phl0ater.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
FX4 said:
This week. I'm heading down tomorrow night. I'll be there through Sunday. It would be great to get together with you guys.

Wed late afternoon is best for me. I'm sure Dave will jump in here soon. I have my folks coming over Thurs and Fri. I have to work Wed, but only for about half a day.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CyBeRDiVeR said:
FX4 said:

Wed late afternoon is best for me. I'm sure Dave will jump in here soon. I have my folks coming over Thurs and Fri. I have to work Wed, but only for about half a day.
I'm pretty certain I can do Wednesday afternoon.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
FX4 said:
Red-C-50 said:
bike trailer!!
:lol: So that's why you haven't wanted to ride with me....might get that purdy thing dirty :wink:
I would offer to ride along with you.... But then it kind of defeats the whole Truly solo ride post thing.......

Oh yeah BATTERY CHARGER!!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Red-C-50 said:
FX4 said:
Red-C-50 said:
bike trailer!!
:lol: So that's why you haven't wanted to ride with me....might get that purdy thing dirty :wink:
I would offer to ride along with you.... But then it kind of defeats the whole Truly solo ride post thing.......

Oh yeah BATTERY CHARGER!!! :lol:
LOL...took care of that battery charger thing.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
....mmmmmmm.....Me ....sounds like a great ride......as phloater said bout sums it up......main key have fun...oh ya should come out to macs next weekend too....... :lol:

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
And take your spare key. You really don't want to be out by yourself and loose your only key to the bike that is not several states away. It didn't happen to me but to a good friend of mine. I can learn form other peoples mistakes(sometimes)

Have a good trip.
Rex

·
Administrator
53,914 Posts
FX4 said:
CyBeRDiVeR said:
FX4 said:

I'm pretty certain I can do Wednesday afternoon.
Ditto!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Rodog said:
oh ya should come out to macs next weekend too....... :lol:
i'm leaving for macs friday afternoon, your welcome to come along with me and mole.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rodog said:
....mmmmmmm.....Me ....sounds like a great ride......as phloater said bout sums it up......main key have fun...oh ya should come out to macs next weekend too....... :lol:
Naples to Detroit.....hmm that would be a long ride :shock:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts