Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was ridding down i77 this morning heading down to a nice little cruzing spot I know when a motorcycle of some kind past me like I was sitting still even though I was running on the better parts of 85 mph I was thinking to my self was another one of the dang croch rockets as it went by me so fast I didn't get a good look went on down the interstate about 10 miles and was running a lil low on fule so I pulled into a shell gas station and there it was a funny looking little Yamaha not a croch rocket but not a cruzier ether I waited a few mins after filling up and no one came out so just to see I went back inside to the restrant that was there and asked who owned it a younger guy around 30ish came out and said it was his I asked if he had a min I was curious about the bike never seen one befor he said sure walked out to the bike and give me the over view it was a 1700cc Yamaha V-MAX he said this thing had over 200hp and was a blast to ride I told him it was to dang scary looking for me we laughed and went our seprate ways but its funny I asked him what kinda bike it was and he said it was a drag bike like the V-ROD but last I heard the V-ROD has no where near that kinda power any of you ever own or ride one of these beast if so drop a line and fill me in a lil more about what that bike realy is ty for reading such a long and badly written story.

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
I had an '86 V-Max. If I remember correctly it was 143HP out of the box and minimal upgrades could give large increases in HP. It is a unique ride. Way more power than is ever needed on the road, but still fun as heck to own and ride.
New ones are fuel injected so I don't know what their power delivery is like. The older ones had four carbs, one per cylinder, with 2 carbs feeding each cylinder until a certain RPM (really don't recall, perhaps 3,500RPM) at which time a butterfly valve opened and allowed all four carbs to feed each cylinder. It would just about jerk my arms out of my shoulders when that butterfly opened. Again, going from memory but stock it pulled a sub-4 second 0-60, and sub-13 second quarter mile. It would break all legal speed limits before red-lining first gear. I saw 185 on the speedo one time.
Sadly, I wrecked it a few months after purchase, in a parking lot of all places. Purchased used for $2,800, put 5K on it in a few months, sold motor for salvage for $1,500. All said a great ride for the time and age. Wouldn't want my son to own one! ;)

I wish I was still young and dumb enough to purchase one of the new ones. I think they look BADA$$!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
New ones are fuel injected so I don't know what their power delivery is like. The older ones had four carbs, one per cylinder, with 2 carbs feeding each cylinder until a certain RPM (really don't recall, perhaps 3,500RPM) at which time a butterfly valve opened and allowed all four carbs to feed each cylinder.
That is interesting. I know that Yamaha designed (and perhaps even built) the V/8 engines for the original Ford Taurus SHO in the late 80's. It had an induction system with two intake runners to each cylinder; a short one for lower RPM and longer ones that would open up at higher RPM. Kinda sounds like they adapted some of the technology from the V-Max to that engine.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I worked as a set up man at a Yamaha shop when the V-Max came out and test rode the first one we got in after putting it together. At like 90mph in I think 2nd gear I remember being a little frightened when I hit 3rd and rolled the throttle! Love the bike but WAY more juice than I (as a 20 yr old) should EVER have access to!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The v max is 1200 cc. Not sure of hp but it is a bunch. When introduced in mid 80s, I think 85 they immediately took over the title from the honda magna v65 as fastest production bike. To this day they are still regarded super fast if street racing is your game. 1/4 mile in under 12, but not great cornering bikes. Have a friend up in Michigan who has one and he says thing scares him but he keeps riding it. Chuck

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't know they made them any other year the one he had was a 2014 with a 1700cc just know when he passed me he had to be on the beter parts of 140 mph

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep that's the one:wayhappy:

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
I was going to guess Mr. E :biglaugh:
:biglaugh:

The V-Max was designed by the engineers at Yamaha, simply, to be the baddest, fastest, quickets cruiser in the history of the universe. Its not much in the corners but it will outrun an F22 fighter to takeoff.

Yamaha really got it right with this bike. I have ridden many generations of VMax (the best one, a lady I know at work bought her husband one as a first bike, the only thing I was thinking was she was a very skilled banker and wanted to get rid of her old man for the insurance money

Anyway, the Vmax will stomp the guts out of Vrod, eat them and ask for seconds. It is even a lot, lot faster than monster overkill bikes like the Mean Streak and the Triumph Rocket III.

In short if you want a cruiser that can outrun a police helicopter in the 1/4, the V-Max is it. I also overall like the bike just as a bike and they are pretty reliable.

But theywere built to be fast, really fast... and it is. :biglaugh:

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
The V-Max is my dream bike. I was really close to getting an older one when I picked up my C50... I decided not to kill myself quite that quickly... but someday I hope to own one of the New models... they are a thing of beauty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.